BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey M Sports Seats Comfort Pack Park Assistant Plus Extended Shadow Line
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on my 1st long trip on Tuesday from Sheffield to Tilbury on the east side of London.

The car was fully charged , set in Eco Pro and B mode with a/c turned off.

The route was A57, A1,A14, M11, M25, A13 - so mostly major A roads

Temperature was between about 15 - 20 Deg C for the full journey and minimal traffic delays.

I deliberately did this has an economy run and the general speed on the major roads was about 65 mph.

The plan was to charge at the Inoity station at Peterborough services in both directions using the BMW charge card for discounted rates

The 1st part of the journey was 84 miles and needed 22.1kWh to charge to 99%. 3.8m/kWh.

At 99% the car range was then showing 303m

The next part of the journey to Tilbury was 97 miles which used 24.2 kWh - 4.0m/kWh.

The return journey home was via Charlton ( I visit all the posh places) and it looked like I could get home without charging again. At Peterborough i had 15 miles predicted range when i got to Sheffield and I didn’t fancy the range anxiety all the way home so i stopped for a quick charge ( and I mean quick - 3 minutes and 7kWh) to get me home with 30 mile plus range. So yes I did bottle it!!!

111 miles for 27.5 kWh - 4.03 m/kWh.

When charging the predicted 100% range was showing at about 330 miles which is above the BMW published figures. - was surprised :love::love:

The last part of the journey hasn’t uploaded onto the app yet but the trip computer was registering 4.1m/kWh and all other trip figures were accurate. So 4.0m/kWh average for the full trip.

I arrive home with a range of 36 miles.

So the conclusion of my circa 400 mile round trip are as follows:

1. If you drive the car like an old fart out with wife Elsie in their Fiat 500 on a Sunday afternoon outing into the countryside you can beat the published range figures.

2. The range was helped by good weather and temperature which meant the climate control was not doing much work

3. The trip computer seems accuracy against real life.

4. The Ionity chargers are easy to use with the BMW app but I am still waiting for the costs and details to be updated on the app so i am unsure of the total cost and unit rate.

5. The comments posted regarding the M sport seats being uncomfortable are total and utter Bulls**t. Best car seats I have ever had. Perfect.

6. The comfort and driving experience of the car is amazing - an absolute joy to drive

6. People do turn around and look at this car when they see it. Is it the colour?

On the last point , these cars have previously been called unicorns and as rare as rocking horse :poop:.

On the A1 between Grantham and Peterborough on Tuesday morning I was in a 2 car convoy with another M50 - Davit Grey Reg LL22

Wonder if the owner is on here?

What odds would you get on that:LOL::LOL::LOL:.

Hope my long rambling post helps anyone with concerns on range of the M50. Don’t be concerned, just drive to suit your needs.

Tomorrow morning mine will be back in sport plus lunatic mode for the 20 mile drive to work.

You know it make sense.;)

·
Registered
777 Posts
On the A1 between Grantham and Peterborough on Tuesday morning I was in a 2 car convoy with another M50 - Davit Grey Reg LL22
At 65 mph, very good odds against 😁

• Haha
Reactions: kevpuk

·
Premium Member
M50 (MY23)
249 Posts
Nice read! I now have over 700 miles on mine, in a week, with a couple of 175mile round trips to work, and an outlet mall (140 mile round) family trip and other bits and pieces. I am seeing an average report range in the mid to high 200s, and yet to see over 300. That said, the work commutes are almost entirely motorway and there is a possibility that the adaptive cruise occasionally got accidentally set at 85mph.....Seeing something like 260 range from these sort of trips is good imho, whereas the country road trip to outlet village was showing a markedly better economy.

Still not charged anywhere (on this or our Kona EV) other than at home or office, but then I can charge for 2p/kwh at office and so often aim to fill up there!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im not far away from you - got a M50 in Portimao (Carbon interior and exterior, sunroof, M Technology Pack, Tech Plus Pack, Sunroof, Vis Pack, Comfort Pack 20" 868's) done 3K now...- Chesterfield, home of the crooked spire

·
Registered
i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey M Sports Seats Comfort Pack Park Assistant Plus Extended Shadow Line
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im not far away from you - got a M50 in Portimao (Carbon interior and exterior, sunroof, M Technology Pack, Tech Plus Pack, Sunroof, Vis Pack, Comfort Pack 20" 868's) done 3K now...- Chesterfield, home of the crooked spire
I know it well.

may be a northern meet when we have a few more members.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good update - am across in Worksop and 4800 miles in. Am in a M50 on the 19s and look at 280 miles range typically - that is with about 70% of it on motorway. Achieving much better than I expected and still have some fun too! Saw my first other M50 on the road this week near Mansfield on the M1 - was in Tanzanite and did look good (prefer my Portimao though).

·
Registered
777 Posts
Is now the time to start a what is 'Northern England' discussion(argument)? Unless you can feel a Scotsman's breath on the back of your neck, your a southern softy 😈

JP (Newcastle upon Tyne)

·
Registered
777 Posts
I will join a Newcastle upon Tyne discussion anytime I was born in Wallsend and spent my childhood in Chapel House!
I must confess to being an import (from 'down south') but I've lived here for 35 years and my kids are all Geordies. I originally came 'up north' to teach them to 'talk proper' but failed miserably 😉

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I must confess to being an import (from 'down south') but I've lived here for 35 years and my kids are all Geordies. I originally came 'up north' to teach them to 'talk proper' but failed miserably 😉
Geordies and talking proper in the same sentence 😂😂

My dad was a geordie.

Never understood anything he said 😂😂😂😂

·
Registered
114 Posts
Geordies and talking proper in the same sentence 😂😂

My dad was a geordie.

Never understood anything he said 😂😂😂😂
Ha ha can understand that! The kids all moved to Bournemouth and I am now in Nottingham, sick of the crap summers there. Still got my house in Northumberland, but spend most my time in Nottingham. My Mrs loves it in Newcastle!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Reactions: Graham239

·
Registered
330D M Sport Touring
35 Posts
I went on my 1st long trip on Tuesday from Sheffield to Tilbury on the east side of London.

The car was fully charged , set in Eco Pro and B mode with a/c turned off.

The route was A57, A1,A14, M11, M25, A13 - so mostly major A roads

Temperature was between about 15 - 20 Deg C for the full journey and minimal traffic delays.

I deliberately did this has an economy run and the general speed on the major roads was about 65 mph.

The plan was to charge at the Inoity station at Peterborough services in both directions using the BMW charge card for discounted rates

The 1st part of the journey was 84 miles and needed 22.1kWh to charge to 99%. 3.8m/kWh.

At 99% the car range was then showing 303m

The next part of the journey to Tilbury was 97 miles which used 24.2 kWh - 4.0m/kWh.

The return journey home was via Charlton ( I visit all the posh places) and it looked like I could get home without charging again. At Peterborough i had 15 miles predicted range when i got to Sheffield and I didn’t fancy the range anxiety all the way home so i stopped for a quick charge ( and I mean quick - 3 minutes and 7kWh) to get me home with 30 mile plus range. So yes I did bottle it!!!

111 miles for 27.5 kWh - 4.03 m/kWh.

When charging the predicted 100% range was showing at about 330 miles which is above the BMW published figures. - was surprised :love::love:

The last part of the journey hasn’t uploaded onto the app yet but the trip computer was registering 4.1m/kWh and all other trip figures were accurate. So 4.0m/kWh average for the full trip.

I arrive home with a range of 36 miles.

So the conclusion of my circa 400 mile round trip are as follows:

1. If you drive the car like an old fart out with wife Elsie in their Fiat 500 on a Sunday afternoon outing into the countryside you can beat the published range figures.

2. The range was helped by good weather and temperature which meant the climate control was not doing much work

3. The trip computer seems accuracy against real life.

4. The Ionity chargers are easy to use with the BMW app but I am still waiting for the costs and details to be updated on the app so i am unsure of the total cost and unit rate.

5. The comments posted regarding the M sport seats being uncomfortable are total and utter Bulls**t. Best car seats I have ever had. Perfect.

6. The comfort and driving experience of the car is amazing - an absolute joy to drive

6. People do turn around and look at this car when they see it. Is it the colour?

On the last point , these cars have previously been called unicorns and as rare as rocking horse :poop:.

Wonder if the owner is on here?

Hope my long rambling post helps anyone with concerns on range of the M50. Don’t be concerned, just drive to suit your needs.

Tomorrow morning mine will be back in sport plus lunatic mode for the 20 mile drive to work.

You know it make sense.;)
I’ve completed over 7500 miles in my eDrive40 Brooklyn Grey on 19” wheels since June. Driven normally on all roads, generally with the traffic flow and not trying to overtake everything in sight all the time, it has given me 4.0m/kWh. Had some fun the other day on some Welsh roads for 60min journey and the trip read 3.5m/kWh.
Awesome car even in every way. Always complemented on how nice it looks.
So in summary I concur with all you say. 👍🏻

1 - 16 of 16 Posts