BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 330i xDrive Portimao Blue
3,530 Posts
You all have convinced me that full PPF is the only way to go. Thanks for that. And I'm sad for what you've experienced. This is also a reason I enjoy a nice, long walk into my destination by parking way out in the lots.

·
Super Moderator
3,530 Posts
I always do this. Still i found a "doorslamdent" on my car this week.. only clear coat is damaged, but the dent is on the "line" in the bodywork on top of the door. Quite unsure how easy this will be to fix by the smartrepair shops..

By the time i grow old i will be hating people... 😂
I have one on my G20 about 1 cm behind the rear seam for the back door on the ridgeline. Dent guy couldn’t guarantee he could get it out, so I’ve left it.

·
Super Moderator
3,530 Posts
I received several quotes around $6K and it was a bit too steep for me. It sucks because I got my ding at my workplace where chargers are next to each other so parking far would not have helped in that situation...
I’ve never understood why people aren’t more careful? So sorry… 😢

·
Super Moderator
3,530 Posts
I don't think PPF will protect against the edge of a door banging into your paint. It's more for small rock chips and such.
It'll do a decent job. Just as with rocks, there's only so much it can do, but unless the person is an intentional jerk, it should help minimize the impact (so to speak. Hee, hee...).

·
Super Moderator
3,530 Posts
Sorry to hear about it Feeb. I’ve always just used the Manufacturer’s touch up paint for small jobs. If it’s really large an Auto Body Shop could paint it and blend it to match. They don’t always have to paint the whole panel.

I was at a recent AYSO event and the perking lot was crazy busy. I ended up parking out in the boonies. When the games start I’ll come early and park in a corner spot or out in the boonies.

Maybe it’s a BMW thing or maybe it’s a paper plate thing signifying a brand new car, but I’ve had a ton of people drive towards my car from the opposing lane and have had to react so as not to be hit. My son doesn’t think it will stop once I have my permanent plates on. I never had people drive Kamikaze style towards me when I drove Volkswagens.
One goes where one's eyes are... they are gawking at your car.

Reactions: LionXV

·
Super Moderator
3,530 Posts
Nothing will. Even parking far away is no guarantee but it's a really good first line of defense. The PPF is a second, first line if you consider the paint chip protection as the primary purpose. The remaining measures are unfortunately for repair, like PDR or spot touch-ups.

My PDR guy told me for my previous dent/crease that there was no way another car's door did it - he believed it was a branch that rolled up and caught the side ever so slightly. Go figure.
For me, I'm doing PPF for rocks, etc. (Colorado winters!). However, I was trying to decide if I really wanted to do full or just partial. This thread pushed me over to being sure I wanted full (I was most of the way there). And, agreed, it won't protect against everything, but it's likely to protect the paint from all but very sharp attacks.

Reactions: Feeb

·
Super Moderator
3,530 Posts
It really does rise very high. My lid aligned perfectly with a bolt on the garage door and took a chunk out of the paint. On the first day.
You can set the opening height, which I did after that. Now it opens just low enough so I can hit my head really good on the latch.
😕
You can also hit the button on the fob to stop it. Or just reach out and stop it with your hand!

·
Super Moderator
3,530 Posts
I was thinking about PPF as well.
What worried me about doing partial is my concern that the non PPF part will look different. Or am I wrong?
I have only the front 1/3 done on my 330i. I don't think anyone could tell the difference...

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Reactions: rickster_

·
Super Moderator
3,530 Posts
Thinking of getting partial PPF done, similar to what I think you've described as 1/3. Is it better to plan on using the natural body/door seams to hide the edges? I've never had PPF on a car before, so advice is welcome! Also thinking of doing the mirror caps.
Definitely. I don't like the lines anywhere. @Bimmer100 is an expert and has been generous with his insights on various threads here.

When I had my G20 done, I did the front (hood, quarter panels, bumper, mirrors) and did ceramic on the entire car. With the i4, I'm going to do the entire care in Xpel Fusion which has the ceramic in the PPF (again, thanks to @Bimmer100). I've posted a few photos on here of my 3 year old 330, and it still looks new.

• Love
Reactions: LionXV

·
Super Moderator
3,530 Posts
hope people will take it seriously and get their car protected before it’s too late. Imo get it done immediately! Even a few hundred miles is toooooo late and will have several chips if you wait. It’s a major relief to have ppf film out on first!!’ If you must budget… don’t waste Your money in things like tint, wheels, etc… these things are not important as they can be added later… ppf should always be done first!!! As your paint is naked and exposed to the elements. And you only get one chance to preserve it!!
I agree 100% having done this with my 3-year-old G20. I'll always do this to new cars from here on out. Although I'm going all-in with full PPF this time.

·
Super Moderator
3,530 Posts
My concern as I stated earlier was whether or not I could see the difference between the PPF covered and non covered parts. Would the non covered part age differently, etc?
I'd suggest using ceramic on the non-covered parts to align them. I cannot tell on my car where the PPF is and where it's not. The entire car got ceramic after the PPF install.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts