BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, few weeks ago. Is TJA and Assist Plus different? Can TJA work on local street traffic under 40mph? Assist Plus came on multiple times while in traffic on Highway 80 near Vacaville.

· Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
1,127 Posts
Assist plus (or tja) has to be on a closed road so it shouldn't work on local streets.

· Registered
542 Posts
Yes, few weeks ago. Is TJA and Assist Plus different? Can TJA work on local street traffic under 40mph? Assist Plus came on multiple times while in traffic on Highway 80 near Vacaville.
TJA and Assisted Plus are the same thing. I don’t think it works on local street but cruise control actually works on local road it follows car in front but won’t steer.

· Registered
30 Posts
I finally had Assist Plus show up after the software update, too. Was driving with my daughter on a local freeway, and she did not appreciate my excitement…

• Haha
Reactions: generic.user

· Administrator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
7,888 Posts
TJA and Assisted Plus are the same thing. I don’t think it works on local street but cruise control actually works on local road it follows car in front but won’t steer.
It absolutely will steer (lane keeping). You just have to have hands on the wheel.

Reactions: generic.user

· Administrator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
7,888 Posts
Hmm.. on local road it does steering? I don’t remember doing it will check it out again.
Yes. If you are in Assisted Driving mode, it will follow the lane. The only thing it won't do is Assisted Driving Plus (aka TJA) and let you take your hands off the wheel.

Note, however, that in my experience it disengages more often on local roads. I will once again write that this is a driver assistance system and in no way should be considered automated driving. It's not. And never will be.

· Registered
542 Posts
Yes. If you are in Assisted Driving mode, it will follow the lane. The only thing it won't do is Assisted Driving Plus (aka TJA) and let you take your hands off the wheel.

Note, however, that in my experience it disengages more often on local roads. I will once again write that this is a driver assistance system and in no way should be considered automated driving. It's not. And never will be.
When my TJA wasn’t working prior to software update dealer tested it on local road. I told them you cannot verify TJA without driving on freeway and in a traffic jam.

· Registered
125 Posts
It’s worked like a champ for me since Day 1 (December 9). I have not tried to engage it outside of a highway setting, but I am assuming that since the lane keeping indicator uses some of the same technology and it doesn’t work on my local streets that TJA would not engage as well.

· Registered
'22 - i4 M50
700 Posts
The way local roads and highways are designated by the mapping/ADAS software may have something to do with TJA's effectiveness or even it's use. I recently traveled in Napa Valley on the 12 and 29 "highways" and TJA worked. I say "highways" because 29 has a series of stop lights and cross streets, unlike the typical multilane freeways and TJA absolutely worked, of course under 40mph.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts