BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a ravenously looking for more information about i4 40 versus i4 M50 lately. I'm drawn to the M version only because of dual motor/AWD. I'm not really an M person. I don't particularly need +500hp but I won't say no to it. For me, the choice is range or AWD. Could I be swayed into getting the M version on grounds of minor/moderate Eco Pro range boost? It isn't really all that much more money. But, I could just go down to base model and get much of the M sport type add-ons (albeit less power). I could even get snowtires that I'd have to store for the season if its really even necessary to get - and still most likely less money than the M version.

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You came to the right place :)
About your dilemma, well, if the range is important then get the e40. Fifty, sixty kilometers more can be achieved very easily, compared to the M50. And you can add almost every option and still pay less than getting the M50 (where a lot is already included).
But if you're looking for a bit more safety and stability, an AWD car is a must. You just need to control your right foot, because even though you said you don't need that much power, the temptation to push the accelerator pedal is big, very big...

·
Registered
Kona EV, 335i convertible, K1600b mc
434 Posts
I'm not worrying about the rwd in the snow. I have a 335i and with snow tires on, it does well with its rwd for my liking.

·
Registered
2020 Tesla Model 3 SR+
21 Posts
Yes to this topic! I ordered the e40, but then when BMW said that the new range for the M50 was 270 and the e40 only got to 301, I SERIOUSLY considered the M50 again. But in the end i stuck with the e40 for these reasons:
1. The LOW END of range per BMW is very telling. I can live with the low end being 282 on the e40 but the low end of the M50 is 227 and that’s just not compelling enough to move me off my Tesla. I’ll take the 282-301 range any day.

2. The e40 is fast enough (will be faster than most cars on the road anyway) so the additional HP was meh. My wife deosn’t even let me floor my Model 3 anyway…and

3. Vehicle complexity and BMW repair costs. I went with a base e40 (no M package) because I don’t need some suspension system that could eventually break. I also don’t need a “second motor” that could eventually break.

I’ve owned a used BMW and just changing the brakes was an astonishing price tag. So with this being my first new BMW, I want to keep my lifelong costs as low as possible. So, that was my logic. I got the e40 and added all of my lovely options (professional driving, HK speakers, heated seats and steering, wireless charging), and I’m right at $60K with the tires that will give me 301 in range (which will be my winter 18s). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
101 Posts
How is the weather in your area?

I'm in Canada but still choosing the eDrive40 for the following reasons:
  • Range is affected a lot by cold weather so I prefer to have it.
  • Power is more than enough, the M50 is stupid fast.
  • While AWD would be great the lower center of gravity of EVs and the mandatory snow tires in my area makes the RWD version a very capable car.
  • We get a provincial rebate on the eDrive40 widening the price gap with the M50.
  • Maintenance costs, the M50 has adaptive suspension and bigger brakes two items that will be considerable more expensive on the M car.

·
Registered
2020 Tesla Model 3 SR+
21 Posts
I’m in Connecticut, so probably similar to Canada but with a few less extreme cold days. Agree with every point you make. A fourth reason for me is the wheels…I wanted to have a second set for winter, but if you get the M50 that second set will likely be more expensive. Bigger brakes, heavier car. I’m very happy with the e40 choice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same debate. I prefer AWD vehicles for winter use, although RWD EV's seem to do quite well (especially with snow tires), due to the weight and traction control. However, I currently have a Tesla Model 3 LR AWD, and I enjoy the performance of it, and the e40 would be a definite downgrade there. The m50 is obviously an upgrade in the performance department over the LR AWD, but I'm choosing between this and a M3P. I like stupid fast. :)

It's still a debate though... the air suspension in the m50 is basically guaranteed to break, like basically all air suspension systems.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My boosted Model Y can do 0-60 in 4.2 seconds. It's pretty snappy. As I get used to it, I often think, "I wish it was faster." With the e40, I'll think that constantly. With the M50, I think that rarely. If there's an M60 coming, I want it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I live near the North Carolina mountains (40 minutes), so I want to spend a lot of time driving there.

I will need handling and range more than raw speed. There are winding roads and few fast chargers. I look forward to using regen on the downhill stretches.

So I ordered the e40 with the m sport options, and performance tires to get the best handling for nine months of the year.

In winter I will have winter tires for the cold and the several snowfalls each year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts