BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pick up I4M50 Saturday Jan 28 in Western NY. Ordered Car in April, told I was #6 on list. Allocation occurred in October. Specifics of design and configuration set in early early November. Car assembly completed second week in December. Car arrived at dealer today and pickup as mentioned is Saturday. Dealer offhandedly said current wait is 18months.

There will be 20,000 things gone over and shown to me during the delivery. What does this forum think are 3- 5 most important things to be sure you get strait or understand during this orientation delivery experience.

I've asked the dealer the same question just now in an email and will report back to you all their view.
apologies if the question has already been raised.

· Administrator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
7,888 Posts
Set up all the keys and every memory element they tie to (profile, seats, HUD, etc.). This means fobs, key card, and digital key on phone/watch if they apply.

Look at the settings for all the driver assistance features on your car.

Look at the D mode recuperation level (try Adaptive first if you have it).

Look at the settings for the HUD displays (if you have it) and the other displays.

Set up shortcuts for things you'll use often.

Unlock the charging door permanently.

Those are some I can think of.

· Registered
438 Posts
Unlock the charging door permanently.
why? it unlocks with the doors. I guess depends where you live around here we have good old boy diesel truck kids who like to mess with evs. If i left my cover unlocked I sure sooner or later i would come out to something stuck in the terminals. just curious as to why you listed that.

· Registered
i4 M50, 19" Wheels
1,437 Posts
There will be 20,000 things gone over and shown to me during the delivery.
I wouldn't worry too much about this. Some dealers will take you through loads of things (which you will then forget), some will just show you the basics. I suspect my dealer didn't know much about the car.

Personally, my view is that as long as you know how to start the car and move off, you've cracked it. In default mode, the basics are like any car, right foot to go, left foot to stop. I'm not being flippant, I work with tech all day and I think the best way to learn new tech is a bit at a time. Your not going to take a lot in at the dealers, better to get used to the basics and how the car drives and then move on to, "OK, I've got this, now how do I do 'this'?". The dealer should also take you through linking your phone to the car and the BMW app. This is important and you can speed the process up a bit if you get yourself registered on the BMW website and get the app installed on your phone.

You've been waiting a long time for the car but only have a few posts. I hope you have been lurking! There is an enormous amount of useful information on the forum and their are members willing to help and who know the car much better than the dealers. Search for information here before posting, because many questions have been answered already. I knew a lot about the car, its features and limitations, before taking delivery, thanks to other forum members.

Update your forum profile with your specific model and tyre size and you can put more info about your car in your signature. Make sure your privacy settings allow this information to be seen by other members. Then, when you ask a question, people can give you an answer that is more specific to your car. You can see my profile on the left of this post and my signature at the bottom of the post.

If this is your first EV, I would definitely read this - Recommendations to understand Range and Consumption (you're slipping @ssh 😉) and also look at posts about regenerative breaking (bit like engine braking but much more controllable in an EV). @ssh has mentioned one of the D modes (there are others) but there is also B mode (one pedal driving), which is quite a bit different and some people's favourite 😁. You don't need to know any of this before you collect your car though, whatever the mode, the brake pedal still stops the car!

Don't worry too much about taking any info in at the dealers. Just revel in the experience of getting a gorgeous car. Take it gently (at first 😉) and come here when you get stuck with something.

Reactions: seemebreakthis

· Registered
i4 M50, 19" Wheels
1,437 Posts
why? it unlocks with the doors. I guess depends where you live around here we have good old boy diesel truck kids who like to mess with evs. If i left my cover unlocked I sure sooner or later i would come out to something stuck in the terminals. just curious as to why you listed that.
Some people have reported the locks failing and having to have the cars recovered or the hatch forcibly opened (and the lock replaced when the parts arrive - not a great look with gaffer tape holding the cover shut).

It is unclear whether this is the locking part of the mechanism or the release part that fails (the bit that unlatches when you press the cover). If it is the latter then having the cover permanently unlocked will make no difference to this issue. I, personally, park on street and have left the default setting of it being locked with the car.

Reactions: ssh

· Registered
50 Posts
Some people have reported the locks failing and having to have the cars recovered or the hatch forcibly opened (and the lock replaced when the parts arrive - not a great look with gaffer tape holding the cover shut).

It is unclear whether this is the locking part of the mechanism or the release part that fails (the bit that unlatches when you press the cover). If it is the latter then having the cover permanently unlocked will make no difference to this issue. I, personally, park on street and have left the default setting of it being locked with the car.
Wasn’t aware folks have reported issues with the charge door not unlocking. I will definitely set to unlock permanently. Somewhat related, it sure is unsettling when on a long distance trip in the middle of winter and you charge door freezes shut like it did on my wife’s ID4 over Christmas at an EA station. I had to bang it open on several tries and was worried I was going to damage it.

· Registered
i4 M50, 19" Wheels
1,437 Posts
Wasn’t aware folks have reported issues with the charge door not unlocking.
Just be aware that the issue is the door not opening. I don't think anybody knows whether it is a problem with unlocking or unlatching. If it is a problem with the unlatching mechanism (which is the bit that releases the door when you press on it), then keeping the door permanently unlocked will not make any difference.

Reactions: Kief

· Registered
61 Posts
A couple of things I plan to ask when I pick up my e40 are:
  • since I have a low-ceiling garage: how to set the hatchback height, and also how to stop it in mid-opening in case I need to
  • make sure I get my RFID card and get it set up, and also my EA charging card, if still applicable. I've read they sometimes hide these in odd places inside the car. Also I'll make sure I get these set up and linked to my BMW ID.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These are all great responses Thanks all. and absolutely agree with "best way to master the various elements of car is just use them." and also true that I won't remember anything from the delivery day a week later. I will update profile. great suggestion. FYI I ended up going with black sapphire metalic with cognac perf Sensa tec, carbon fibre trim added upgraded sound, premium pkg , parking assist, 19" wheels (all season), (one of the pkg's forces the drive recorder on me also) everything except the adaptive cruise control and sim card option - I was disappointed in std vehicle color options and couldn't rationalize the upcharge for the nicer colors so this will be my 4th black BMW in a row. I purchased the juicebox 40amp charge unit, paid electrician about $400 to run dedicated line to garage. Had a quote from someone recommended by BMW for ~$2,200 including a chargepoint charger - no comment needed.

Have been reading forum sporadically but enjoying it and learning a lot. I've asked dealer what software version car will be delivered with and if the car is likely to be included in the sudden stoppage recall. My guess is they won't be able to answer either question although on the recall the article the forum pointed us to by ARS technologies periodical suggests BMW may have addressed the software upgrade in cars manufactured after October 22'.

Will be taking a 300mi trip from Buffalo to Saranac Lk in Adirondacks ~ 1 week after delivery and will report back. Trip will be tricky as temperatures can get fairly low this time of year. EA locations not optimally situated on NY state thruway for this trip especially for winter. Need one in Syracuse, not 50m on either side.

· Administrator
7,888 Posts
A couple of things I plan to ask when I pick up my e40 are:
  • since I have a low-ceiling garage: how to set the hatchback height, and also how to stop it in mid-opening in case I need to
  • make sure I get my RFID card and get it set up, and also my EA charging card, if still applicable. I've read they sometimes hide these in odd places inside the car. Also I'll make sure I get these set up and linked to my BMW ID.
1 is in the Door settings. Very straightforward (and there's a graphic of the various setting heights).

There is no EA charging card. It's set up in an EA account and on the app.

Reactions: cjbeckmann

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 is in the Door settings. Very straightforward (and there's a graphic of the various setting heights).

There is no EA charging card. It's set up in an EA account and on the app.
Yeah I asked for a card for EA and dealer said you use the APP. Dealer thought I needed car production number to register with app. That did not work. I went back to dealer be text asking for a "enrollment code " the app is asking for. It was Sunday so will let you know tomorrow how it turns out

· Administrator
7,888 Posts
Yeah I asked for a card for EA and dealer said you use the APP. Dealer thought I needed car production number to register with app. That did not work. I went back to dealer be text asking for a "enrollment code " the app is asking for. It was Sunday so will let you know tomorrow how it turns out
The enrollment code is the production number followed by a dash and the two digits of the model year: nnnnnn-23, for example.

• Helpful
Reactions: cjbeckmann

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The enrollment code is the production number followed by a dash and the two digits of the model year: nnnnnn-23, for example.
Yup. that's what she sent me. thanks
loving car. so much to play with inside.
Dealer was unsure about what software version car built with or if it will need the sudden stoppage recall. Stay tuned.

· Administrator
7,888 Posts
Yup. that's what she sent me. thanks
loving car. so much to play with inside.
Dealer was unsure about what software version car built with or if it will need the sudden stoppage recall. Stay tuned.
You can see the version in the car by checking for updates.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts