BMW i4 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 101 Posts

· Registered
2022 Tesla M3P; 2020 Cayenne; 2017 Carrera
3 Posts
From the time I started driving (60 years ago), the tradition was to buy as much horsepower as you could afford. Stop light racing and 0-60 times are essential parts of the American fetish, and I plead guilty, having owned many fast cars. Given EV power, though, fast now means "exotic car" fast, and even the eDrive 40, which is faster than the old M3's, is the "slow" model. I'm selling my Tesla Model 3 Performance and have ordered a 40 since (1) I don't need (or like) AWD, (2) I prefer the longer range, and (3) I dread getting a speeding ticket in SoCal. That said, the 50 is a terrific choice and great value vis-a-vis Taycan.

· Registered
436 Posts
Well for most the reason you will hear is because of awd. How ever I been in the car hobby a long time cars and coffee every weekend modded all my own cars tuned all my own cars been basically in the car culture 24/7 my whole life and I can tell you in America anyway there is a lot of I have to have the best to be better then the next guy. It goes so far in our car culture that people wil go hunt down build sheets of entire runs just to find if they have a one of a kind build and color combo and then they advertise it. We are also a culture of well we have to HAVE ALL THE OPTIONS nothing else will do its fully loaded all the way or nothing.

Why did some buy the M50? well because it was the top option... biggers better right? Most people buy top models for performance or ego or any combo of reasons but the i4 and i4 M50 are a strange one. Even though its one of the few cars that almost every reviewer has said the lower trim actually is the better driving and handling car, to which I can say yes because I have also owned both for some time and the lower trim is actually the better driver, people still go after the mental satisfaction of I have to have the higher car because its better.

Just like the with the parking and driving add ons that every one is just having to have as if in the history of driving every car has been junk and just ran off cliffs with out them. But they are an option and well we have to have fully loaded even though the car drives and handles just fine without them and we honestly dont need anything else to take our eyes off the road .

I too am guilty I wanted and now have the M50 I dint get a full loaded one though. I also had the edrive 40 and honestly the edrive 40 is just fine and its the better handling car but yeah its not the top its not the fastest its not the M badge its not got the clout and stroking our own mental ego in this country is a bigger deal then most will admit.

I mean I got it for the AWD ( even though it only snows like 5 days the whole year) and the more power (becasue 95% of driving is stop light to stop light) and because once fully loaded it was only 10k more then the e40.... LOL (only 10k pft peanuts)... people will justify it anyway they can before admitting it was because we are males and some times females and we need the biggest best and fastest regardless of any real practical reason just to make ourselves happy.

Honestly I bought it for one reason it was the top model and I wanted to say yup thats the M50 baby :) and to be totally truth full no one needs a car that cost more then 30K NO ONE after that its just to please ourselves and no longer for anything practical.

Merry Christmas. Feel free to send hate mail to.... Kidding, Now go out and enjoy those EVS

· Registered
I4M50
1,131 Posts
I live in Michigan and have a driveway that curves and goes up a fairly steep hill. FWD and RWD vehicles can struggle to even get up in the winter. Sometimes I'd have to start my Leaf back at the very start of the driveway and build up enough speed to carry me up. I want all my daily drivers to be AWD from here on.

on top of that, i do like the extra power for funsies.
Same here. 16 degrees (30%) slope to my house. Only cars with AWD can get up to my garage in icy/snowy conditions.

Sky Cloud Plant Snow Slope

Brown Snow Slope Freezing Plant

· Registered
i4 eDrive40 M Sport (2022)
85 Posts
I love my VW MK7, and was tempted with the eGolf (before they cancelled it). Do you get the VW ID3 over there? Did you try it? How did it feel like? I felt the ID4 had too much empty space. But I don't know if that scales down to the ID3.
I am with you on MK 7. The whole ID3 experienced sucked as you would say in US. It was a huge let down in every respect. I reserved 1st Edition but bailed out. It was everything a VW should not be. Funny, when my wife got into and drove the i4 she said it had the feel of the Golf and she like that it felt like a non futuristic EV (I.e. Teslas she hated). ID tried to, felt better but more roomy and rather vacuous. TBH the Kia had a far better fee overall to both the ID3 and ID4.
I have said many times that VW should have found a better way to EV the Golf platform or designed an EV in keeping with the Golf in terms of design, finish and quality. I don’t see the ID range ever getting to the iconic status of a Golf.

· Registered
85 Posts
Well for most the reason you will hear is because of awd. How ever I been in the car hobby a long time cars and coffee every weekend modded all my own cars tuned all my own cars been basically in the car culture 24/7 my whole life and I can tell you in America anyway there is a lot of I have to have the best to be better then the next guy. It goes so far in our car culture that people wil go hunt down build sheets of entire runs just to find if they have a one of a kind build and color combo and then they advertise it. We are also a culture of well we have to HAVE ALL THE OPTIONS nothing else will do its fully loaded all the way or nothing.

Why did some buy the M50? well because it was the top option... biggers better right? Most people buy top models for performance or ego or any combo of reasons but the i4 and i4 M50 are a strange one. Even though its one of the few cars that almost every reviewer has said the lower trim actually is the better driving and handling car, to which I can say yes because I have also owned both for some time and the lower trim is actually the better driver, people still go after the mental satisfaction of I have to have the higher car because its better.

Just like the with the parking and driving add ons that every one is just having to have as if in the history of driving every car has been junk and just ran off cliffs with out them. But they are an option and well we have to have fully loaded even though the car drives and handles just fine without them and we honestly dont need anything else to take our eyes off the road .

I too am guilty I wanted and now have the M50 I dint get a full loaded one though. I also had the edrive 40 and honestly the edrive 40 is just fine and its the better handling car but yeah its not the top its not the fastest its not the M badge its not got the clout and stroking our own mental ego in this country is a bigger deal then most will admit.

I mean I got it for the AWD ( even though it only snows like 5 days the whole year) and the more power (becasue 95% of driving is stop light to stop light) and because once fully loaded it was only 10k more then the e40.... LOL (only 10k pft peanuts)... people will justify it anyway they can before admitting it was because we are males and some times females and we need the biggest best and fastest regardless of any real practical reason just to make ourselves happy.

Honestly I bought it for one reason it was the top model and I wanted to say yup thats the M50 baby :) and to be totally truth full no one needs a car that cost more then 30K NO ONE after that its just to please ourselves and no longer for anything practical.

Merry Christmas. Feel free to send hate mail to.... Kidding, Now go out and enjoy those EVS
You are on the money for sure. Great you call it as you see it.

· Registered
85 Posts
Same here. 16% slope to my house. Only cars with AWD can get up to my garage in icy/snowy conditions.

View attachment 21067
View attachment 21068
You learn something every day. Slopes and snow are not something that is really a material issue in the UK but I do get why in the US you need a car that is able to cope with the weather and terrain you get.

· Registered
I4M50
1,131 Posts
You learn something every day. Slopes and snow are not something that is really a material issue in the UK but I do get why in the US you need a car that is able to cope with the weather and terrain you get.
Or in my case, Sweden

· Registered
436 Posts
There are 2 mountain ranges in the US the other 80% is flat and not many actually live on the mountains just in the foot hills. I live in the valleys of the Smokey mountains IN the eastern US and there isnt many place you cant go with 2 wheel drive and do just fine and those places you cant a awd luxury sedan isnt going anyway even with awd you need a suv or truck.

Reactions: WhippetMcG

· Registered
2023 BMW i4 M50
178 Posts
My friend bought a M3 through European Delivery in 1994. I’ve wanted a M ever since it took a ride in his car. After years of buying four cylinder Toyotas, Mazdas, and Hondas, I decided to go for a custom car with the exact features I wanted. No more packages with set options. I also wanted an EV, but I don’t like the Tesla’s look, ride, and build quality. I test drove an e40 and it was nice, but at the time I got bumped out of the 2022 model year and lost the DAPP and PAP. At that point I decided to go for it and buy the M50. I’ve had some health issues and scares so who knows whether or not this might be my last car. If it is, I will go out having a launch controlled super-boosted blast for as long as I can.

· Registered
386 Posts

this thesis is completely invalidated by the fact that for pretty much any car model under the sun the top trim is not the top seller. Anyone who knows anything about marketing will tell you that you offer 3 options to get people to buy the middle one. That some will go for the top model is a nice bonus.

· Registered
436 Posts
this thesis is completely invalidated by the fact that for pretty much any car model under the sun the top trim is not the top seller. Anyone who knows anything about marketing will tell you that you offer 3 options to get people to buy the middle one. That some will go for the top model is a nice bonus.
yeahhhh except they underproduce the top model and its always back ordered so in the scheme of what is available the top model never is because everyone is waiting for it. under normal situations pre pandemic you could find middle tier models of anything anywhere top models have always been scarce because you cant find them cause what they do make gets snapped up pre delivery. if they made more then more would sell. so middle models get bought because its the closet thing to the top model that 90% of people cant buy because its sold out or I can promise more of the top model would be sold.

· Registered
15 Posts
For me - I had decided my next vehicle would be an EV.

Initially I wanted a Model 3 LR AWD. After all the insane price hikes, build quality issues, and practically seeing every other person owning a Model 3, I decided to look at other options.

I test drove an i4 M50 and instantly fell in love. For about a $10k difference between eDrive 40 and M50, you get insane performance and AWD. It was a no brainer to me.

I did really want a Taycan for a brief moment. I test drove one and it was very nice. The biggest advantage it has IMO is the styling and WOW factor, but the price difference was not justified in my book. A Taycan 4S similarly equipped to an i4 M50 was coming out to ~$135k which is about twice the price of the i4 M50, and there is no way that car is worth double what the i4 M50 is going for. The Taycan does not offer one pedal driving either which is bonkers to me. Not to mention the i4 M50 is slightly faster. Also, I read quite a bit on the Taycan forums and many people are reporting issues - things such as their heater not working in the middle of winter, car not charging, etc.

I was able to get a canceled i4 M50 order and have really enjoyed it so far. For the price, you really are getting a lot for your money.

· Administrator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
7,766 Posts
There are 2 mountain ranges in the US the other 80% is flat and not many actually live on the mountains just in the foot hills. I live in the valleys of the Smokey mountains IN the eastern US and there isnt many place you cant go with 2 wheel drive and do just fine and those places you cant a awd luxury sedan isnt going anyway even with awd you need a suv or truck.
Well... it's not about where we live. It's about where we drive! And I drive in the mountains a good 50+ days a year, and typically at least 10 of those in pretty serious snow conditions.

· Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40 MSport TBII
2,788 Posts
This second image could easily have been taken on my drive home from work the other night. Shape/curves of road, guardrail, etc. Yours might be 1-2% steeper, though. One difference is that looks like someone's cleared a path / someone's walked on the left, and and there's no room to walk on the road I'm thinking of.

Looks like fun though. 😈

• Haha
Reactions: ssh

· Registered
386 Posts
this is a really silly statement. You don t need a freaking mountain to get stuck with a 2WD vehicle. My driveway is sufficient sometimes. And yes, sometimes AWD on a luxury sedan does make the difference. If the two drive wheels on the 2WD car can't get traction, but the other two could, AWD would help you there. Additionally, I live on a dirt road that's off another dirt road. These roads are never totally clear until spring once the snow really comes. While most of the time 2WD wouldn't get stuck, AWD is just more sure-footed.

you're talking a lot of nonsense in this thread and it makes you look very silly.

· Administrator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
7,766 Posts
Mod: Avoid personal attacks and stick with the topics. Thanks.

· Registered
2023 BMW I4 40 M Sport Tanzanite Blue
64 Posts
I'm not questioning at all all the reasons for preferring M50 over e40, but few people mentioned that they would've had a problem with e40 due to its lack of performance. 4.7 per Motor Trend and 4.8 per Car and Driver 0 to 60 is pretty fast in my book.

· Registered
939 Posts
I'm not questioning at all all the reasons for preferring M50 over e40, but few people mentioned that they would've had a problem with e40 due to its lack of performance. 4.7 per Motor Trend and 4.8 per Car and Driver 0 to 60 is pretty fast in my book.
It depends on what you’re used to driving. My wife put it simply. No real smile on my face with the e40 test drive, and then a huge smile when we test drove the m50. She wasn’t wrong!

• Haha
Reactions: Trej and ssh
41 - 60 of 101 Posts