BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 10:55 in this video...

...this guy lifts off the plastic cover that's under the hood to reveal what's there and what's there looks like a lot of space to have added a sizable frunk had just a few of the cables been moved slightly off to the edges. I'm also wondering if some company will make a molded plastic insert to fit into the cavity that's there - thus creating a frunk in the i4. I'd buy one.

·
Registered
575 Posts
A proper frunk would take some rerouting of things and then a good deal of money, time, and design. What are the underhood temperatures anyway?

I find frunks borderline useless. I leave the Tesla charger in the frunk, but it doesn't need to be there since I don't use it. It could go in a box in the garage next to the I-Pace charger.

Part of the issue is that the frunks all have latches like a regular hood, so they're just inconvenient that way. Another issue is that I typically don't back into parking spots, so if I want frunk access, I'm on a curb or backed against another car when accessing, and it requires a walk around the car. Mainly, though, anything that fits in a tiny frunk is going to easily go on the seat next to me or in the back seat. Anything large is going into the trunk, not a tiny frunk. They're just unnecessary.

Reminds me of the bins in the floor of my pickup. They were so cool. I used them all of never. Maybe if I was in a gun-toting state, I could have played supercowboylawmansoldier and stuffed a pistol in there, but they were too smile for long guns.

So meh.

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A proper frunk would take some rerouting of things and then a good deal of money, time, and design. What are the underhood temperatures anyway?

I find frunks borderline useless. I leave the Tesla charger in the frunk, but it doesn't need to be there since I don't use it. It could go in a box in the garage next to the I-Pace charger.

Part of the issue is that the frunks all have latches like a regular hood, so they're just inconvenient that way. Another issue is that I typically don't back into parking spots, so if I want frunk access, I'm on a curb or backed against another car when accessing, and it requires a walk around the car. Mainly, though, anything that fits in a tiny frunk is going to easily go on the seat next to me or in the back seat. Anything large is going into the trunk, not a tiny frunk. They're just unnecessary.

Reminds me of the bins in the floor of my pickup. They were so cool. I used them all of never. Maybe if I was in a gun-toting state, I could have played supercowboylawmansoldier and stuffed a pistol in there, but they were too smile for long guns.

So meh.
Yeah...I get it. I sometimes wonder if I just want one to shut those up that list points against the car. I do like the idea of keeping my cables up there though....well maybe. Would be good for getting ice cream home in the winter too 😘

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have a frunk on my 911 and while I of course am forced to use it, it’s quite practical. First off you can back into a spot and get your stuff. Secondly it’s big enough for weekend bags but small enough that stuff won’t roll around everywhere. It has to be first popped with a button and then unhooked like a normal hood, so it’s a bit annoying l, but take a look at the Hummer EV, now that’s an awesome frunk!

On my estate car I ironically don’t use the back so much because it’s hard to access while parked and just too big. All groceries go in the rear seat footwells.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Kinda annoyed that there's no frunk in the i4.

Even though the hatch is big enough,

.....who ever says NO to more space??

Frunks are great and practical for transporting certain stuff :)

I for one, love the new car smell in my BMWs, and do everything to preserve it.

think...
smelly take out food
stinky gym gear
golf clubs
a wet d... lolll

heck even unruly passengers can be 'relocated' there :)

As a super bonus, its the perfect diaper changing station for young ones.

Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

dogs :)
Tire Wheel Car Window Vehicle
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Grille Vehicle registration plate

Smelly food that would ruin the new car smell. (3 large, and 2 mediums)
Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle

Stinky towels and beach gear
Automotive parking light Tire Grille Car Vehicle

Where the annoying passenger(s)/friend(s) goes! :)
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yeah...I get it. I sometimes wonder if I just want one to shut those up that list points against the car. I do like the idea of keeping my cables up there though....well maybe. Would be good for getting ice cream home in the winter too 😘
We have things in our frunk that we never use. Well, I did accidentally leave a screw driver in a frunk before. Frunks are for fools! Now if a frunk could auto open and close, I'd still not use it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have things in our frunk that we never use. Well, I did accidentally leave a screw driver in a frunk before. Frunks are for fools! Now if a frunk could auto open and close, I'd still not use it.
haha....I'll use that next time a Tesla guy brings this up with me...in the voice of Mr Tee "I pity the fool that has a Frunk!"

·
Registered
i4 M50 19" 861M Sanremo green
1,567 Posts
There’s a company selling aftermarket frunks for the iX3. WOKEBY - products - BMW iX3 - BMW iX3 Frunk

I agree that a frunk is not that useful, but if anyone is interest, keep an eye on their site.
Thank you @Accident, I definitely will monitor their site. I won't get my car until July-August (if!) so there's plenty of time, if they come up with a "painless installation" frunk, I'll definitely go for it. Would be for those things that I hardly ever use but always want to be in the car like emergency kit, charging cable, bungee cords, some basic tools, flashlight kind of stuff. If I had an ix3 I certainly would buy their stuff, looks well made and not too expensive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts