BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I Wonder, as I could Not See a 4 Gran Coupe or an i4 in real so far. What is your opinion or experience with transporting a dog in the trunk of the i4?

what size of dog would work? Is there enough light and air with the Top removed? Anyone tranporting a dog in an old 4 GC in the trunk?

thanks for your insights!

· Registered
316 Posts
This is exactly why I have Siamese cats.
Just kidding.

I have seen the trunk for real. The removable part is not very large, approximately 15 cm's deep. The dog would just be able to put his head in the gap, but I am not even sure that there would be sufficient space in the space between the gap and the rear window. The trunk is hidden from sight mostly by the trunk lid itself. In my opinion the only realistic option is to lower the back seats. If you love your dog, of course.

There seems to be a black cover unterneath the rear window. Maybe that can be removed. In that case it might work.

Check this out at appr. 4m00s:

· Registered
276 Posts
Hi all,

I Wonder, as I could Not See a 4 Gran Coupe or an i4 in real so far. What is your opinion or experience with transporting a dog in the trunk of the i4?

what size of dog would work? Is there enough light and air with the Top removed? Anyone tranporting a dog in an old 4 GC in the trunk?

thanks for your insights!
Welcome to the forum @Desolator. I wouldn't recommend putting any animal in a trunk. I'd recommend covering the back of the car with blankets or a cover and have them ride in the back. What kind of dog do you have?

· Registered
316 Posts
This photo makes it more clear. The small part directly behind the rear seats can be removed. The large cover is fixed and moves up with the trunk lid. Maybe that part can be detached. Even in that case your dog should not be too big though.

Car Vehicle Window Hood Automotive lighting

· Registered
2022 BMW i4 e40 Brooklyn Grey
195 Posts
I wouldn't recommend putting any animal in a trunk.
depends how would the dog be "packed" and secured in a trunk - this is what i can mout in my current car :)

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow thanks for the replies already! Well Security is not the Topic and yeah it might be better for the dog on the rearseats but its occupied by kids already or can the 3 seats be moved individually?

the dog is an aussie so around 50cm height and she loves travelling in the Trunk so far. OF Course I Need to make a testride with an i4. I am just too Hypes to abandon it already. 😂

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This photo makes it more clear. The small part directly behind the rear seats can be removed. The large cover is fixed and moves up with the trunk lid. Maybe that part can be detached. Even in that case your dog should not be too big though.

View attachment 1619
Yeah I Really expected this larger part to be removable... if anyone knows, please share your Knowledge 👍

· Registered
195 Posts
Yeah I Really expected this larger part to be removable... if anyone knows, please share your Knowledge 👍
In one of the YT reviews it was said “twist and remove” so I believe it’s true

· Registered
286 Posts
Yeah I think so too. Maybe you need a coin or something to unscrew it.
But someone pointed out that you don't gain to much space by removing it
The problem is the sloping roof line in the back. This is from a previous gen 4 series, but I doubt that it changed much.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Car Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Steering part

There is no ready made mechanism to remove the remaining cover, but there are some screws, so it could be possible (again this is the 2017 version).

I would try asking on a forum for existing 4 series (ICE) owners, maybe someone there has experience / a solution.

· Registered
195 Posts
Photograph Grey Material property Gadget Audio equipment

Grey Vehicle Tints and shades Bumper Automotive design

I’d sayit shows it is removable WITHOUT any tools

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.