BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following link leads you to a webpage on which the tires are mentioned that BMW uses on their i4 vehicles in Europe.
BMW Tires G26

On the right side of those two pages, are links to the tires. Clicking on them leads you to the specifications of that particular tire: classes for fuel efficiency, for grip on wet surfaces, rolling noises, and so on...

The best 19" tire for your i4 seems to be this Hankook model: best for fuel consumption, bets for grip on wet surfaces, and the least noise making tire:
Product Font Rectangle Material property Screenshot

·
Registered
69 Posts
It’s been years since I had a pair of hankooks on my car. Overall was underwhelmed, I guess they were ok though, I think mine were s12’s.

I guess overall I just want a semi inexpensive set of tires that are quiet, grip and don’t wear out too fast. I think it’s one of those situations that you can only pick 3 of the 4 though.

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It’s been years since I had a pair of hankooks on my car. Overall was underwhelmed, I guess they were ok though, I think mine were s12’s.
Well, I never had Hankook on my cars. I always had Michelin, Pirelli, or Bridgestone.
In our lease contract, there are a number of sets of tires included, winter and summer tires. When I go to change from summer to winter tires, I always ask for Michelin. I usually also get them, although the lease company has to give their agreement. Once my summer tires are worn out, I then also ask for Michelin tires. They're the best...
Read on the internet: Hankook's top tier of tire is equivalent in price, quality and hence value as Michelin's medium high (not top) tier of tire.

Due we have influence on tire choice?
I don't think you can ask BMW to put tires of your choice. After delivery, you can do what you want of course.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Due we have influence on tire choice?

Well, I never had Hankook on my cars. I always had Michelin, Pirelli, or Bridgestone.
In our lease contract, there are a number of sets of tires included, winter and summer tires. When I go to change from summer to winter tires, I always ask for Michelin. I usually also get them, although the lease company has to give their agreement. Once my summer tires are worn out, I then also ask for Michelin tires. They're the best...

I don't think you can ask BMW to put tires of your choice. After delivery, you can do what you want of course.
You get what you pay for in tires. Usually if you try to save a few hundred on a set, you end up sacrificing something.
I get the sense I will be acting like a teenager most of the time, flooring it every or every other stoplight. This first pair is doomed.

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funny thing is that there are run-flats in that list, even though I read somewhere on this forum that run-flats are not supported on the M50...

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You get what you pay for in tires. Usually if you try to save a few hundred on a set, you end up sacrificing something.
True, but if these Hankook tires get an A-label for both Fuel Efficiency and Wet Grip, and on top of that make fewer rolling noises than other brands, they can't be bad...

·
Registered
G30 530e 2017, F40 118i 2020
29 Posts
I had hankook ventus S1 evo2 in my G30 and have to say that although they were good at stopping, they didnt help any with steering feel and response to steering was slow but steady and precision wasnt' that sharp. Its a bulk tire for people who wanted to drive "bulky" ... Finaly switched to continental premium contact 6 and while they far from the most dynamic tire out there, there was a night-and-day difference in how the car steers.

Expecting something similar here too. As I dont select performance rubber for my M50, those 19" probably will come with Hankook. Perf tires would be Pirelli, but traditionally they dont drive that well in Finnish roads, for they are not that suited for bad pavement and cold. So I dont want to pay premium to change to a tire thats also a so-so...

would replace with Goodyear, Continental or Michelin .. would love to stick in Michelin's PS4S for some epic drive, but lets be realistic, they range drop would also be epic.

·
Registered
307 Posts
would love to stick in Michelin's PS4S for some epic drive, but lets be realistic, they range drop would also be epic.
Hmmm, not sure. Tesla fit PS4S with a 'T0' designation as standard on the Model 3 Performance , range is not really impacted as far as I know. That said, they are not the most fuel efficient in thr ratings.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My i4 (leasing) will be delivered with all season tires.
@JST1963 a Sound difference of 3dB for the tires is nothing to worry about, in fact 3db is the threshold of human hearing to notice any difference.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Will it be possible to have 19" 245 tires in front and back? On the list, the rear wheels have to have 255 and front 245. I'd rather have the same size front and rear to be able to switch them.

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had hankook ventus S1 evo2 in my G30 and have to say that although they were good at stopping, they didnt help any with steering feel and response to steering was slow but steady and precision wasnt' that sharp. Its a bulk tire for people who wanted to drive "bulky" ... Finaly switched to continental premium contact 6 and while they far from the most dynamic tire out there, there was a night-and-day difference in how the car steers.

Expecting something similar here too. As I dont select performance rubber for my M50, those 19" probably will come with Hankook. Perf tires would be Pirelli, but traditionally they dont drive that well in Finnish roads, for they are not that suited for bad pavement and cold. So I dont want to pay premium to change to a tire thats also a so-so...

would replace with Goodyear, Continental or Michelin .. would love to stick in Michelin's PS4S for some epic drive, but lets be realistic, they range drop would also be epic.
Correct. Like I already said in post#4 higher up: Hankook's top tier of tire is equivalent in price, quality and hence value as Michelin's medium high (not top) tier of tire.
If at the delivery there would be Hankkooks on the M50, I would certainly ask for Michelins the next time...

·
Registered
457 Posts
My i4 (leasing) will be delivered with all season tires.
@JST1963 a Sound difference of 3dB for the tires is nothing to worry about, in fact 3db is the threshold of human hearing to notice any difference.
Actually in general 3 dB increase is a lot.

3 dB equals doubling of energy levels. The result is 23% increase in loudness.

A human would without doubt be able to hear a 23% increase.

But I agree, that the increase of tire loudness is hard to hear due to the soundproof effect of the car :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Jep 3 dB more means 23% louder. And plus 10 dB doubled loudness.

the Hankook s1 evo3 with A/A is a special EV tyre with foam in it.

If you chose sport tires you will get Michelin I think. My order says Pirelli P Zero or Hankook s1 evo3 and I didn’t chose sport tires.

Winter tires are Goodyear for me. In Norway they will get Nokian or so.

·
Registered
25 Posts
On all pictures of the I4 with the 20" rims I see the Pirelli tyres .. hope mine will get them as well because of the rim protection on those tires :LOL:

·
Registered
157 Posts
"By definition, one decibel (1 dB) represents the smallest change in volume a human ear can perceive. The average ear, however, can only detect a 3 dB change."
An increase of 3dB doubles the sound intensity but a 10dB increase is required before a sound is perceived to be twice as loud

·
Registered
315 Posts
The car I saw here had p zeros. Haven’t seen any with non performance tires yet. Don’t try to read too much into those labels. Tire manufacturers will start working with car makers years in advance in order to select the most suitable rubber for the given appliance. I’d be very surprised if someone here on the forum could someone outsmart BMW by going to their local tire shop and buy a pair of their favorite tire.
In Norway we will get a continental winter tire, I think at first we could also opt for the more ‘continental’ Goodyear tire. It will of course not be so good when the goon gets gets tough, but those softest winter tires feel a bit mushy to drive around with.

·
Registered
Kona EV, 335i convertible, K1600b mc
434 Posts
On the preproduction they had in Canada, it had Michelin Total Performance tires

·
Registered
Audi A5 2011
31 Posts
Will it be possible to have 19" 245 tires in front and back? On the list, the rear wheels have to have 255 and front 245. I'd rather have the same size front and rear to be able to switch them.
I've made a similar request to the dealer. Part of trading better wet/snow handling for dry acceleration. Looks like BMW has removed the 18" wheels from the US configuration.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts