BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up that there will shortly be a cancelled order (remains Status 047 at time of writing) after the issues with the finance rate and price rises on my existing order (placed Mar ‘22). I’ll provide more info on location of this once I’ve had chance to chat to the dealership concerned.

Signed for an etron GT today, a cancelled order ironically that has its build week in 4 weeks, delivery August.

All the best with the i4’s, a fantastic car but on this occasion sadly it didn’t work out for me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Congrats on the etron gt, it's a stunning car. Out of curiosity, do you know how long the overall wait was with audi. Just interest to see how other EV manufacturers are doing at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks 😊. Yeah very happy with the decision to be honest. Test drove a Vorsprung last June and was smitten. The i4 at the price point I agreed on made sense financially, but sadly the rate rise made the GT more competitive to my mind than I’d first thought. Sad that I couldn’t make the i4 work out and their salesman I’ve been dealing with is fantastic, no complaints about him, but we were both kind of left with nowhere to go when the edict came from upon high re the APRs etc

There are some early ‘23 build slots (so I guess minimum 12 month wait) I believe but they’re in the same boat as most manufacturers, extended supply chain issues. Luckily this cancelled order was pretty much to the spec I’d like (with only 4 weeks to go couldn’t change the spec).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just a heads up that there will shortly be a cancelled order (remains Status 047 at time of writing) after the issues with the finance rate and price rises on my existing order (placed Mar ‘22). I’ll provide more info on location of this once I’ve had chance to chat to the dealership concerned.

Signed for an etron GT today, a cancelled order ironically that has its build week in 4 weeks, delivery August.

All the best with the i4’s, a fantastic car but on this occasion sadly it didn’t work out for me.
All the best with the e-tron - What a crackling looking car (I've only seen one on the road and wow, it's stunning)!

Post a picture once you get it, that should then be your final farewell from the forum :p

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
All the best with the e-tron - What a crackling looking car (I've only seen one on the road and wow, it's stunning)!

Post a picture once you get it, that should then be your final farewell from the forum :p
Thanks very much. Yeah it's a tough one as the GT was jaw dropping when I drove it last June. At that point I couldn't make the numbers work on Audi's APRs, which made the i4 at the 4.9% rate very compelling. Sadly BMW for me personally have priced themselves out of the equation now. Spec wise it's interesting as there are a few tradeoffs, certain things missing on this specific GT in question (Active Cruise, Blind Spot, Air Suspension), but in place of that it comes with leather and full pano roof as standard (which bumped up my i4 spec by about £3k, along with Matrix LED (no laser lights on that spec but blooming good) etc (have linked my spec below) and the B&O hifi (which based on my experience in my S4 is awesome)... The dealer has also said I could probably get into the perfect spec car and place an order for that whilst I run the incoming GT and break even (due to GT's fetching around £8k more used than new)... I'll mull that one over but for now very happy. Will post some pics when it arrives.

Hope the situation improves and you hear soon about yours. The i4 is a fantastic car, worth waiting for, but for me it was just a loss of trust and an increase in price after agreeing a deal that caused me to walk away.

Attachments

·
Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
1,572 Posts
Thanks very much. Yeah it's a tough one as the GT was jaw dropping when I drove it last June. At that point I couldn't make the numbers work on Audi's APRs, which made the i4 at the 4.9% rate very compelling. Sadly BMW for me personally have priced themselves out of the equation now. Spec wise it's interesting as there are a few tradeoffs, certain things missing on this specific GT in question (Active Cruise, Blind Spot, Air Suspension), but in place of that it comes with leather and full pano roof as standard (which bumped up my i4 spec by about £3k, along with Matrix LED (no laser lights on that spec but blooming good) etc (have linked my spec below) and the B&O hifi (which based on my experience in my S4 is awesome)... The dealer has also said I could probably get into the perfect spec car and place an order for that whilst I run the incoming GT and break even (due to GT's fetching around £8k more used than new)... I'll mull that one over but for now very happy. Will post some pics when it arrives.

Hope the situation improves and you hear soon about yours. The i4 is a fantastic car, worth waiting for, but for me it was just a loss of trust and an increase in price after agreeing a deal that caused me to walk away.
Good luck with the GT, it is a gorgeous car. I’m a bit confused though, isn’t the GT a lot pricier than the i4?

·
Registered
98 Posts

Love it - what a beauty! That's going to be amasing to drive and the spec is awesome too. Enjoy :_

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I’m guessing the monthly payments are still higher with the GT, but how much higher? I didn’t see that in his posts.
It's a fair question, so I'll try to break it down (apologies, there's a lot of detail).

Plan A (discounted i4, with no fixed price part-ex for my current car and no time-frame for delivery):

Originally, I signed for an i4 e drive 40 M Sport, with the Comfort Plus Pack, Tech Plus Pack, Portimao and not much more, @ 4.9%, £8500 in from me (to include the equity in my current car which the dealer and I estimated to be pretty much 100% of it as part-ex). With a negotiated discount, that worked out at £750/month, which worked out somewhere around £50/month cheaper than running my current S4, having taken the personal loan, VED, warranty, car tracker and 'Audi Connect' (mapping and online services) into account.

Then BMW told me the APR was going up to 6.9%. If I'd stayed with that dealer, with negotiated discount, they could at best do my existing order for £816/month (£66/month more that I signed at 2 weeks previously). Concurrently I'd put together the ideal spec using the BMW online configurator and finance calculator, (adding Tanzanite and Laserlights), working out at £798/month @ 4.9% and around £862/month @ 6.9% (again with negotiated discount and not including the recent price rise and potential subsequent price rises prior to delivery). With that dealer, they wouldn't provide a part ex value for my car (due to the long wait in build times which was fair enough).

Plan B (i4 inbound to dealership in Sept '22, no discount, initial quote now based on 6.9% finance, fixed (reduced) price for my part ex):

I then contacted another BMW dealership from a different franchise, who quoted (for the same initial car I'd ordered but now at 6.9% but with no discount as they weren't going to budge on price), £873/month. In addition, they wouldn't be able to get a car to me before Sept '22, and advised that in their opinion my current car would lose at least £3k of it's equity by the time their i4 was ready. To get the payments from this dealership to match the revised payments from the existing dealership at 6.9%, I'd have had to put in a further (approx) £6000 of deposit to cover the reduced equity in mine (monthly payments change by approx £25/month for every change of £1000 change in either overall deposit or added/subtracted spec), along with the lack of discount from this new dealer. So 'new' monthly payment for an i4 with now effectively a £14500 deposit (including equity) was £873/month (£123/month more than the car I'd originally signed for)

Plan C (etron GT, 6.6% APR, order inbound August '22, fixed price for my part-ex):

I'd contacted an Audi dealer who'd advertised a discounted rate for etron GT's with a Mar '23 build slot, and to my surprise they advised they had a cancelled order inbound, in 'almost' the exact spec that I'd originally wanted last year when I first test drove their demonstrator. When I looked at the value of my part-ex, they advised they'd lock in the value as it stood today (not the alleged £3k equity reduction between now and September quoted by the second BMW garage, nor the unknown value from the original BMW dealer). The GT residual value after 4 years is approx £20k more than my i4 spec over the same period, so whilst the MSRP's look fairly different (about £20k), the jump (and with the caveat of one is committed to the overall finance, not just the deposit and 4 years) in monthly payments isn't as much as you'd think for the portion financed over the 4 years, for me we agreed on £851/month.

Long story short, if BMW had honoured the original 4.9% rate, that made the i4 very competitive over 4 years. At the revised APR but still with discount, I was looking at being £34/month cheaper (prior to the most recent price rise on the i4) than an etron GT if they upheld the value I wanted for my part-ex (unlikely given the waiting time for the order being stuck at Status 047). If I'd revised my i4 spec to the exact one I wanted I'd be looking at it being a minimum of £12/month (again that’s before the i4’s most recent price rise) more than the etron GT if they honoured a discount (and around £60/month more if they didn't).

Had I have gone to the alternative BMW dealership, I'd have been looking at £22/month more than the GT for my existing i4 spec and probably about £60/month more than the GT for my ideal spec'd i4.

One could argue there's a jump in deposit going from the i4 to the GT to get those numbers, a fair argument until you factor in the guaranteed extra £3k Audi were offering for mine + residuals + marginal difference in APR.

Summing it up (and apologies for the detail) but my initial deal with BMW was price sensitive, hence me confirming with them before signing whether I was price protected at 4.9% and discount (as otherwise the cost to change from my S4 made no sense, factoring in all costs including fuel etc). The fact that (and one can argue if it's fair or not), the subsequent increase in BMW UK APR rates and price increases just narrowed the gap on the finance between the i4 and the GT. Factor in the stronger part-ex value from Audi and it roughly breaks even on a revised price and rate i4, which for me kind of made it a no-brainer (purely personal opinion as the i4 is still a fantastic car :) ).

Hope that helps explain (sorry it's wordy, a lot of variables went into making the decision)

·
i4 M50 18" 858 M San Remo Green
1,644 Posts
ouch... painful monthly payments.... but then again, being RICcHester, that shouldn't be a problem...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ouch... painful monthly payments.... but then again, being RiCcHester, that shouldn't be a problem...
Could've been more painful on the existing i4 order ;). Sadly it's only Rich by name, not necessarily by association financially, but total outgoings on the car remain within about £80/month of my existing car, which over 4 years since getting the S4 I'll settle for ;).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As promised, having had chance to update the dealership today, the details of my cancelled order are as follows:

i4 e drive 40 M-Sport
Portimao Blue
Comfort Plus Package
Technology Plus Package
19" Bicolour Jet Black Y-spoke style 859 M light alloy wheels
Alcantara/Sensatec - Black with contrast stitching in blue

The salesman is fantastic, did his absolute best but sadly his hands were tied with BMW policy. For info, contact Richard Green at Lookers Crewe BMW, genuinely good guy who'll do his level best for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts