BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sorry to hear about it Feeb. I’ve always just used the Manufacturer’s touch up paint for small jobs. If it’s really large an Auto Body Shop could paint it and blend it to match. They don’t always have to paint the whole panel.

I was at a recent AYSO event and the parking lot was crazy busy. I ended up parking out in the boonies. When the games start I’ll come early and park in a corner spot or out in the boonies.

Maybe it’s a BMW thing or maybe it’s a paper plate thing signifying a brand new car, but I’ve had a ton of people drive towards my car from the opposing lane and have had to react so as not to be hit. My son doesn’t think it will stop once I have my permanent plates on. I never had people drive Kamikaze style towards me when I drove Volkswagens.

·
Super Moderator
2020 330i xDrive Portimao Blue
3,530 Posts
Sorry to hear about it Feeb. I’ve always just used the Manufacturer’s touch up paint for small jobs. If it’s really large an Auto Body Shop could paint it and blend it to match. They don’t always have to paint the whole panel.

I was at a recent AYSO event and the perking lot was crazy busy. I ended up parking out in the boonies. When the games start I’ll come early and park in a corner spot or out in the boonies.

Maybe it’s a BMW thing or maybe it’s a paper plate thing signifying a brand new car, but I’ve had a ton of people drive towards my car from the opposing lane and have had to react so as not to be hit. My son doesn’t think it will stop once I have my permanent plates on. I never had people drive Kamikaze style towards me when I drove Volkswagens.
One goes where one's eyes are... they are gawking at your car.

Reactions: LionXV

·
Registered
Ordered 2023 M50
149 Posts
You all have convinced me that full PPF is the only way to go. Thanks for that. And I'm sad for what you've experienced. This is also a reason I enjoy a nice, long walk into my destination by parking way out in the lots.
Will PPF protect from a nice slam from another car door? I think you still might get a dent.
That's why I park away from others.

·
Registered
'22 - i4 M50
451 Posts
Will PPF protect from a nice slam from another car door? I think you still might get a dent.
That's why I park away from others.
Nothing will. Even parking far away is no guarantee but it's a really good first line of defense. The PPF is a second, first line if you consider the paint chip protection as the primary purpose. The remaining measures are unfortunately for repair, like PDR or spot touch-ups.

My PDR guy told me for my previous dent/crease that there was no way another car's door did it - he believed it was a branch that rolled up and caught the side ever so slightly. Go figure.

·
Registered
2022 i4 M Sport, Tanzanite Blue, Mocha ventilated seats
983 Posts
Has anyone on the Board had worse damage than mine yet?

View attachment 16051
yes unfortunately........I was experimenting with "B" mode driving. Pulling into a parking space and it wasn't slowing enough, I panicked and went to apply the brakes, but hit the accellerator pedal instead and hit an exterior bld wall. Luckily it was mostly dry wall, but the repair estimate is $6500, because I scratched the $2800 right headlight. Entire front facia has to be replaced (BMW says only two available in the world), now waiting for it to arrive, so the car can be repaired. We'll at least it was my own doing and not some random vandalism or something.
Car Vehicle Grille Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
'22 - i4 M50
451 Posts
yes unfortunately........I was experimenting with "B" mode driving. Pulling into a parking space and it wasn't slowing enough, I panicked and went to apply the brakes, but hit the accellerator pedal instead and hit an exterior bld wall. Luckily it was mostly dry wall, but the repair estimate is $6500, because I scratched the $2800 right headlight. Entire front facia has to be replaced (BMW says only two available in the world), now waiting for it to arrive, so the car ca be repaired. We'll at least it was my own doing and not some random vandalism or something.
OMG, so sad to see. If it's just the bumper bits, it's not terribly bad!

On the topic of B mode, I always flip it back to D when going into parking routines - it was a quick adjustment because I could not judge B mode and therefore wanted to revert back to full brake control. Hopefully this is helpful to others who might be "experimenting" that it's better to go back into D mode for this.

Again, sorry lad!

·
Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40 MSport TBII
2,140 Posts
  • Helpful
Reactions: Feeb

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
yes unfortunately........I was experimenting with "B" mode driving. Pulling into a parking space and it wasn't slowing enough, I panicked and went to apply the brakes, but hit the accellerator pedal instead and hit an exterior bld wall. Luckily it was mostly dry wall, but the repair estimate is $6500, because I scratched the $2800 right headlight. Entire front facia has to be replaced (BMW says only two available in the world), now waiting for it to arrive, so the car ca be repaired.
Aw, that sucks. I definitely can understand that the need to remove pedal pressure is counter-intuitive when wanting to slow or stop. I find myself using B-mode less as time goes on, and certainly nowhere near as much as I used OPD in the TM3 I had.

·
Registered
235 Posts
yes unfortunately........I was experimenting with "B" mode driving. Pulling into a parking space and it wasn't slowing enough, I panicked and went to apply the brakes, but hit the accellerator pedal instead and hit an exterior bld wall. Luckily it was mostly dry wall, but the repair estimate is $6500, because I scratched the $2800 right headlight. Entire front facia has to be replaced (BMW says only two available in the world), now waiting for it to arrive, so the car ca be repaired. We'll at least it was my own doing and not some random vandalism or something. View attachment 16074
Sorry to hear it Dudenjen. Take it to a recommended BMW Auto Body Shop.

I tried B mode for all of 2 seconds and it scared me so bad I’ll never use it. I’m used to downshifting and coasting with a manual transmission which alerts people that you are slowing down gradually and reduces the risk of being rear ended.

When I was in B mode and took my foot of the accelerator it was like I slammed on the brakes hard. In my opinion that kind of driving invites disaster especially when people are high from smoking pot or looking at their phone instead of driving.

·
Registered
'22 - i4 M50
451 Posts
Sorry to hear it Dudenjen. Take it to a recommended BMW Auto Body Shop.

I tried B mode for all of 2 seconds and it scared me so bad I’ll never use it. I’m used to downshifting and coasting with a manual transmission which alerts people that you are slowing down gradually and reduces the risk of being rear ended.

When I was in B mode and took my foot of the accelerator it was like I slammed on the brakes hard. In my opinion that kind of driving invites disaster especially when people are high from smoking pot or looking at their phone instead of driving.
B mode takes a lot of getting used to, especially for people used to driving MT -- there's much to learn in this regard and I suspect that's why BMW made the D drive the primary and the B as secondary. At first, I thought -- why not B mode as primary? Well, now I understand that it's not set it and forget it, I have to conscientiously switch modes while driving in order to make sure I don't rear end somebody or some wall. It takes some time though.

·
Super Moderator
3,530 Posts
Nothing will. Even parking far away is no guarantee but it's a really good first line of defense. The PPF is a second, first line if you consider the paint chip protection as the primary purpose. The remaining measures are unfortunately for repair, like PDR or spot touch-ups.

My PDR guy told me for my previous dent/crease that there was no way another car's door did it - he believed it was a branch that rolled up and caught the side ever so slightly. Go figure.
For me, I'm doing PPF for rocks, etc. (Colorado winters!). However, I was trying to decide if I really wanted to do full or just partial. This thread pushed me over to being sure I wanted full (I was most of the way there). And, agreed, it won't protect against everything, but it's likely to protect the paint from all but very sharp attacks.

Reactions: Feeb

·
Registered
i4 eDrive40
7 Posts
First day, first time in the garage, my wife opened the trunk. Guess what happened! Hint: the trunk lid rises higher than on my previous 440i.
It really does rise very high. My lid aligned perfectly with a bolt on the garage door and took a chunk out of the paint. On the first day.
You can set the opening height, which I did after that. Now it opens just low enough so I can hit my head really good on the latch.
😕

·
Super Moderator
3,530 Posts
It really does rise very high. My lid aligned perfectly with a bolt on the garage door and took a chunk out of the paint. On the first day.
You can set the opening height, which I did after that. Now it opens just low enough so I can hit my head really good on the latch.
😕
You can also hit the button on the fob to stop it. Or just reach out and stop it with your hand!

·
Registered
Ordered 2023 M50
149 Posts
For me, I'm doing PPF for rocks, etc. (Colorado winters!). However, I was trying to decide if I really wanted to do full or just partial. This thread pushed me over to being sure I wanted full (I was most of the way there). And, agreed, it won't protect against everything, but it's likely to protect the paint from all but very sharp attacks.
I was thinking about PPF as well.
What worried me about doing partial is my concern that the non PPF part will look different. Or am I wrong?

·
Registered
'22 - i4 M50
451 Posts
What worried me about doing partial is my concern that the non PPF part will look different. Or am I wrong?
It's extremely hard to tell the difference between PPF and non PPF areas, especially if it was done correctly and with high quality film. I'll try and take a high quality photo of my hood where it's partial to show this...you can hardly find the PPF line on it.

·
Super Moderator
3,530 Posts
I have only the front 1/3 done on my 330i. I don't think anyone could tell the difference...

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Reactions: rickster_

·
Registered
'22 - i4 M50
451 Posts
Here's my partial hood. The sheen is virtually indistinguishable from the original clear coat, you can compare the passenger front fender (no PPF) with the partial hood (w/ PPF). However the line is visible because there's dirt built up there in the transition. When the car is clean, it's even less visible. Most of the time I have trouble finding it at a couple feet away from the car.

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
Ordered 2023 M50
149 Posts
Here's my partial hood. The sheen is virtually indistinguishable from the original clear coat, you can compare the passenger front fender (no PPF) with the partial hood (w/ PPF). However the line is visible because there's dirt built up there in the transition. When the car is clean, it's even less visible. Most of the time I have trouble finding it at a couple feet away from the car.

View attachment 16089
I saw it right away. That would bother me. Different strokes for different folks. May I politely ask why you just didn’t do the full hood?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
My wife opened out SUV door into the i4 this weekend… luckily no and just clear coat, so I feel good about doing that one myself.
Before I had even signed my contracts, let alone left the dealership, I had changed the rear hatch setting to open the minimum amount, specifically so I couldn't hit the tailgate on anything in my garage before I knew how far I could actually open it.

With my garage door down, I could open it to 4 of 5, and with the garage door up, I could open it to 3 of 5.

I have it set to 2 of 5 now, and just accept that hitting my skull is preferred to the car hitting the ceiling. 🤪

·
Registered
'22 - i4 M50
451 Posts
I saw it right away. That would bother me. Different strokes for different folks. May I politely ask why you just didn’t do the full hood?
It's a close up photo, I purposely made sure to capture the line. In a different photo, you simply cannot see it:

Car Vehicle Plant Grille Hood

The reason: I've always done it that way - the first 18" on the hood gets 99% of the damage I'm trying to defend against thus the partial coverage. The other thing I considered is removal of the full hood would be a pain compared to the partial. I've taken off PPF before, it's not fun. Depending on the formulation of the PPF, discoloration may occur and you will eventually have to redo at around 5-6yrs. It's more apparent on white paint, though.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts