BMW i4 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 101 Posts

· Registered
2023 BMW I4 40 M Sport Tanzanite Blue
64 Posts
It depends on what you’re used to driving. My wife put it simply. No real smile on my face with the e40 test drive, and then a huge smile when we test drove the m50. She wasn’t wrong!
My previous car was TM3 LR. Before that I had a couple of e90/92 335s, Mercedes E43. TM3 LR initial acceleration felt noticeably faster than 4.2 to 4.7 0 to 60

· Registered
77 Posts
Performance factor and also for winter.

I also have figured out how to manage the weight of the car to my advantage and its endless fun to shift the weight to the front, do a quick turn then suddenly press the accelerator quickly to shift the weight back to the center and get the car in a power slide. This is also much easier to do in the snow, so fun!

· Registered
171 Posts
For the longest time and before XDrive, people buy BMW because it's FR, and people bash Audi for them being AWD or FW bias and no fun lol But I guess time's changed, and 0-60 matters more than driving dynamics to a lot of people. I don't see the M50 as a performance car, it's more like a fast(er-ish) EV with decent handling. My partner's e40 arrived late July and I've driven it extensively but to be honest, I hated it, it felt like a 5 series in terms of driving dynamics and handling, not exactly like a boat but still won't give me any confidence under "more spirit" driving, and the acceleration of the e40 didn't do anything for me and actually felt pretty slow. I was really worried about how my M50 would handles at that point.

Comes late Nov, I finally got my M50, for the first few hundred km, I really wanted to get rid of the car, it felt a lot heavier around corners and although more comfortable than the e40 (My partner's didn't have adaptive suspensions) it pretty much felt well... like a boat with the air suspensions driving around town... But as I grew more familiar with the car and start pushing it a bit more and more, it's actually a lot more capable than the e40 around corners, the M badge did indeed meant something... This is just my personal take, and I know there's a lot of people out there totally disagree with me, but the M50 TO ME is way more planted and turn in much sharper than e40 when pushing harder than normal driving. I guess you can say e40 in a way is more fun being FR, but coming from Audi and used to AWD, with nanny off, you can have a lot of fun with lift-off oversteer or at least steering correction in the M50 with AWD and regenerative braking.

At the end, I don't think I'd be driving a i4 at all if e40 is the only trim available, it just isn't what I wanted, the M50 though is not a sports car, but it can at least gives me the confident around corners. And I'm pretty sure I'll get a bigger smile once I can have the car lowered and with spacers. Again, this is just my take and what fits me, if everyone in the world wanted the same thing, everyone would be going after the same girl and buying the same car LOL

· Registered
1,033 Posts
I chose the M50 when PAP and DAPP got removed from the eDrive40, but then switched back when they became available again. There are many people on this forum who won’t buy the e40 based on the specs on paper compared to the M50, but I think everyone should try to find the opportunity to test drive both for themselves. If you need AWD there’s only one option so you can stop the discussion right there. I’ve test driven both numerous times and still chose the e40.

Also, one small point, the M50’s 536 hp is only available for short durations in Sport Boost. Other driving modes give you around 470 hp. No slouch by any means and still considerably more on paper than the e40, though in regular driving the e40 felt 80% as fast to me.

· Administrator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
7,766 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: EagleWolfSparrow

· Registered
11 Posts
Im realy interested why people choose the M50 model mostly in the US region? You dont have the choice to order e40 because it is not built or M50 is more fancy?

I read i4talk.com every day and I realized that most of the bmw funs ordered M50 model in your region. I was considering for a while to ask about that. Can you tell me please?
I took delivery in August of the e40 and love it. I had the choic of M50 and e40 and the sales person did not try to steer me either way. However: as far as I know you can only test drive the M50 in the USA.

I think the main reason for choosing the M50 is the two electric motors deliver more acceleration and all wheel drive.
e40 is rear wheel drive only. In climates with snow the all wheel drive is better plus Americans like the "muscle car" aspect of the M50.

· Administrator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
7,766 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Primary reason: AWD. The extra power/Motorsport tuning are an added bonus.
I live in Florida, in the Tampa Bay Area. I have the eDrive40 with M Sports. I do not need AWD in Florida and I am very satisfied with mine. As someone said before, it didn’t make sense to spend an extra $5-6,000 for fun. I love my eDrive40 and had been driving since July 2nd.

· Registered
M50 Portimao Blue, 19" Rims, Black Leather
55 Posts
Power and speed. I had initially planned on getting the E Drive 40 M sport but it was only £12 per month more for the M50 and it has a much higher spec than a fairly well optioned M Sport.

· Registered
M5 to i4M50 Tanzanite Blue, Tacora Red Leather, Aluminum with mesh effect, loaded
49 Posts
I feel the need for speed....constantly! And, as my handle suggests, I am coming off of an M5 so an e40 just wouldn't cut it.

· Registered
M50 19"
149 Posts
My mom always said " look at him, he must have more money than sense". Well, I'm pleased to say, I have more money than sense so it had to be the m50 for me. The e40 is much more sensible. Also I was coming from a polestar2 with 400 bhp and I was worried the e40bwould just feel a bit ....flat.
Didn't get chance to drive the e40 and the m50 trounced the P2 so I ordered.

· Registered
939 Posts
I took delivery in August of the e40 and love it. I had the choic of M50 and e40 and the sales person did not try to steer me either way. However: as far as I know you can only test drive the M50 in the USA.
My dealer group has both available for test drives. Split across 2 dealers in the same city.

Reactions: ssh

· Registered
2 Posts
Im realy interested why people choose the M50 model mostly in the US region? You dont have the choice to order e40 because it is not built or M50 is more fancy?

I read i4talk.com every day and I realized that most of the bmw funs ordered M50 model in your region. I was considering for a while to ask about that. Can you tell me please?
I live in the northeast US and AWD is essential. Plus the performance difference between the e40 and M50 was worth it to me.

· Registered
6 Posts
I live in Buffalo NY. Not sure I need to add anything else to explain choice.
IF not for winter and snow I would have been fine with I4. But mostly based on cost. the M will be nice. I told dealer I wanted car in April 2022. My vehicle was allocated in October. Production November, shipping commenced in December and exception car to arrive second week in January.

· Registered
8 Posts
I can see the AWD being a make or break in some situations. I took delivery on my e40 three weeks ago. I drove both the M50 and the edrive40 pretty hard through city streets and highways around Seattle where I live. In all the conditions I encounter driving, I just could not tell a difference in acceleration or handling. (I did drive adaptive suspension and ordered it on my edrive40). We have an 8 cylinder SUV with studs for ski trips. Since getting my i4, hilly Seattle has had snow and ice and honestly, the car is so heavy, with 19 inch wheels, it does fine in the snow. I don’t have a steep curvy driveway. I didn’t like the cut in range (which is already cut by getting any legit performance wheels), and I didn’t like the idea of waiting several more months to take delivery on an M50 that didn’t seem much different for daily driving. For me the tax benefit changes on January 1, so it would have been substantially more money. I did have some regrets about not having the M badge and the analysis upthread about Americans wanting the biggest, best is insightful. In the end, I was happy to spend the extra money getting the options I wanted (except the wrap around cameras which were taken out as an e40 option after I ordered — dealer gave me the chance to change my order) and the edrive40 is a total hoot to drive. No regrets, but if this was my ski car, I likely would have picked rhe M50. Like I said, normal snow commuting is fine in this car.

· Registered
E-drive 40 Dravid grey/cognac Msports package with all options.
338 Posts
I think in general, the American consumer, BMW drivers, are used to the fact that the power or luxury level of a car isn’t being taxed extra whereas in Europe, many countries are taxed more for higher performance cars and higher cc/hp a car has. European consumers in addition do not need these cars and do not drive very long distance as in US.

Again that’s in general. I’m sure there are plenty of other reasons, like winter driving…. If edrive 40 came as 4wd it would be in higher demand in the US.

· Premium Member
981 Posts
If edrive 40 came as 4wd it would be in higher demand in the US.
You are 100% correct on this one. Most people that buy a "regular non-M" BMW prefer xDrive. Frankly, xDrive is an excellent system, it does very well in snowy/blizzard conditions, for myself, it would take some serious convincing/reasoning to get a BMW without it.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts