BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

· Registered
1,033 Posts
I wonder if that's an iOS limitation. Apple might not allow third-party navigation apps access to whatever mechanism feeds data to the HUD.
BMW said they will be bringing more maps software into the HUD shortly, so with time it may come.

Reactions: dudenjen and ssh

· Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Because you have an 11" screen right in front of you. You are not limited to displaying information in a single place. You are saying that the cost-cutting measures that led to a single screen in the Tesla are now what you prefer.

Silly rabbit. You have better than that now.
That's not what I said. First of all this isn't about Tesla, every Nav I've ever had did this and Android Auto and Carplay do it. The center screen info is not detailed turn by turn, it's those overlayed cards with arrows on them. It doesn't, for example, list the street names or give the same amount of detail about lanes the way the HUD does and it doesn't help the passenger at all if they are assisting with navigating.

Reactions: ssh

· Registered
2023 BMW i4 M50
374 Posts
That's not what I said. First of all this isn't about Tesla, every Nav I've ever had did this and Android Auto and Carplay do it. The center screen info is not detailed turn by turn, it's those overlayed cards with arrows on them. It doesn't, for example, list the street names or give the same amount of detail about lanes the way the HUD does and it doesn't help the passenger at all if they are assisting with navigating.
Totally agree with you. This is our 3rd BMW. Prior 2 both had listing of next 3 upcoming which is helpful. My 2022 X5 on iDrive7 has it. I was very surprised when this didn't. I'm sure they can update software to have option for it in the future.

· Registered
197 Posts
This is my wife’s biggest and only annoyance with the i4 as a passenger. It’s probably mine too. Past cars I’ve owned with Nav not only will show this turn info on a center screen, but most will give you the next 3 or so upcoming turns. I find this a poor design choice by BMW and I do have the HUD, but still…

Hopefully they’ll provide this ability in a future software update.
There's a tile with upcoming turns that you can make active in the main screen. Is this what you are looking for? I don't use it, but I have seen it when configuring the display.

· Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
There's a tile with upcoming turns that you can make active in the main screen. Is this what you are looking for? I don't use it, but I have seen it when configuring the display.
I was referring to having it in the expanded Nav screen but having a tile could be interesting. How do you do that?

· Administrator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
7,766 Posts
I wonder if that's an iOS limitation. Apple might not allow third-party navigation apps access to whatever mechanism feeds data to the HUD.
Could be, but I don't think so. The displays are just displays to CarPlay, so the apps can access them. If I get the chance, I'll take a look at the dev documentation.

· Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
2,028 Posts
I do have that card, but it’s not nearly as useful, intuitive or informative as the actual next 3 turns with street names.

· Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40 MSport TBII
2,788 Posts
This is my wife’s biggest and only annoyance with the i4 as a passenger. It’s probably mine too. Past cars I’ve owned with Nav not only will show this turn info on a center screen, but most will give you the next 3 or so upcoming turns. I find this a poor design choice by BMW and I do have the HUD, but still…

Hopefully they’ll provide this ability in a future software update.
You get the next 3 turns in the instrument cluster screen if you want them… my passenger doesn’t need to know that nearly as much as I do? 🤗🤗

• Haha
Reactions: dudenjen

· Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
you get generic turn cards in the instrument cluster, you don't get any details, street names, etc on those 3 cards. When you're on the freeway, for example, other navs will let you know that you're going to be changing to a different freeway connector Miles and miles in advance so you know what side to be on. BMW only does that in the HUD, otherwise you don't get the voice until you're a half mile away. There's simply no excuse not to have this in the expanded nav screen. I really feel sorry for people without HUD since at least I see all of the details there.

· Administrator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
7,766 Posts
you get generic turn cards in the instrument cluster, you don't get any details, street names, etc on those 3 cards. When you're on the freeway, for example, other navs will let you know that you're going to be changing to a different freeway connector Miles and miles in advance so you know what side to be on. BMW only does that in the HUD, otherwise you don't get the voice until you're a half mile away. There's simply no excuse not to have this in the expanded nav screen. I really feel sorry for people without HUD since at least I see all of the details there.
I don't get this... there's lot of content on the three screens... and different views on the instrument cluster..

Yes, there could me more info, but there is a lot there.

Attachments

· Registered
‘23 BMW i4 M50
144 Posts
You can have the Nav and turn by turn on same screen through the widgets. I have those two and traffic together

• Helpful
Reactions: ssh and dudenjen

· Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40 MSport TBII
2,788 Posts
Huh?

I get street names on my instrument cluster all the time. I get lane recommendations whenever I'm on a freeway.
I think you either need to check your settings, or something's wrong with the map data in your area.

I don't have the HUD, but I can't imagine they'd remove content when you do.

· Registered
123 Posts
I don't have the HUD, I had to get used to looking at the instrument cluster rather than the center screen. Now I am used to it and I really like it. Small map overlaid with the next turn(s), several kilometers in advance I get the upcoming turn, street name or highway exit with number and name so that's all I need. When I drive on a familiar route I have navigation active without voice for traffic info. I then have the center screen at the home page with the map and traffic info widget. So I get info all I need.

· Registered
567 Posts
Please help me here. I include a picture (sorry for the poor stability) of my center screen nav display from my 330e with iDrive7.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior Measuring instrument

So you mean that this sort of information is no longer shown in the i4? What is shown here is my estimated arrival time (16:14) and distance (7.1 km) to my destination, the zoom level with a distance measuring marker (500 m) and also the distance flag to my next turn (600 m) and the road works on road 11, plus some points of interests if I need them. Do you mean that the distance to turn flag is not shown in the i4, or no navigation info is shown at all? In both cases, if any of that is gone, then I agree with BW13, it's a horrible decision to remove them. I don't understand how BMW designers are thinking.

The instrument cluster ssh is showing is just pure horrible because it is cluttered and also covering other instruments, but maybe that's because he has the HUD also. Anyway, I certainly don't like it and far more prefer the iDrive7 solution which has a much cleaner instrument cluster also, and hope that BMW will clean this mess up in the next update, before I get my car.

· Registered
2022 Alpine White i4 edrive40 Sport
194 Posts
Huh?

I get street names on my instrument cluster all the time. I get lane recommendations whenever I'm on a freeway.
I think you either need to check your settings, or something's wrong with the map data in your area.

I don't have the HUD, but I can't imagine they'd remove content when you do.
Yeah I agree. In the map display in the instrument cluster, I get all that info: a huge map (especially in EcoPro mode) that points in the same direction as the car, plus very detailed lane-choice displays when on the highway (it's a setting, maybe it's not active by default) and the next turn + distance + next street name. Okay, it doesn't show three turns ahead, but neither does Google Maps nav I believe. Google Maps does show the next turn in a big green box in the center display, I admit.

But for me all the info that's being requested "turn-by-turn directions" is well displayed in the instrument cluster in the map view. When I want a global overview of the route, I also display the map on the central display in north-facing-up mode and that gives some complementary and useful info.

Nevertheless, I agree that it wouldn't have cost them much to leave the next turn as a box on the central display. It's weird that they removed it, since presumably not everyone wants to use the instrument cluster map display (when you want to display the media being played, or the g-meter etc).

· Registered
2022 Alpine White i4 edrive40 Sport
194 Posts
Please help me here. I include a picture (sorry for the poor stability) of my center screen nav display from my 330e with iDrive7.

View attachment 22608

So you mean that this sort of information is no longer shown in the i4? What is shown here is my estimated arrival time (16:14) and distance (7.1 km) to my destination, the zoom level with a distance measuring marker (500 m) and also the distance flag to my next turn (600 m) and the road works on road 11, plus some points of interests if I need them. Do you mean that the distance to turn flag is not shown in the i4, or no navigation info is shown at all? In both cases, if any of that is gone, then I agree with BW13, it's a horrible decision to remove them. I don't understand how BMW designers are thinking.

The instrument cluster ssh is showing is just pure horrible because it is cluttered and also covering other instruments, but maybe that's because he has the HUD also. Anyway, I certainly don't like it and far more prefer the iDrive7 solution which has a much cleaner instrument cluster also, and hope that BMW will clean this mess up in the next update, before I get my car.
Everything you show here, except next turn and distance to next turn, is shown on the main map screen of OS8 just like on OS7, except distance to next turn.

Next turn and distance to next turn is shown on the map of the cluster display behind the steering wheel (HUD too probably? I don't have the HUD).

· Registered
567 Posts
Everything you show here, except next turn and distance to next turn, is shown on the main map screen of OS8 just like on OS7, except distance to next turn.

Next turn and distance to next turn is shown on the map of the cluster display behind the steering wheel (HUD too probably? I don't have the HUD).
Thank you. Then I agree with the OP, I can't for my life understand why BMW left that out. As I said, I don't like the pictures ssh showed, the instrument cluster is cluttered. It's a very poor HMI design in my opinion, a serious step back from the iDrive7.

· Registered
33 Posts
Totally agree. In the city I need to know the upcoming street name also. So, I don’t use BMW maps at all now but I am glad that Apple Maps works so well in the car and also displays on the heads up. Apple Maps had a very rough start years ago, but I honestly think it’s the best now. I love that it will verbally tell you things like “go past these lights then at the next set turn left”, instead of “turn left now”. It’s become the passenger navigator I have been longing for, and it doesn’t take naps ;)

21 - 40 of 60 Posts