BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I read the new edition of “elektro auto mobil” a German language publication on electric cars for Germany and Austria.

They tend to be able to drive EVs before everyone else and this was true with the VW ID.4 as well as the BMW i4. The good was that they stated that the BMW i4 and i4 m50 were really fun to drive and engaging EVs with only the Porsche Taycan/Audi E-tron GT being more fun to drive.

The bad: They complained about the price and price of the expensive options.

The ugly: They mentioned that there is not enough room for someone 1,80 meter / 5’9” in the rear and at that height their head would be touching the top and their legs would be touching the seat. This means that you probably wouldn’t be able to safely transport someone in the rear unless they were 5’7” or less. I know with the Audi TT there has to be a certain amount of inches of clearance to the rear occupants head to safely be able to transport them. I sat in the rear of the last gen BMW 4 series Gran Coupe and when I sat in the back my hair touched, but that was it and I am 5’11”. The BMW i4 M50 was meant as a family car, but with the poor battery layout it has been turned into a useless rear seat. My son is in the 95th percentile for height and I do not want to buy an expensive EV to have to turn around and sell it in a couple years because he out grew it.

I’ll get my $1,500 deposit back from my local BMW dealership and purchase an electric Porsche Boxster as a fun car when it comes out while keeping my GTI as a practical family car. later on I will replace my GTI with a VW Space Vizzion/Aero B Electric Wagon while keeping my Porsche Boxster EV because in a wagon you can fit tall adults in the rear without having to chop their heads off to fit them in.

·
Registered
90 Posts
This post tends to refute the magazine's view on the rear seat.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The i4 is actually the same model as the Gran Coupe. I guess you should emphasize the Coupe and focus less on the Gran. This is what I like about it, sporty and still sufficiently practical.

I guess there are more spacious cars available. Especially if you’re kids are somewhat taller and are still travelling with you on a regular basis. So maybe the i4 is not for you.

I am 1m80 so you can consider me of average height. And I already had the the opportunity to try the rear seats of the i4. It was very well possible to sit behind myself. I do not foresee any issues in that department. But you’re right, it is not a 760iL.

Reactions: rangerek

·
Registered
103 Posts
The i4 is actually the same model as the Gran Coupe. I guess you should emphasize the Coupe and focus less on the Gran. This is what I like about it, sporty and still sufficiently practical.
I have to agree with Hans about this. The key word here is coupé. [=A coupe or coupé is a passenger car with a sloping or truncated rear roofline and two door.]
You put 2 more doors and you call it Gran, yet it stil is a sport looking car with all the compromises that the word coupe implies.

I am rather tall (1,90+) but I care more about having the ability to carry some bigger (larger than a luggage) objects than tall rear passengers.
I initially looked at SUVs like the EQC and the iX3 for that reason, but the moment i4 came out and I realize that this car has a 5th door (the back window is lifted with the boot) and the rear seats can be folded, it became my first choice for an EV and after I see it in person (just to be sure) I will immediately buy it.

According to this diagram the rear seats height/space is 94,4 cm which in theory is adequate for many adults. (I personally don't think that I can fit there, especially behind "me" , but I don't care since I don't expect to sit there ever).
But theory is not the same as see it and test it for yourself, so everyone who cares it's better not to pre-order it until you check it out in person.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, it’s certainly better than an i8, not to say a 911! Ive still got a neck ache from sitting in the backseat of those.
If your kids are 1.80+ it’s time for them to get their own car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it’s certainly better than an i8, not to say a 911! Ive still got a neck ache from sitting in the backseat of those.
If your kids are 1.80+ it’s time for them to get their own car.
I grew up with a Kettcar and went go karting before I could legally drive alone at age 16. My son out grew his Kettcar and liked to go karting pre COVID. He also likes it when I drive sporty. He’ll be driving as soon as he legally can, but I was 5’8” / 1,80 meter long before I could legally drive and my son will hit 5’8” probably when he is 13.

Had I purchased a used 911 after diesel gate I would have had to sell it when my son was 6. The rear seats are smart though as Porsche angles them and sets them lower for more room. I could sit in the back of my Corrado fine because of the deep bucket seats which were angled.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Luckily no one is being forced to buy an i4. Hope you will get your deposit back on short notice (y)

Reactions: i4 M50 Rennenprofi

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I guess there are more spacious cars available. Especially if you’re kids are somewhat taller and are still travelling with you on a regular basis. So maybe the i4 is not for you.

I am 1m80 so you can consider me of average height. And I already had the the opportunity to try the rear seats of the i4. It was very well possible to sit behind myself. I do not foresee any issues in that department. But you’re right, it is not a 760iL.
A couple months ago I drove two hours one way to downtown Los Angeles to see the i4, but my dealership was mistaken and it was no longer there. Even the website for the event still listed the i4 being there. All they had was the iX. Maybe in a couple months one will be available to sit in.

So at 1,80 meter leaning back in the rear seat with your head on the headrest do you remember how much clearance you had to the roof?

I hate conflicting reports. Best bet is to sit in it yourself.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would wait for Autogefühl review in September- as the guy is around 1.90m and he already did a test in standard 4 series ;)
For me this would be enough to tell if the space is sufficient for teens ;)

here is the test of standard 4 - 23:20 starts the back seat part

·
Registered
180 Posts
It seems to me that the M Sport seats take a couple of extra centimeters. The form of these seats is quite round on the back and takes more space whereas the standard seats are more hollow and therefore offer a bit more knee space.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I currently own a 4 series Gran Coupe 2017 which seems to have the same rear seat dimensions as the i4. I am 1.84 cm (6 feet +) and have no problem sitting in the back seat. If you are much taller you might feel uncomfortable.

Getting into the seats (front and rear) can be challenging for elderly persons; they are quite low.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I currently own a 4 series Gran Coupe 2017 which seems to have the same rear seat dimensions as the i4. I am 1.84 cm (6 feet +) and have no problem sitting in the back seat. If you are much taller you might feel uncomfortable.

Getting into the seats (front and rear) can be challenging for elderly persons; they are quite low.
Same height 94.4 cm and 1 mm difference in width, as I see in the diagrams.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Same height 94.4 cm and 1 mm difference in width, as I see in the diagrams.
The height is between the seat and the roof I believe. Could still be that the floor of the car is relatively higher which would bring the knees upward. This way it could be less comfortable. You hear that a lot with other cars as they need space for the batteries. I can't say I have noticed a much higher floor when I sat down in the car. But then again I was in Euphoria, so I may have missed a couple of issues :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts