BMW i4 Forum banner

Watch The BMW i5 World Premiere Livestream Here

1844 Views 44 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  madac
Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle Car Automotive exterior

Here's the YouTube link to the livestream for the i5.

If that doesn't work you can watch it at

PRESS STREAMING
See less See more
  • Helpful
Reactions: 2
41 - 45 of 45 Posts
I think auto manufacturers have to weigh price, range and weight into the equation when they decide on what type of battery to use.

Heavy, blocky, unstreamlined EV Pickup Trucks and SUV are using/planning to use batteries that are 100 kW or larger because otherwise the range wouldn’t be good. But then what do they expect out of heavy vehicles with poor drag coefficients?

The i4 and i5 were not designed for a 100 kW battery. When battery technology improves larger batteries weighing less will be able to keep the weight at a reasonable amount while improving range.

Theoretically speaking: If the i4 had been designed to also offer an optional 100 kW battery, how much more do you think the 100 kW battery would have cost compared to the 83.4 kW standard? How much more do you think it would have weighed?

I wouldn’t have paid 60% more than my i4 for an EV sedan regardless of make.
Of course it is a factor of weight and so on but the Taycan is around the i4 weight while being both larger (dimension wise), more luxurious and having a larger battery all while being an older car. Sure it is more expensive but BMW wants as much here for the i5 M60 as the equivalent Taycan costs so they are comparable which is why I would expect a larger battery and faster charging for the price. The i4 M50 has an okay battery for it‘s price and size, not pack leading by any stretch but okay. But if you go into a larger car size like the i5 and into Taycan territory money wise I would for sure expect something larger than what the i4 has, because the competitors managed to make that (and more) without being significantly heavier (if at all).
Reactions: 2
Of course it is a factor of weight and so on but the Taycan is around the i4 weight while being both larger (dimension wise), more luxurious and having a larger battery all while being an older car. Sure it is more expensive but BMW wants as much here for the i5 M60 as the equivalent Taycan costs so they are comparable which is why I would expect a larger battery and faster charging for the price. The i4 M50 has an okay battery for it‘s price and size, not pack leading by any stretch but okay. But if you go into a larger car size like the i5 and into Taycan territory money wise I would for sure expect something larger than what the i4 has, because the competitors managed to make that (and more) without being significantly heavier (if at all).
Good point. At that price point it makes sense to look at the competition. The i4 is the better value, but if you have to have a business sedan the i5 e40 (U.S. $68,800 base) has more range 295 miles compared to a Taycan with a 93.4 kW battery. The base Taycan battery is 79.2 kW which is smaller than the battery in the i5 and i4 e40/i4 M50. The larger 93.4 kW battery on the Taycan is a $5,780 option in the U.S. If you are building an i5 M60 with options, but want a higher top speed and range isn’t much of an issue for you then the Taycan is the better choice.

I guess I’m circling back to my point about the Neue Klasse. The iX was built from the ground up to be just electric like the Taycan. When this is done it is easier to save on weight and allow for enough space for ~100 kW batteries. The Mercedes EQS has a range of 350 miles, uses a 108.4 kW battery and was built to be only electric. It’s also much more expensive than an i4 e40…

The i7 shares a platform with the gas 7 series, has a 105.7 kW battery and has a range of 318 miles. The iX SUV was designed solely to be electric, has a 111.5 kW battery and has a range of 307 miles. Clearly if you buy a BMW i4 e40 it is the better buy and you still have 301 miles of range. However even with gas and diesel vehicles some people wanted huge limousines like an Audi A8 or BMW 7 series while others wanted an A4 or BMW 3 series/4 series Gran Coupe and still others wanted inefficient SUVs.
See less See more
A bigger battery should have been possible in i5 when compared to i4 (marginally bigger, but bigger). Based on available data, i5 is a wider and longer (wheelbase) car than i4. Maybe modularity worked against fitting the additional marginal space with battery capacity.
An i5 100kWh would be competing too much with i7 probably and i7 is much more $$$. BMW wants 4 and 5 series to come closer, maybe another reason to offer similar capabilities and let people decide on extra space, refinement (and $$$).
Rangewise i4 x40 seems to be the champion by a few miles over e40.
Reactions: 1
A bigger battery should have been possible in i5 when compared to i4 (marginally bigger, but bigger). Based on available data, i5 is a wider and longer (wheelbase) car than i4. Maybe modularity worked against fitting the additional marginal space with battery capacity.
An i5 100kWh would be competing too much with i7 probably and i7 is much more $$$. BMW wants 4 and 5 series to come closer, maybe another reason to offer similar capabilities and let people decide on extra space, refinement (and $$$).
Rangewise i4 x40 seems to be the champion by a few miles over e40.
You’re right.
future 2024 xDrive 40 - 307 miles of range
i4 eDrive 40 - 301 miles of range

Is it certain yet if the xDrive 40 will also be offered in Romania and Europe or only in the U.S. and elsewhere?

BMW not giving the i5 a larger battery to save i7 sales is kind of like how Porsche originally wouldn’t offer the Boxster or Cayman with a motor as powerful as in the 911. Auto manufacturers don’t want to cannibalize their own sales…
@i4 M50 Rennenprofi
no news for Europe, i4 x40 only for NA for now, but hopefully soon in EU catalogs too.

BMW has already multiple wheelbases (significantly different sizes in iX1, iX3, i4, i5, iX, i7) and also packs of different sizes that are not far enough for each other (with maybe just 4-5KWh incremental difference), so using a fairly similar pack in i5 leaves us with...speculations.
41 - 45 of 45 Posts