BMW i4 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

· Registered
BMW i4 eDrive40 - 08/2022 - Tanzanite Blue - Sensatec Cognac
274 Posts
I got the update at the dealer as part of the valet mode recall issue. BMW is not yet doing OTA updates to my knowledge.
Afaik they do. Just a couple of months later than its available at dealers.

· Registered
8 Posts
Can I ask if anyone else is able to use the A/C toggle on their i4? My climate screen shows that toggle button but I can't turn it off (it is green no matter what). BMW genius tell me that I should be able to turn it off but that turning it off completely turns off the climate system - fans and all. They say it has the same function as the "All Climate" toggle button on the upper left. BMW Genius says that not being able to turn off the a/c to leave only the fans on was an issue already fixed in the ix and that they will eventually fix it in the i4 although it will require a trip to the dealer to reprogram

Can anyone verify that the A/C toggle works in their own vehicle?

· Administrator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
7,766 Posts
It took 5 days at the service department and refusing to accept “it’s designed that way” but they finally fixed. They updated the software to 09/2022.54. Now the A/C turns off.
That's the first time I've seen this release build...

· Registered
i4m50, 18inch 245/255 summer 18 inch 245/245 winter, order aug 21 - Delivery next week?
1,463 Posts
It took 5 days at the service department and refusing to accept “it’s designed that way” but they finally fixed. They updated the software to 09/2022.54. Now the A/C turns off.
Tesla Bjørns new 1000 km challenge editited (to 25 minutes) was published today - goes thru some of the updated iDrive.

· Registered
i4 eDrive 40 M Sport - Mineral White
160 Posts
How did you get the update through the dealer?
It was done as part of the recall program. Took it in to the service centre in the morning and then picked it up in the afternoon.

Mine actually says A/C Off in the temperature reading when the A/C is off. As an added bonus the G meter is nice addition too!

· Registered
85 Posts
Sorry, probably not exactly in the right post, but I have the following findings:

I got the latest update at the dealer today (version 07/2022/54) after they did the valet parking update, but now my e40 seem to have lost a lot of range in relation to the previous a software version. Normally I got about 530 km at 100% battery but now Is seems that I do not get more than 380 km at 100%. Driving mixed roads and 104 km on the highway always in eco pro.

Does anyone the same problem after this latest update?

· Administrator
7,766 Posts
Sorry, probably not exactly in the right post, but I have the following findings:

I got the latest update at the dealer today (version 07/2022/54) after they did the valet parking update, but now my e40 seem to have lost a lot of range in relation to the previous a software version. Normally I got about 530 km at 100% battery but now Is seems that I do not get more than 380 km at 100%. Driving mixed roads and 104 km on the highway always in eco pro.

Does anyone the same problem after this latest update?
You need to give it time; the calculations have all reset.

· Registered
26 Posts
Even if you do not want A/C, in hot weather the batteries and motor does, so the compressor will be running anyway. My understanding is turning off Cabin A/C will make a minimal impact on range. Heating makes more range impact than cooling. I plan on using the HVAC system just like I would in an ICE vehicle.

Hello Guys - Your air conditioning compressor will seldom if ever operate in cooling mode during normal driving to remove heat from the battery, therefore it is not a concern regarding range.

As most know, the same AC compressor used to cool the cabin can also be used to cool (or heat / heat pump) to condition the battery for; aggressive driving, additional range or for fast charging. The cabin AC system does not cool the battery, they both use separate cooling circuits. Using a processor controlled manifold, it can divert to either the cabin or battery or cool both circuits. Unlike the cabin AC system which has an evaporator and uses a fan to cool the cabin, the battery cooling circuit instead chills coolant which is then circulated using a heat exchanger in the battery case to remove heat. This heat is then released outside the car from the AC condenser. Some EV's use two separate AC compressors

The AC battery cooling system operates (without user control) in cases where the lithium pack is either near or has reached over-temperature. A typical example of AC cooling is during fast charging where excess heat is generated in the cells, if cooling is not applied, the main processor, battery & charger processors will reduce the charge level (or even stop charging) to prevent over-heating the lithium cells.

Some EV manufactures (not all) use this same battery cooling system to cool the inverter, charger, motor(s) and single speed transmission (Or 2 speed transmission on BMW I8).

I included an image below of my Chevy Volt's cooling (heating) system which is typical of most systems today and engineered way back prior to the 2014 release of the Volt. The Volts system like many EV's also uses an "element heater" should temperatures be to low for AC heat pump use.

Regards - Mike
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Diagram

· Administrator
7,766 Posts
Hello Guys - Your air conditioning compressor will seldom if ever operate in cooling mode during normal driving to remove heat from the battery, therefore it is not a concern regarding range.

As most know, the same AC compressor used to cool the cabin can also be used to cool (or heat / heat pump) to condition the battery for; aggressive driving, additional range or for fast charging. The cabin AC system does not cool the battery, they both use separate cooling circuits. Using a processor controlled manifold, it can divert to either the cabin or battery or cool both circuits. Unlike the cabin AC system which has an evaporator and uses a fan to cool the cabin, the battery cooling circuit instead chills coolant which is then circulated using a heat exchanger in the battery case to remove heat. This heat is then released outside the car from the AC condenser. Some EV's use two separate AC compressors

The AC battery cooling system operates (without user control) in cases where the lithium pack is either near or has reached over-temperature. A typical example of AC cooling is during fast charging where excess heat is generated in the cells, if cooling is not applied, the main processor, battery & charger processors will reduce the charge level (or even stop charging) to prevent over-heating the lithium cells.

Some EV manufactures (not all) use this same battery cooling system to cool the inverter, charger, motor(s) and single speed transmission (Or 2 speed transmission on BMW I8).

I included an image below of my Chevy Volt's cooling (heating) system which is typical of most systems today and engineered way back prior to the 2014 release of the Volt. The Volts system like many EV's also uses an "element heater" should temperatures be to low for AC heat pump use.

Regards - Mike View attachment 22505
This is very interesting, but the indications have been that the i4's heat pump approach is a bit different from this, and the same heat pump is used for both battery temperature management and the cabin:
Integrated Heating and Cooling System with Heat Pump Function.

The BMW i4 is equipped with a standard integrated heating and cooling system for the cabin, together with its high-voltage battery and its drive system that operates using an exceptionally efficient heat pump function. The system comprises three cooling/heating circuits that can be interconnected by means of electric valves with a shared expansion tank. While driving at low outside temperatures, the excess heat generated by the drive units is used to warm up the high-voltage battery. The highly integrated version of the heat pump developed by BMW uses up to 75 percent less energy than the system in the current BMW i3 (MY 2020). A two-level cooling module, a refrigerant compressor, two evaporators, a water-cooled condenser and a high-performance control unit together ensure optimum temperature control for both the BMW eDrive components and the vehicle interior in any operating state and in all regular weather conditions. At extremely low ambient temperatures, the heat pump is assisted by a pair of powerful continuous-flow heaters offering 9 kW of heating power each. This ensures that thermal comfort on a par with conventionally powered BMW models can be provided very efficiently in any situation. The latest version of the heat pump makes use of ambient heat and heat from dehumidification – as well as the waste heat from the motors – for energy-efficient operation.

The integrated heating and cooling system also insures optimal temperature control for the high-voltage battery in highly dynamic driving situations with high power requirements and when rapid-charging from a DC charging station. If the navigation system’s route guidance function is active and has scheduled a stop for the BMW i4 at a fast-charging station, anticipatory thermal management will automatically pre-condition the battery beforehand. Warming up the high-voltage battery or cooling it down as appropriate means it will be at the optimum temperature for quick and efficient charging at maximum capacity upon arrival at the charging station. Thermal management takes several factors into account here, including current battery temperature, remaining range, the predicted charging rate and the amount of electricity due to be fed to the battery according to the overall route calculation.

• Helpful
Reactions: gsbaker

· Registered
26 Posts
Hello - While the I4 is ceratinly a more advanced system than the Chevy Volt, they work on simuliar principles where the AC system has separate circuits (fan or chilled coolant) for both the cabin and battery.

The I4 climate menu is a bit confusing - While driving in cool temperatures using only heated seats, I found that even though I shut everything down in the climate menu, the car was still producing heat and had fan activity reducing range. Only after I shut the system down on the left climate menu did the system cease operating and the projected range increased by 15 miles.

Regards - Mike

· Administrator
7,766 Posts
Hello - While the I4 is ceratinly a more advanced system than the Chevy Volt, they work on simuliar principles where the AC system has separate circuits (fan or chilled coolant) for both the cabin and battery.

The climate menu is a bit confusing - While driving in cool temperatures using only heated seats, I found that even though I shut everything down in the climate menu, the car was still producing heat and fan activity reducing range. Only after I shut the system down on the left climate menu did the system cease operating and the projected range increased by 15 miles.

Regards - Mike
I think the "more advanced" part is also "more efficient" and the heat pump in particular works in conjunction with the heat generated by the motors plus ambient temperatures and so on to make this a much more complex equation than most who go about changing things understand. Even in your case, I suspect the savings was in the 9 kW heaters, not the heat pump.

· Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the reply - 18 kw using two 9 kw heaters seems over the top and needs to be confirned. Most EV's manage with a 6kw heater. Were you able to get any type of OBD reader to work on your I4. I would surely like to document the system further. Many Thanks

· Administrator
7,766 Posts
Thanks for the reply - 18 kw using two 9 kw heaters seems over the top and needs to be confirned. Most EV's manage with a 6kw heater. Were you able to get any type of OBD reader to work on your I4. I would surely like to document the system further. Many Thanks
That document I quoted above had this information, and is directly from BMW. Two 9 kW heaters for use when it gets cold.

I’ve only tried Bimmercode. Sorry.

· Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the reply - while it certainly could have two giant heaters for 18kw there's a good possibility the BMW release is in error. I did put up a post regarding the OBD reader on the board in hopes that someone was successful getting one to work. Bjorn Nyland on Youtube has put up displays (below) so it must be possible.

Many thanks - Mike

Font Screenshot Technology Electronic device Electric blue
so it

61 - 80 of 85 Posts