BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I just spent a fair amount of time going over first reviews, I think I watched them all. What are your thoughts and impressions? Here are mine:

• I am a bit disapointed. I was hoping for better reviews honestly. Some of these guys were not really that impressed. Am I overreacting?
  • This car is fast! All reviews were constant on this. Bonus!
  • vs. Tesla Model3: i was hoping to claim victory here, but did not really hear anything saying the i4 is clearly better... although the interior quality is definitely better!
  • iDrive8: seems solid.
  • Handling: I was hoping to hear reviews on handling (corners, bumps) but did not get much really? Maybe needs to be tested on different roads.

Overall, i have always wanted a BMW, and I am still super excited about buying my M50, without even trying it. I just wish the reviews would have confirmed how I feel?? None of these guys were blown away, which is what I was hoping for.

How does everyone feel??

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't look at these as "reviews", but more like first impressions. Full worthy reviews will come around december or early january, atleast in Norway, that's when the dealers receive the demo vehicles.
But so far the impressions seems very good, people are excited, the car reeks of quality and snappyness in both construction and software.

Comparing it to the Tesla Model 3 I think is a bit unfair, since they use vastly different tech, and model 3 was designed to be a cheap car, BMW isn't and uses (in my eyes) for the most part superior tech. All the functions I find lacking or missing in the Tesla I am able to find in the i4.
But it brings a lot of hope for the comming months, and I can't wait for more.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I’m very happy with the first reviews. There was always going to be usual ‘it’s good but it’s not a combustion engine’ comments. Still for an EV the first impressions on driving feel are mostly positive. I’m not interested in the Model 3 comparison. I think that’s something the Tesla fanboys can concern themselves with. The Tesla doesn’t appeal to me in the slightest. BMW is a superior brand.

·
Registered
308 Posts
As CARWOW says: This car is almost M3 or M4 level in performance, albeit not 100% there on driving pleasure. If this means 90% there, them I am more than happy. I can live with the i4 not being the absolute best ever BMW driving machine. Because I know if I went with EV6, Model 3, Polestar 2 etc it would be much worse.

The i4 has all the tech I want, the design and cabin feel I want, the quiet interior at high speeds. I can tick all the boxes. The lack of a frunk, the high weight, I can live with that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Reviews of i4 were never going to be out of this world: Tesla has set the performance bar so high and the Big Three Germans have got the quality feel of their cars just impeccable. You can't beat that with 70 000 euros. Instead, i4 seems to be a very nice mix of both worlds with no major drawbacks. Sure, I will miss the Supercharger network but the quiet and luxurious cabin and great service network will more than compensate that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My biggest call out from the reviews was the Autogefuhl one where he had a bit of a fight with the steering under full power. My Tesla M3P does that, I was hoping the M50 wouldn't.
I did not like his review at all, there where some good points, but he could have had much more things to point out in sveral areas, also he did not sayed how the steering was in different modes and speeds.
Also if he has such a strong point wouldnt it be nice to contact BMW for a feedback to put it into his own comments? So this all is pretty superficial, which he is actually not.
So maybe he had not time of whatever...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did not like his review at all, there where some good points, but he could have had much more things to point out in sveral areas, also he did not sayed how the steering was in different modes and speeds.
Also if he has such a strong point wouldnt it be nice to contact BMW for a feedback to put it into his own comments? So this all is pretty superficial, which he is actually not.
So maybe he had not time of whatever...
The steering part is fine for me it is his own opinion and who am i to disagree when i have not driven the Car yet.

Some other parts in his review are just petty tho, especially having watched his revew of the Etron GT RS
Space in the Front compromised according to him because it is an ice platform, space in the back also compromised because of the Platform, middle tunnel because compromised car. Consumption 19 kwh/100km not bad for a compromised car like that.
In the Etron Video, a car with even less space all arround despite being longer he calls the back seats cozy and explains how smart the Engineers are to include a middle tunnel in order to fit more battery.
Also consumption of 24kwh in the etron, no comment about that at all...

·
Registered
190 Posts
  • I am a bit disapointed. I was hoping for better reviews honestly. Some of these guys were not really that impressed. Am I overreacting?r
  • This car is fast! All reviews were constant on this. Bonus!
  • vs. Tesla Model3: i was hoping to claim victory here, but did not really hear anything saying the i4 is clearly better... although the interior quality is definitely better!
  • iDrive8: seems solid.
  • Handling: I was hoping to hear reviews on handling (corners, bumps) but did not get much really? Maybe needs to be tested on different roads.
Disappointed. really? Why? In most of the reviews I saw, the car journalists all say it's a great car. Nobody said: hmmm...not really what I expected, or, what in Gods name is this? No, everybody had very positive thoughts about the i4. Now, I have to say, 95% of the reviews where about the M50, only a few about the eDrive40. Oh well, I don't care about the eDrive40, I ordered an M50 :ROFLMAO:

Fast Car: absolutely. Those 795nm don't lie... They'll push you forward.

Tesla 3? Well you cannot deny that Tesla 3 is faster, has a bigger range, and has a weird interior (I didn't say ugly, cuz I kinda like it). But overall the i4 is the better car: better seats, still some important buttons on the dash, so you don't have to scroll through a zillion of menus, better handling (yes, they all say that), and it still feels like a BMW. You just don't have the beautiful sound of a fossil-fueled engine

Handling: there is a review somewhere (can't find it though) where the car is still unrevealed, that is, still that "encrypted" color. There the guy is really testing it in corners and so on<;

So, I think very positive about the M50 and I can't wait, although I'll have to :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
What I find interesting is that none of the reviews talked about the weight difference between the gran coupe versions and the electric gran coupe versions.
Electric versions average 850lbs more. A handling comparison might be interesting.
Also all versions of the gran coupe are electronically limited to 130 mph, except the I4-40 which is limited to 118.

·
Registered
77 Posts
There are 2 BMW i4 registered and with number plates in Norway now. It may not be long before Mr. Nyland drives his 500 km test in a beautiful M50.... (y) 😁
I imagine it will be somewhere early next year, since I hope those that preordered the car will get a chance to drive it first.
But I also hope Bjørn will be early, since he bring information you just can't get else where.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts