BMW i4 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

· Registered
BMW i4 eDrive40 - 08/2022 - Tanzanite Blue - Sensatec Cognac
274 Posts
There seems to be a minor version which fixes the bug that the switch is non-functional. On my version it doesn't work. But it's ok to know that they've fixed it. I can live with the bug for now.

· Registered
BMW i4 eDrive40 - 08/2022 - Tanzanite Blue - Sensatec Cognac
274 Posts
I still doubt that. Then they should disable that button in such a case. I guess we'll know soon enough.

· Administrator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
7,766 Posts
Hi, my soft was updated to 2022/07 at dealership, so I have an AC button now. I can confirm that it does turn off air conditioning and leaves fans on.
Which of the 2022/07 versions did you get? I've seen at least 3 mentioned on i4talk.

Reactions: Sparky

· Registered
1 Posts
On the i4, the A/C works great, but still have not found a way to just have a fan without climate control. Turning it on DEFINITELY zaps electricity, too. Watch the range estimate drop by 20 miles (USA, California here) simply by switching it on! Oddly, you get the range right back by turning it off again. This is my first BMW and find this setup very strange; every other car I have ever owned or been in has had a 'fan only' function, which is used in many situations. Will this be a feature that is added at some point?

· Registered
16 Posts
I emailed BMW and received this reply on September 9th:

"This issue that you have describe has been identified and resolved by our BMW engineers. A software update has been released to allow the fresh air ventilation while the AC is turned off for your BMW. I appreciate your feedback on this matter. Please initiate the most recent Remote Software Upgrade for your BMW. Standby must be turned on to search for a Remote Software Upgrade. The vehicle regularly searches for updates in the background."

However, I tried the remote update several times, each time getting "no update available". Mine is 7/2022.33

· Registered
8 Posts
solution incoming with update 07/2022:
Can I ask if anyone else is able to use the A/C toggle on their i4? My climate screen shows that toggle button but I can't turn it off (it is green no matter what). BMW genius tell me that I should be able to turn it off but that turning it off completely turns off the climate system - fans and all. They say it has the same function as the "All Climate" toggle button on the upper left. BMW Genius says that not being able to turn off the a/c to leave only the fans on was an issue already fixed in the ix and that they will eventually fix it in the i4 although it will require a trip to the dealer to reprogram

Can anyone verify that the A/C toggle works in their own vehicle?

· Registered
5 Posts
Does anyones i4 allow you to turn off the air conditioning and still have fresh air? In mine, you either get A/C or no air at all. It is very uncomfortable and made all the worse by the cumbersome interface to adjust temperature. I am being told that this is how they are designed although the sales rep said he could turn it off in another vehicle. Why would they have a button to turn on/ off the A/C if they designed the car to never turn off the A/C?

· Registered
17 Posts
Does anyones i4 allow you to turn off the air conditioning and still have fresh air? In mine, you either get A/C or no air at all. It is very uncomfortable and made all the worse by the cumbersome interface to adjust temperature. I am being told that this is how they are designed although the sales rep said he could turn it off in another vehicle. Why would they have a button to turn on/ off the A/C if they designed the car to never turn off the A/C?
I think you need to update software

· Registered
2022 e40 Sport
441 Posts
With the latest software update, you should be able to turn off the A/C but leave the outside air and fan on. Remember the heat pump is running most the time anyway for the batteries and motor and unless you have the windows open, you will not be saving any significant energy by turning it off which only impacts the passenger compartment.

· Registered
5 Posts
Can you actually push the button or is it on green only? Mine can't be toggled. I called BMW Genius and they said that it should toggle and that mine is malfunctioning.
Same hear. It sounds like it’s working but does not turn off. My dealer service department had the car 3 days before coming back with “that’s how it’s designed.” I find that hard to believe- why would they have put the toggle button there if it was designed not to work? I have to constantly adjust the heat to keep the cab bearable.

· Registered
5 Posts
With the latest software update, you should be able to turn off the A/C but leave the outside air and fan on. Remember the heat pump is running most the time anyway for the batteries and motor and unless you have the windows open, you will not be saving any significant energy by turning it off which only impacts the passenger compartment.
Where did you get a software update? I’m being told there isn’t one. Perhaps I can put my dealer in touch with where you got an update?

· Registered
2022 e40 Sport
441 Posts
Where did you get a software update? I’m being told there isn’t one. Perhaps I can put my dealer in touch with where you got an update?
I got the update at the dealer as part of the valet mode recall issue. BMW is not yet doing OTA updates to my knowledge.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts