BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone buy these? I don't understand why it says it doesn't work with ambient lights? The picture even shows it on a car with ambient lights and cars with ambient still have the puddle light in the door.

• Angry
Reactions: DukesSoles

·
Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40 MSport TBII
2,514 Posts
The car already has lights in the door handles and light carpets/puddle lights projected from behind the front wheel. Is it just for people who want the logo instead?

·
Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, these are for the logo. I have them in my Tesla. But I don't understand why it wouldn't work with a car with Ambient lighting?

·
Registered
i4 M50 19" 861 M Brooklyn Grey
313 Posts
the projectors in the i4 ar beneath the door ( standaard white led )
the carpet lightning is in the sideskirts
i swapped mine for the M logo( not bmw original, but from the friends overseas much cheaper and I must say excellent built quality ). Esay to fit also. plug & play.
But in Europe it seems that the led doorlights are no longer present since a specific date. if you check the brochures, i4's come without it ( because YES they say you already have carpet lightning etc )

·
Registered
774 Posts
Did anyone buy these? I don't understand why it says it doesn't work with ambient lights? The picture even shows it on a car with ambient lights and cars with ambient still have the puddle light in the door.

Its not for "4U4 - Ambient Lighting" but okay with 4UR - Ambient Lighting

·
Registered
774 Posts
And those simple LEDs on the doors you got with the option 4UR Ambient Lightning but not with the (new) option 4U4 Ambient Lightning. All good.

there were never these LEDs in a naked e40 to begin with. These LEDs were part of the Ambient Lightning package (standard on M50).

·
Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It has nothing to do with ambient lightning. The reason that its mentioned there is that these leds cannot be controllee via idrive. Those or just simple leds with a projector image beneath it.
did you look at the link from bmw? It says right on it that the logo projectors do not work with Ambient Lighting. Which doesn't make any sense to me as I don't see what the connection is? This is just swapping the plain white light at the bottom of the door frame with the one with the logo on it. Why would that not be compatibal with the ambient lighting package? Those lights don't change color, do they???

·
Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well thats what i said :/) the door leds are not controlled in any way.
I get that they are not controlled but the bmw website says they are not compatible, so doesn't that mean they won't work?

·
Super Moderator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
5,722 Posts
I get that they are not controlled but the bmw website says they are not compatible, so doesn't that mean they won't work?
Perhaps it just means they aren't integrated with the ambient lights?

·
Registered
105 Posts
did you look at the link from bmw? It says right on it that the logo projectors do not work with Ambient Lighting. Which doesn't make any sense to me as I don't see what the connection is? This is just swapping the plain white light at the bottom of the door frame with the one with the logo on it. Why would that not be compatibal with the ambient lighting package? Those lights don't change color, do they???
they work just fine: my dealer installed them for us and we have ambient lighting

·
Registered
i4 M50 19" 861 M Brooklyn Grey
313 Posts
Correct, they are just not controlled with ambient 'controls' . Like I said, just a tip. don't look for those door leds @ your bmw dealer. Too expensive there.

If you want I can put a pic here from my door leds and the projectors I have ( they can be ordered in many flavours )

Just wait for ordering till you get your car; as I said before no more door leds in EU ( possibly due to : And those simple LEDs on the doors you got with the option 4UR Ambient Lightning but not with the (new) option 4U4 Ambient Lightning )

I checked the BE configurator and it seems on i4 e40 std no ambient lightning. then I guess they are present. If you select the ambient light option, no door leds. The m50 has std ambient lightning I guess ( well mine does ), and it was a delivery 03/2022 . So from july 2022 they changed that, so that no door leds anymore are present with ambient lightning, even in the m50

1 - 20 of 41 Posts