BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the BMW Nav not have visual turn by turn directions on the big nav screen?? I can see them in the HUD but don't see a setting to turn them on the main screen. Every nav I've ever used always showed you what your upcoming next manouver was going to be. I've heard it audibly but there's no split screen or box or anything that shows it????

· Administrator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
7,766 Posts
You can change the display by using the menu button on the right of the steering wheel.

• Helpful
Reactions: Klaus-rf

· Registered
2023 BMW I4 40 M Sport Tanzanite Blue
64 Posts
Does the BMW Nav not have visual turn by turn directions on the big nav screen?? I can see them in the HUD but don't see a setting to turn them on the main screen. Every nav I've ever used always showed you what your upcoming next manouver was going to be. I've heard it audibly but there's no split screen or box or anything that shows it????
Not on a big screen but you can see it in front of you if you select the navigation view. I also couldn't believe that the main screen didn't have a cut out for the turn display

· Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can change the display by using the menu button on the right of the steering wheel.
That doesn't change the large main nav screen. I'm shocked bmw removed turn by turn and next upcoming street and direction from the large map. People who don't get hud have no way to see that unless they use car play or Android auto

• Wow
Reactions: dudenjen

· Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not on a big screen but you can see it in front of you if you select the navigation view. I also couldn't believe that the main screen didn't have a cut out for the turn display
The small screen in front only has those weird cards, no names and you have to change it to that and not have something there you might prefer.

· Registered
541 Posts
That doesn't change the large main nav screen. I'm shocked bmw removed turn by turn and next upcoming street and direction from the large map. People who don't get hud have no way to see that unless they use car play or Android auto
I don’t have hud and this is definitely annoying. Turn directions show up as small arrow when you’re far away on cluster display and it switches to lane view, but main display never show this stuff. Pretty weird design choices since screen has so much real estate.

· Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don’t have hud and this is definitely annoying. Turn directions show up as small arrow when you’re far away on cluster display and it switches to lane view, but main display never show this stuff. Pretty weird design choices since screen has so much real estate.
Exactly, bmw had split screen back when the screen was half the size. I ended up with hud by accident but I'm so glad I did.

Reactions: dudenjen and lazLA

· Administrator
7,766 Posts
I'm confused... I'll go check in my car, but the manual has this:
Central display range

General information

The following settings can be selected:

▷ Reduced display.
▷ Trip data, refer to page 153.
▷ Assisted View, refer to page 154.
▷ With navigation system: route preview.
▷ With navigation system: map view.
▷ G-meter, refer to page 155.
▷ Entertainment.

Some contents for the central display range can also be configured as a view in the Headup display.

Additional information:

Head-Up Display, refer to page 140.

· Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it says some markets and equipment. apparently the ix has a turn by turn window when the augmented display is active.

Reactions: niam

· Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40 MSport TBII
2,788 Posts
If you want turn-by-turn instructions on the central screen, then no. you can't have it there.
It's not a Tesla, so they put that particularly useful information on the screen in front of you, the instrument cluster screen.

There's even more than one way to display map / instructions on the driver's screen, and if you have HUD, you have even more possible combinations that you can choose by having navigation info in all three places.

· Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There should be an option so you're not forced to limit the instrument cluster to that. Why have that huge map and not dedicate 3 inches to an upcoming turn box?

· Registered
2,788 Posts
You can have the turns on the HUD, the signs on the driver's screen and the map on the center screen.

I had a TM3, too, but I do not miss the turn-by-turn being to my right. You'll also get used to it and wonder why you ever wanted it anywhere else but in front of you, soon enough.

· Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But if you like the big speedometer in the middle then you don't get it there.

· Registered
111 Posts
Why would you want a speedometer in the middle of the instrument cluster? Isn't two on the left of the cluster enough? I don't understand why the bar shows the speed plus a digital display center left by the bar. Not to mention another in the hud (but I know some won't have the hud).

· Registered
567 Posts
I don't have the HUD in my current 330e and didn't want it in the coming i4. The main reason is that I like the way BMW solved the nav directions, displaying everything necessary in front of me, including a simplified map. Basically, I never use the big display for navigation, only for overview, live traffic and details, and of course, for entering nav points.

· Registered
2,788 Posts
There should be an option so you're not forced to limit the instrument Because you have an 11" cluster to that. Why have that huge map and not dedicate 3 inches to an upcoming turn box?
Because you have an 11" screen right in front of you. You are not limited to displaying information in a single place. You are saying that the cost-cutting measures that led to a single screen in the Tesla are now what you prefer.

Silly rabbit. You have better than that now.

• Haha
Reactions: generic.user

· Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
2,028 Posts
This is my wife’s biggest and only annoyance with the i4 as a passenger. It’s probably mine too. Past cars I’ve owned with Nav not only will show this turn info on a center screen, but most will give you the next 3 or so upcoming turns. I find this a poor design choice by BMW and I do have the HUD, but still…

Hopefully they’ll provide this ability in a future software update.

· Registered
1,033 Posts
This is my wife’s biggest and only annoyance with the i4 as a passenger. It’s probably mine too. Past cars I’ve owned with Nav not only will show this turn info on a center screen, but most will give you the next 3 or so upcoming turns. I find this a poor design choice by BMW and I do have the HUD, but still…

Hopefully they’ll provide this ability in a future software update.
Simple solution for me, never use BMW’s nav system, only use Google Maps. No nav in HUD (with CarPlay at least) but turn by turn are on the center screen right where I’m used to them. That’s been my solution for over 5 years since I found BMW’s nav terrible when driving in traffic or trying to figure out alternate routes.

· Administrator
7,766 Posts
Simple solution for me, never use BMW’s nav system, only use Google Maps. No nav in HUD (with CarPlay at least) but turn by turn are on the center screen right where I’m used to them. That’s been my solution for over 5 years since I found BMW’s nav terrible when driving in traffic or trying to figure out alternate routes.
I still don't understand why Google doesn't code the HUD into their Maps. Works with Apple Maps... and with Google Maps on Android...

· Registered
125 Posts
I still don't understand why Google doesn't code the HUD into their Maps. Works with Apple Maps... and with Google Maps on Android...
I wonder if that's an iOS limitation. Apple might not allow third-party navigation apps access to whatever mechanism feeds data to the HUD.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts