BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if it's possible to turn off the A/C, but keep the fans running?

Got a couple of long trips coming up where I'd like to charge as little as possible and from ICE ownership, I'm all too aware of how much energy an A/C compressor saps. If it were left to me, I'd just switch the climate control off, but my wife gets pretty travel sick if I do that, so we need to keep the fans running, but preferably without donating any battery power to either the compressor or heater circuits.

Is it do-able? Or are we too automated for that these days? So far, I've not found a menu entry to do it.

· Registered
2022 e40 Sport
441 Posts
Even if you do not want A/C, in hot weather the batteries and motor does, so the compressor will be running anyway. My understanding is turning off Cabin A/C will make a minimal impact on range. Heating makes more range impact than cooling. I plan on using the HVAC system just like I would in an ICE vehicle.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even if you do not want A/C, in hot weather the batteries and motor does, so the compressor will be running anyway. My understanding is turning off Cabin A/C will make a minimal impact on range. Heating makes more range impact than cooling. I plan on using the HVAC system just like I would in an ICE vehicle.
Define 'hot weather'? I live in Scotland... 'hot weather' for us is anything above 16 degrees centigrade :sneaky:

· Registered
2022 e40 Sport
441 Posts
Define 'hot weather'? I live in Scotland... 'hot weather' for us is anything above 16 degrees centigrade :sneaky:
To the motor and batteries, 16C is likely hot enough to require cooling. I usually run the A/C anything over 19C. If you match the cabin temp setpoint to outside temp (or a few degrees above), it probably will not heat or cool the cabin and the fans should stay on.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To the motor and batteries, 16C is likely hot enough to require cooling. I usually run the A/C anything over 19C. If you match the cabin temp setpoint to outside temp (or a few degrees above), it probably will not heat or cool the cabin and the fans should stay on.
That's pretty much what I'm currently doing - but it would be nice too be able to just switch off cabin A/C and leave the temp effectively set to a minimum setting rather than constantly tweaking based on outside temps. My last two ICE cars have had an 'A/C off' function and iDrive7 seems to have it, so it seemed an odd omission.

· Registered
27 Posts
I agree, being able to turn the a/c off with the fan on is important. Not allowing it is a big fail on the part of BMW. The genius told me that it might be part of a software update, but I’m not holding my breath.

· Registered
i4 eDrive40 M-Sport - Aventurin Red - 859M
169 Posts
The same goes for turning the climate control of completely but keeping the heated seats, which is - as I read - also not possible. That's how I've used my GTE every day during early spring. No Climate control at all, no fans either, but when it's cold I turn on the heated seats. I hope they will change this as well.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I you create Eco Pro Individual, you can select not to use AC. No clue if it will increase range.
I have the option to turn off climate control, but that also appears to turn off all the fans? My aim is to have airflow without active cooling (or heating, for that matter). Just fresh air blown through the cabin.

· Registered
BMW i4 M50 05/22 Tanzanite Blue Ii Vernasca Moka
85 Posts
I have the option to turn off climate control, but that also appears to turn off all the fans? My aim is to have airflow without active cooling (or heating, for that matter). Just fresh air blown through the cabin.
Just tested. With eco pro individual fans keep working, only ac off.

· Registered
‘22 i4 eDrive40 🍉
631 Posts
Just tested. With eco pro individual fans keep working, only ac off.
If you’re referring to the eco pro climate selection, it reduces A/C, doesn’t disable it entirely.

The car itself uses the A/C for its own purposes, and the chances are good that if it thinks it should be using the A/C for the cabin temp you’ve selected, it’s already using it for the battery.

· Registered
28 Posts
I think the AC/mild heating is using negligible energy. In 1200 miles, I have 3.9 ml/kwh since factory with the AC always at auto 18c, external temp between 12 and 23. Today I disabled the aircon completely and did my usual commute, no appreciable difference in consumption.
In all honesty though, I don't care much. I put in auto with a temperature that I feel comfortable and I let the computer take care of things with heat pumps, AC and stuff, I feel the car can create a comfy environment with no energy penalty. In winter, I presume the way to go would be a reasonable temp in the cabin topped up by heating the seats.

· Registered
i4 M50 03/2022
214 Posts
in my current EV on warm days (25C+) the AC reduces range about 3-4%, plus I keep the air running as it L3 fast charges. As other users have stated the electric heat is a heavy load so pre-heating and wearing warm clothes will be helpful to maximize range.

Reactions: kindofblue

· Registered
'23 i4 40 & '22 Mach e Premium
328 Posts
in my current EV on warm days (25C+) the AC reduces range about 3-4%, plus I keep the air running as it L3 fast charges. As other users have stated the electric heat is a heavy load so pre-heating and wearing warm clothes will be helpful to maximize range.
Heated seats and steering wheel go a long way to keeping you warm and comfy when it's cool/cold outside.

· Administrator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
7,766 Posts
Which begs the question … why the heck are heated rear seats not available on the US i4? The regular 430i can have them! Ugh.

Working with my service manager on a retrofit kit….
Because no one uses the back seats? ;)

I bet it’s a chip issue, again…

· Registered
‘22 i4 eDrive40 🍉
631 Posts
Because no one uses the back seats? ;)

I bet it’s a chip issue, again…
It isn’t. The regular 4 GC has these available and being built without restriction. Replacement parts are even available.

I hear you on rear seat use, but since this is the only BEV anything like a 3/4 series right now, some unusual buyers have appeared. ;)

1 - 20 of 85 Posts