BMW i4 Forum banner

Does it matter to you that there is no frunk?

• Yes

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 40 76.9%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unlike many electric vehicles that get a frunk (front trunk), the i4 electric four-door coupe will not. Instead, BMW is using the space to store the electric motor, electronic controls and other powertrain components. Does it matter to you that there is no frunk?
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
33 Posts
If I was getting an electric Ford F-150 truck, having a frunk would be a definite plus. However, I have driven cars for my whole life without frunks and managed okay. I suppose you could say it would be a nice bonus feature, but for me it's not a dealbreaker if there is no frunk.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don't care. It would be a nice addition, but the frunk is not why I have chosen to buy a electric car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't care. It would be a nice addition, but the frunk is not why I have chosen to buy a electric car.
Exactly. And since most cars have their charge port at the rear, it is actually far more convenient to get the cable from the trunk. Besides, the trunk is electric and opens via keyless go (and via sensor under the car), whereas the frunk hood has none of that!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Come to think about it, I haven't seen any EV owners load their frunk. It's always been the trunk for bigger items and the passenger area for typical everyday things that fit in the average shopping bag. I guess frunks aren't that important after all.

My i3 has a frunk but I never ever use it so I’m cool with the i4 not having one.
Welcome!
Which i4 did you order? Add it to The BMW i4 Reservation Tracking List

·
Registered
1 Posts
To each his own I guess, but after getting a car with the frunk I find myself using it more often than the trunk.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
To each his own I guess, but after getting a car with the frunk I find myself using it more often than the trunk.
Welcome to the forum @Zak Powers

What car it is?

I can see how a frunk can be useful and even the path of least resistance, especially when it comes to items best stored in a frunk organizer. Actually in that case it could even be better than a trunk!

If you reserved an i4, add it to The BMW i4 Reservation Tracking List

·
Registered
256 Posts
I wish BMW had a frunk for the i4. I don't see why they couldn't have found a workaround. But is it a dealbreaker for me to get the i4? Not in the slightest, I'm getting the i4 because of the performance and range. Besides, I'm used to my cars only having a trunk so it won't really change much for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Doesn’t matter. Dayly use, work etc, don’t need extra space other than trunk. Hollyday and weekends I use my XC90.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unlike many electric vehicles that get a frunk (front trunk), the i4 electric four-door coupe will not. Instead, BMW is using the space to store the electric motor, electronic controls and other powertrain components. Does it matter to you that there is no frunk?
View attachment 957
Yes. Most people familiar with EVs understand the main appeal of the frunk is not the storage but the crumple zone it provides in accidents. The added safety is the main draw. Surprised BMW doesn’t know that.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes. Most people familiar with EVs understand the main appeal of the frunk is not the storage but the crumple zone it provides in accidents. The added safety is the main draw. Surprised BMW doesn’t know that.
Welcome to the forum @SueM
Great point. Does the lack of a frunk for its crumple zone benefits concern you?
Add your i4 to The BMW i4 Reservation Tracking List :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Are you sure about that?
Ioniq 5 has a frunk but it also has a significantly shorter front part.
i4 has no frunk but a really looong hood.
So which one is better in a crash and why?

·
Registered
232 Posts
A frunk does not make a car better in case of a crash. Empty space is the worst as it cannot absorb any energy from the impact/collision.

How the chassis is designed, how the crumple zones are designed to help transfer the cars kinetic energy into controlled deformation, or crumpling at impact, that is what makes a car great at withstanding a crash.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hmm. I'm finding some "evidence" to support that a frunk actually helps during an impact.
Elon Musk says so here:

Still "our" BMW i4 (especially eDrive40) doesn't actually have a heavy combustion engine in the front. And it has a loooong front.
I highly doubt that i4 won't get 5 stars in every crash test out there.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hmm. I'm finding some "evidence" to support that a frunk actually helps during an impact.
Elon Musk says so here:

Still "our" BMW i4 (especially eDrive40) doesn't actually have a heavy combustion engine in the front. And it has a loooong front.
I highly doubt that i4 won't get 5 stars in every crash test out there.
I need some more technical information on how the frunk helps in a tesla. The article dosent give any specific details and mostly focus on the engine block will not be pushed into the passengers. Typically you design the frame in a way that it crumbles easily resulting in high energy absorbing.

Here you see all the beams which have the crumble zones.

If you then look at which beams absorb the most force you can distribute it like this:

Here you have the estimated energy absorption percentages in the frontal structure.

Even the engine is estimated to absorb 20% of the energy. So in this example the frunk would result in 20% less energy absorption.

Let's compare the ncap for the BMW 4 series coupe (ICE) and Tesla model 3:

4 series:
Adult Occupant 97%
Child Occupant 83%
Vulnerable Road Users 93%
Safety Assist 72%

Tesla model 3:
Adult Occupant 96%
Child Occupant 86%
Vulnerable Road Users 74%
Safety Assist 94%

They are both great cars. The ice better protects the Adults and pedestrians where the tesla has the edge for the child's.

So choosing cars with a frunk for safety reasons dosent make sense in my opinion

1 - 20 of 36 Posts