BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
If you're looking for the cheapest iPhone with the best battery life, I would recommend the iPhone SE (2020) model. It has a starting price of $399 and comes with a relatively large battery for its size, which should provide decent battery life.

There are a few older phones which will be left behind with the upgrade to iOS 16 this fall. I would not buy a phone that won't run iOS 16. I would also recommend either the latest iPhone SE or the iPhone 13 Mini if you're trying to keep costs to a minimum.

Here are the devices that will support it (plus the new iPhone 14s likely to be announced in September)--from iOS 16 Preview:

iOS 16 is compatible with these devices.
Learn more about iPhone
  • iPhone 13
  • iPhone 13 mini
  • iPhone 13 Pro
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max
  • iPhone 12
  • iPhone 12 mini
  • iPhone 12 Pro
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max
  • iPhone 11
  • iPhone 11 Pro
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max
  • iPhone XS
  • iPhone XS Max
  • iPhone XR
  • iPhone X
  • iPhone 8
  • iPhone 8 Plus
  • iPhone SE (2nd generation or later)
God I hate iPhones but this is correct. Keep in mind purchasing an older iPhone can that will install the latest IOS version will be slower and use battery quicker.

God I hate iPhones but this is correct. Keep in mind purchasing an older iPhone can that will install the latest IOS version will be slower and use battery quicker.
Myth. Absolutely not true. Happy to go into detail on any Apple technology (it's my "day job"), and I don't care what people use (I am a strong choice advocate), but I won't stand aside when these myths are promulgated. This is 100% not true.

Myth. Absolutely not true. Happy to go into detail on any Apple technology (it's my "day job"), and I don't care what people use (I am a strong choice advocate), but I won't stand aside when these myths are promulgated. This is 100% not true.
One of a few articles I have read on the subject. I don't own an iPhone so I can't say I have personal experience with it being true or not.

One of a few articles I have read on the subject. I don't own an iPhone so I can't say I have personal experience with it being true or not.

...and that article says pretty much the opposite of what you did: if the battery in an iPhone is degraded, iOS will manage battery draw to keep the device from having a catastrophic failure. Replacing the battery will give you back full performance. If iOS didn't manage the battery draw, instantaneous battery demand could be too great and would cause the phone to crash completely.

It will not "use the battery quicker" or be "slower." Those statement are completely untrue.

...and that article says pretty much the opposite of what you did: if the battery in an iPhone is degraded, iOS will manage battery draw to keep the device from having a catastrophic failure. Replacing the battery will give you back full performance. If iOS didn't manage the battery draw, instantaneous battery demand could be too great and would cause the phone to crash completely.

It will not "use the battery quicker" or be "slower." Those statement are completely untrue.
"These power management features throttle the processor on older iPhones with less than optimal batteries, resulting in slower performance."

"These power management features throttle the processor on older iPhones with less than optimal batteries, resulting in slower performance."
(Emphasis added)

If you replace the bad battery, you get the performance back. If the batteries can't deliver the instantaneous current needed by the processor, the entire phone loses power and crashes. This is a real thing and happened to people! Much better to throttle and not lose your data than to crash your phone with arbitrary data loss.

Here's a 9to5 description of the why and how (and you can now turn it off, which would be STUPID):

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.