BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2022 i4 e40, Tanzanite w/ Mocha Interior
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, someone was kind enough to slam their door into my car and managed to get a decent chunk of paint off. It's going to bug me, so I'd like to get it fixed sooner rather than later. Should I bother trying to touch it up myself or just take it somewhere? If I go the do-it-myself route, should I stick with the official BMW Tanzanite Blue kit or is there something better out there?

Water Atmosphere Liquid Fluid Astronomical object

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same thing happened to me. The most important is the application and you MUST be patient.
I have heard good things with DrColorChip that it is easy to apply but results may not match exactly.
I bought a kit from touchupdirect and I tried testing the color on their test card and it seems to match decently. I will let you know on my results when I try to fix my door.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Same for mine paint chip + dent and I am able to catch the driver of the car at fault so everything is fixed under insurance. But painting that little spot I was quoted 2k of work.

DIY is fine but remember there are sparkles in the paint so I believe it's a two stage paint so touch up might mend it but u could still see it under the sun.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
5,722 Posts
You all have convinced me that full PPF is the only way to go. Thanks for that. And I'm sad for what you've experienced. This is also a reason I enjoy a nice, long walk into my destination by parking way out in the lots.

·
Registered
'22 - i4 M50
570 Posts
Ouch!

I had a small dent / crease pulled out about a week ago using painless dent repair, so not a chipped situation but it still hurt. Had to remove the rear passenger wheel for my tech to access the quarter panel and he did the magic. Two phone numbers I have always handy: my PDR guy and AAA.

·
Registered
M50 San Remo Green Fiona Red/Black Extended Merino 15000km driven
308 Posts
You all have convinced me that full PPF is the only way to go. Thanks for that. And I'm sad for what you've experienced. This is also a reason I enjoy a nice, long walk into my destination by parking way out in the lots.
I always do this. Still i found a "doorslamdent" on my car this week.. only clear coat is damaged, but the dent is on the "line" in the bodywork on top of the door. Quite unsure how easy this will be to fix by the smartrepair shops..

By the time i grow old i will be hating people... 😂

·
Registered
'22 - i4 M50
570 Posts
Quite unsure how easy this will be to fix by the smartrepair shops..
PDR likely. The tech has to be very experienced to handle body lines, especially when it involves the door because of bracing / structure that can be in the way. After the crease is resolved, the clearcoat touch-up may not be needed but it depends on the extent of the damage.

·
Super Moderator
5,722 Posts
I always do this. Still i found a "doorslamdent" on my car this week.. only clear coat is damaged, but the dent is on the "line" in the bodywork on top of the door. Quite unsure how easy this will be to fix by the smartrepair shops..

By the time i grow old i will be hating people... 😂
I have one on my G20 about 1 cm behind the rear seam for the back door on the ridgeline. Dent guy couldn’t guarantee he could get it out, so I’ve left it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I received several quotes around $6K and it was a bit too steep for me. It sucks because I got my ding at my workplace where chargers are next to each other so parking far would not have helped in that situation...

·
Super Moderator
5,722 Posts
I received several quotes around $6K and it was a bit too steep for me. It sucks because I got my ding at my workplace where chargers are next to each other so parking far would not have helped in that situation...
I’ve never understood why people aren’t more careful? So sorry… 😢

·
Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40 MSport TBII
2,514 Posts
Has anyone on the Board had worse damage than mine yet?

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40 MSport TBII
2,514 Posts
Square-on, with the door closed:
Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Touchup paint is the least of my troubles. It may be months before parts come in, and months before a body shop can even get to it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
DIY is fine but remember there are sparkles in the paint so I believe it's a two stage paint so touch up might mend it but u could still see it under the sun.
If it's got sprinklies AND clear coat, it may be a three stage paint job. You will know that form the paint code and asking an auto paint supplier or a body/paint shop.

·
Registered
2022 i4 M50
163 Posts
I have one on my G20 about 1 cm behind the rear seam for the back door on the ridgeline. Dent guy couldn’t guarantee he could get it out, so I’ve left it.
I had one in a similar spot on my F92. I used a very reputable guy that does a lot of exxotics and such. He told me the same… but these guys can really be perfectionists and it was a small spot that I could only see at certain angels. He came to me with a full shade and lighting setup and spent a good 30 min or so on the car to get it right, only being able to work on the outside due to the location. He then offered up a discount because he thought it would have been harder (I refused it of course).

My wife opened out SUV door into the i4 this weekend… luckily no and just clear coat, so I feel good about doing that one myself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't think PPF will protect against the edge of a door banging into your paint. It's more for small rock chips and such.

·
Super Moderator
5,722 Posts
I don't think PPF will protect against the edge of a door banging into your paint. It's more for small rock chips and such.
It'll do a decent job. Just as with rocks, there's only so much it can do, but unless the person is an intentional jerk, it should help minimize the impact (so to speak. Hee, hee...).

1 - 20 of 59 Posts