BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen data on how certain tinted windows ( which are not all dark) by keeping solar heat out in summer and preventing loss of heat in winter reduce hvac use and extend range?

·
Registered
28 Posts
My experience with a testdrive in a 4 coupe grand toruring with tinted windows on a shady day was that the tinted rear window was to dark for me, especially in comparison to the front windows. It was was just as if it was daylight when looking forward and darker hours looking through the rear window. I found it to much of a difference in my opinions. This was not my experience in our BMW i3 with tinted windows. Probaly also caused by the narrower view through the rear window in the 4 series. Of coarse it is a matter of taste and it might be better for sun blocking.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My experience with a testdrive in a 4 coupe grand toruring with tinted windows on a shady day was that the tinted rear window was to dark for me, especially in comparison to the front windows. It was was just as if it was daylight when looking forward and darker hours looking through the rear window. I found it to much of a difference in my opinions. This was not my experience in our BMW i3 with tinted windows. Probaly also caused by the narrower view through the rear window in the 4 series. Of coarse it is a matter of taste and it might be better for sun blocking.
I have looked at tinting .There are only two numbers to look at: VLT visible light transmitted- the higher the number the lighter the tint ( there is a large range with some only very lightly tinted) ; and TSER total solar energy rejection - the higher the number the more solar energy kept out in summer and prevented from escaping in winter. Even a very light tint of a high quality product can have a TSER of 50. Most US states do not allow tinting the front windshield except for the very top.

·
i4 M50 18" 858 M San Remo Green
955 Posts
Tinted windows in the back are for me a mandatory option, not to keep the heat out in the summer, but because it just looks great on every car.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have looked at tinting .There are only two numbers to look at: VLT visible light transmitted- the higher the number the lighter the tint ( there is a large range with some only very lightly tinted) ; and TSER total solar energy rejection - the higher the number the more solar energy kept out in summer and prevented from escaping in winter. Even a very light tint of a high quality product can have a TSER of 50. Most US states do not allow tinting the front windshield except for the very top.
On our other cars, I’ve really enjoyed the 40% (VLT I believe) on all windows except front, which is 80%. And that’s the whole window, not just top. I like getting the 80% in the front since it helps with extra UV protection, glare and its legal.

·
i4 M50 18" 858 M San Remo Green
955 Posts
On our other cars, I’ve really enjoyed the 40% (VLT I believe) on all windows except front, which is 80%. And that’s the whole window, not just top. I like getting the 80% in the front since it helps with extra UV protection, glare and its legal.
Illegal in Belgium (and I think in most European countries) to tint the front windows.
In the back, you can do what you want, if, and only if you have 2 external mirrors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts