BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Reading dealer received an i4M50 yesterday and it is on display today. Test drives start Wednesday. I have mine at 10.00. Car looks fantastic in Brooklyn grey.

·
Registered
MB GLA
281 Posts
My Reading dealer received an i4M50 yesterday and it is on display today. Test drives start Wednesday. I have mine at 10.00. Car looks fantastic in Brooklyn grey.
Great for you 😊
Can you post photos and share your impressions?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had a call today from my nearest dealer (Sytner, Chigwell, Essex). They get one next week - apparently it's a 'roaming' car so they won't have it long before it moves to another dealer. Test drive for me before it moves on :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had a drive on Saturday as Dick Lovett have the M50 now.I need to test again this week as only had about 70% charge and whilst fast ,don't think it was offering the full beans.Initial negative impressions was it felt quite heavy to drive and found it claustrophic internally compared to say a Tesla 3.On the Plus side it was very smooth and comfortable and soaked up the bumps beautifully,almost limo like and it was nicely put together with no obvious creaks or rattles.The car was on the optional 20 inch wheels.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Has anyone heard of a date for an i4 test drive in the U.S.?
I have asked my dealer several times. He said BMW told him the dealer would get one or two i4 and the same number of iX for demo purposes (or he can sell them) in addition to pre-ordered cars, but not until sometime in the Spring. It's possible the regional rep might swing by with an i4 between now and then, however, there is no formal event / date. The reps have been driving both the i4 and iX, so you know there is at least some floating around...

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
366 Posts
Mike, that’s unfortunate there won’t be testers until the spring. I wonder what happens in the rare event your car comes in prior to the availability of a test drive?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mike, that’s unfortunate there won’t be testers until the spring. I wonder what happens in the rare event your car comes in prior to the availability of a test drive?
I think there will be a tester available before then...............we just don't know when and where yet. I would hope they would bring one to the dealer sometime before the first customer cars arrive so we have some idea of how it drives / performance / range, etc.

·
Registered
307 Posts
as only had about 70% charge and whilst fast ,don't think it was offering the full beans.
Hmm... My Model 3 Performance shows no noticeable drop in performance at that charge level. I will be going in to my test drive this week with very open eyes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The model 3 Performance I drove just after felt quicker for sure and more nimble.Have asked to make sure the M50 fully charged for nex t test to see if any obvious difference.I have an order for the M50 but will test both again this week to decide.Will be my first EV.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The model 3 Performance I drove just after felt quicker for sure and more nimble.Have asked to make sure the M50 fully charged for nex t test to see if any obvious difference.I have an order for the M50 but will test both again this week to decide.Will be my first EV.
Make sure it’s in Sport Boost mode aswell. You only get the full 544PS in that mode.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Make sure it’s in Sport Boost mode aswell. You only get the full 544PS in that mode.
Kase ,did have in Sport Boost but noticed this comment from another thread,so will check if true."To allow maximum power to be summoned in situations where the car's performance capabilities are being really put to the test, the Sport Boost function can be activated several times in succession if the high-voltage battery has enough charge," the automaker says. "Every time the driver accelerates, a fuel gauge-style icon in the instrument cluster shows how much extra power is available and for how long."The more powerful half of the duo will be the i4 M50, offering all-wheel drive and 536 hp and 586 lb-ft of torque with the Sport Boost function, which adds an extra 67 hp and 48 lb-ft of torque for over 10 seconds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I took one out on Saturday - not for long as I just dropped in and it was dark and wet but I loved it!! I took a Tesla performance out previously and the main difference for me is that the Tesla feels like something different - the I4 feels more like a car than an EV - very rapid - not as sharp maybe as an M petrol but really nice. I am toying between the M50 a long Range Tesla and a Polestar - TBH its probably between the Polestar and the Beemer and the cost of the latter isn’t much more than the Polestar. The dealer indicated that delivery would be more like March April as they were prioritising getting EVs on the road - that may have been spin though!

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
when I tried them I thought they felt very similar. The BMW felt heavier but better placed and more secure because of it. Be interesting to see after your next test drive. Tesla to me is very much an EV experience the M50 is more traditional car

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
366 Posts
Quicker or not, the i4 will be far better built, be far more luxurious with a much nicer interior and provide a much better ride than a M3.

·
Registered
15 Posts
when I tried them I thought they felt very similar. The BMW felt heavier but better placed and more secure because of it. Be interesting to see after your next test drive. Tesla to me is very much an EV experience the M50 is more traditional car
Have another test for the M50 booked Thursday with again the Model 3 straight after for comparison

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I drove the M50 today. I can see losing my driving license because the acceleration is phenomenol coupled with a silent ride means high speeds arrive quietly and very quickly. The i4 is very much a BMW - controls and displays very similar to my 530e but the larger screen ids very attractive and easy to use. I found the steering a little heavy but very direct providing little feedback about what the wheels are actually doing. Handling is very good and cornering very flat, but you can feel this is not a light car. Driving in B mode - high regenerative breaking was brilliant. I will certainly use it WHEN my car arrives!
Compared to Tesla 3 - performance very little difference, quality much higher in BMW, ride batter in BMW, display better in BMW, passenger space better in Tesla.
In my opinion a very good high performance 4 seater - roll on delivery!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts