BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5.0 V8 Range Rover, Smart Roadster
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I know it’s early days yet - but are any of you thinking of taking your cars on track days? Or do you reckon this would be a bad idea?

·
Registered
37 Posts
According to the i4 program director, it will be fine for a couple of laps, but they had to prioritize range over track performance.

"When you make the car for the race track, the range will go down very fast," Camacho told Road & Track during the first drive event for the i4. "It means, for me as a project lead, it was very important to have a rounded off concept including, of course, a good range and good charging performance. That's the reason why I decided not to go two steps forward."
So while the i4 M50 can hit 60 in under four seconds and makes 536 hp, an electric M4 it is not. Camacho says it'll be fine for a quick lap or so, but it's not designed for the sort of all-day abuse that an M3 or M4 is built to take. For that, you'll have to wait for a full-fledged electric M model to enter BMW's lineup.
"The first step was to electrify the first M model of the BMW Group as an M performance automobile," Camacho said. "That is the label: M Performance automobile. Of course, all the doors are open for the future, the goal and the next step is going to high-performance cars. It means we are starting and we're going one step after other until the right time."

·
892 Posts
Would you do it?

I will certainly not do it...
...and this for 3 reasons:
  • I'm too old for this kind of sh1t.
  • It's a company car. I think if my company would find out I'm playing with an €82.500 car on a track, I would not only lose my precious car, but also my job...
  • It would kill me... not the driving on the track (well, I hope), but the moment my spouse knows I was racing on a track, I would:
    • get (another) divorce
    • be brutally murdered "The Shining style"
So, thanks, but no thanks :(

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I don't do track days, it's expensive, and the car is not really built for it. I do plan to autocross it, a US thing where we run around cones in a parking lot against time (I think some call it slalom in some countries); each run is about 40-50 seconds, then we wait 5 minutes before the next run, so the brakes and motors have time to cool off.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I don't do track days, it's expensive, and the car is not really built for it. I do plan to autocross it, a US thing where we run around cones in a parking lot against time (I think some call it slalom in some countries); each run is about 40-50 seconds, then we wait 5 minutes before the next run, so the brakes and motors have time to cool off.

And the heart rate for us older folks.

In NC there is a mountain road called the Dragon's Tail, known for the continuous series of curves.

I may try that slowly once I figure out how to drive all tge options

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
And the heart rate for us older folks.

In NC there is a mountain road called the Dragon's Tail, known for the continuous series of curves.

I may try that slowly once I figure out how to drive all tge options
@gsbaker, we have several members in their 70s, and they enjoy themselves like everybody else. Actually I think the median age of my club is about 55 (non-scientific estimate).

·
Registered
301 Posts
@gsbaker, we have several members in their 70s, and they enjoy themselves like everybody else. Actually I think the median age of my club is about 55 (non-scientific estimate).
Reading about the Dragon's Tail I found a list of the people who have died there in the last year. About half were 70 -90 years old.

Perhaps there are no guardrails and the reflexes need to be younger.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That’s what I was wondering - would it be up to the job? The range would be a concern. Plus it’s a lot of car to bin accidentally. It’ll be my company car too, but it’s my company so I’ll do what I like with it. 😁

My problem is that my 19-year-old has been nagging me to go tracking, and I don’t really have a car for it. And I’ve blown the car budget on the i4, so I can’t have a Caterham or a VX220 now. 😂

Ah well - Smart Roadster it is, then! Thanks guys.

·
892 Posts
Well, you still have your Range Rover V8.... take that one to the track...

·
Registered
472 Posts
I may one day try the Nordschleife, as it has always been a dream. Besides of that, I will only be going up and down the most twisted roads I can find when the summer vacation goes to Italy or Switzerland 😁

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, you still have your Range Rover V8.... take that one to the track...
Yeah, I thought about that. It’s quick enough, I suppose. Not great on corners, though - and if you drive it flat out, you can actually see the petrol gauge moving down.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
That’s what I was wondering - would it be up to the job? The range would be a concern. Plus it’s a lot of car to bin accidentally. It’ll be my company car too, but it’s my company so I’ll do what I like with it. 😁

My problem is that my 19-year-old has been nagging me to go tracking, and I don’t really have a car for it. And I’ve blown the car budget on the i4, so I can’t have a Caterham or a VX220 now. 😂

Ah well - Smart Roadster it is, then! Thanks guys.
@Squirrel1974, here's a thought. Make him work for his car, something like Build Your Own Car - Roadster, Hot Rod, & Supercar - Factory Five Racing this way, if it breaks, he'll repair it, he won't ask for $ to go to a garage.

·
Registered
191 Posts
4000lbs+ cars are of limited fun at the track. 5000lbs+ cars are of even more limited fun. Slow down a lot, turn, point, accelerate. Repeat. Not a lot of possibility to carry weight through corners. If you try, it'll be a mess, I'd expect. There's just too much weight.

I used to run track days in the FRS. After I went off in the pouring rain at Laguna Seca and debeaded a tire, I thought that I'd rather be alive for my family and I didn't need the stress. I had two spares so it was not a problem, and I could have gone back for two more sessions, but...

My dad went off at Big Willow. I'd also gone off at Thunderhill. I only consider it going off if it's all four wheels. :)

I also tracked the E60 550i at Thunderhill a few times. It was amazingly fast in a straight line but not so much in the corners. I'd lose speed in each corner then pass people with so much speed in the straights, the corners didn't matter.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
4000lbs+ cars are of limited fun at the track. 5000lbs+ cars are of even more limited fun. Slow down a lot, turn, point, accelerate. Repeat. Not a lot of possibility to carry weight through corners. If you try, it'll be a mess, I'd expect. There's just too much weight.
@Jpuff, 4000+ pounds are fun in their own way at the track as long as they have the right chassis, right tires, brakes and engine - Acura NSX, Camaro SS 1LE, even BMW M3 or M4 xDrive are pushing 3900 pounds. Tesla Model S is 4600-4800 and set a record at the Nurburgring. I do admit that the i4 M50 is stretching the limit big time with its 5025 lbs, but having fun and having the fastest car are 2 different things. Of course, this is all speculation until we actually track the car, but I don't mind trying to make believe I'm Echo Gao...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Ok, the i4 M50 will be classified into the "Super-duper-stupid-heavyweight" class for the track.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Squirrel1974, here's a thought. Make him work for his car, something like Build Your Own Car - Roadster, Hot Rod, & Supercar - Factory Five Racing this way, if it breaks, he'll repair it, he won't ask for $ to go to a garage.
Yes, that's a good idea. He's got his own car anyway - I bought him a Mini last year. He could track that, though it's FWD so I don't suppose it'd be that much fun. And there's not a huge amount on it that's user-serviceable. A car he's worked on himself has much more chance of surviving on track because he won't want to damage it!

He's miffed that he was too little to come on track days when I owned TVRs. :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts