BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im realy interested why people choose the M50 model mostly in the US region? You dont have the choice to order e40 because it is not built or M50 is more fancy?

I read i4talk.com every day and I realized that most of the bmw funs ordered M50 model in your region. I was considering for a while to ask about that. Can you tell me please?

· Registered
386 Posts
I live in Michigan and have a driveway that curves and goes up a fairly steep hill. FWD and RWD vehicles can struggle to even get up in the winter. Sometimes I'd have to start my Leaf back at the very start of the driveway and build up enough speed to carry me up. I want all my daily drivers to be AWD from here on.

on top of that, i do like the extra power for funsies. I would have certainly optioned the M suspension and whatnot on the eDrive40, so why not go for it? My E36 M3 was my favorite car I have owned. People forget, but the M3s of the 90s and early 00s didn't have punishingly harsh suspension. Peope who wanted to turn them into serious track cars would do full suspension replacements. The M50 may not be "a real M car", but it has that same comfortable to drive but also fun to drive feeling that my M3 had.

i am only buying EVs for the rest of my days. It's the most fun EV that is also comfortably within my budget. (I could buy a Taycan but my wife would be a bit annoyed.) basically, i bought it because i wanted to.

· Registered
74 Posts
I had already decided my next car would be an EV and I was a big fan of BMW as my first car was a used 1991 535i. Anyways, I've reached an income over the last 2 years where I can justify the cost. For me total range was secondary. I wanted the performance of the m50 and preferred AWD.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live in Michigan and have a driveway that curves and goes up a fairly steep hill. FWD and RWD vehicles can struggle to get up even in the winter. Sometimes I'd have to start my Leaf back at the very start of the driveway and build up enough speed to carry me up. I want all my daily drivers to be AWD from here on.

on top of that, i do like the extra power for funsies. I would have certainly optioned the M suspension and whatnot on the eDrive40, so why not go for it? My E36 M3 was my favorite car I have owned. People forget, but the M3s of the 90s and early 00s didn't have punishingly harsh suspension. Peope who wanted to turn them into serious track cars would do full suspension replacements. The M50 may not be "a real M car", but it has that same comfortable to drive but also fun to drive feeling that my M3 had.

i am only buying EVs for the rest of my days. It's the most fun EV that is also comfortably within my budget. (I could buy a Taycan but my wife would be a bit annoyed.) basically, i bought it because i wanted to.
Its very sad for me that you have so much differences between the models, here in Hungary you can order both of the models with the same extras. I would like to say that my i4 e40 will have adaptive M suspension.

· Administrator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
7,766 Posts
AWD, plain and simple. I live in Colorado and commute 90 miles into the mountains to work at a ski area a couple dozen times every winter. AWD is essential.

· Registered
386 Posts
Its very sad for me that you have so much differences between the models, here in Hungary you can order both of the models with the same extras. I would like to say that my i4 e40 will have adaptive M suspension.
you can order the eDrive40 with the M suspension here. My point was I would have done that so that is one more reason to just go for the M50 which comes with it included. :)

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At the beginning i was considering to order an M50 model, but the difference in the annual insurance was so high that I decided to stay at e40. My insurance will be about 800-1000 euro, M50 is about 1800-2000 euro.
The waiting time was longer as well. I placed my order at the end of february and we estimated the delivery time at the end of the fall or little bit later. M50 started one and half year at least.

• Wow
Reactions: CheddarKungPao

· Registered
325 Posts
Once you added the m sport package etc to the e40 upgrading to M50 was 5 or 6k more and got you 200 extra HP. That's a really hard to pass bargain. I really wanted the rwd feel. Otherwise I'd have gone for the M50 just for the fun factor. As a non skiing Californian, AWD is of no use to me.

I think overall there should be more e40s around in the US. It's just M50 orders are taking a lot longer and perhaps there is more chatter about the model from the anticipating owners in this forum.

Reactions: CheddarKungPao

· Premium Member
241 Posts
Electrical is a practical choice. The M version adds stupid fast and AWD.

Reactions: Jurgen W

· Registered
939 Posts
Im realy interested why people choose the M50 model mostly in the US region? You dont have the choice to order e40 because it is not built or M50 is more fancy?

I read i4talk.com every day and I realized that most of the bmw funs ordered M50 model in your region. I was considering for a while to ask about that. Can you tell me please?
I prefer AWD vehicles, and I wanted something with the same or more power than my previous ride (Tesla Model 3 LR AWD). If BMW had a lower power AWD version, then I might have gone with that. Also, by the time I optioned up the e40, I wasn't that far away from the m50 price anyway.

· Administrator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
7,766 Posts
I’m guessing Hidden Valley… :). back in the day, it was one of my favorites!!!
Hidden Valley is no more... it's beautiful still, of course, and you can hike it any time of year, but the lifts are long gone...

One of my close friends at Copper is Don Coleman who was Ski School Director at Hidden Valley many years ago... he's been at Copper since about the time it opened in the early 70s.

· Premium Member
981 Posts
I didn’t want an EV slower than my SUV. Having owned the i4 M50 for a month, I can’t imagine having an eDrive40 with 200 less HP. I would’ve hated that car and probably sold it within a month.

• Wow
Reactions: ssh
1 - 20 of 101 Posts