BMW i4 Forum banner

Does it matter to you that there is no frunk?

• Yes

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 38 76.0%
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unlike many electric vehicles that get a frunk (front trunk), the i4 electric four-door coupe will not. Instead, BMW is using the space to store the electric motor, electronic controls and other powertrain components. Does it matter to you that there is no frunk?
The i4 is basically a 4 Gran Coupé where they switched the ICE and fuell cell for an electric motor and battery. For the i4 eDrive 40 the single motor is between the back wheels (RWD), where the M50 is AWD and does have a second motor in the front. Electric motor's are quite small and require a lot less "powertrain components" so I would be very surprised if there was no room to add a (small) front trunk.

Does it matter to me that they didn't include a frunk ? Yes, it does. We only own one car, so besides looking great and being fun to drive, unfortunately it also needs to be practical. Any additional storage solutions will always come in handy. Is it a deal breaker? No, obviously a front trunk is not that important. But it does feel lazy and rushed, not the premium well designed car you would expect at this price point. Even if it could only hold the charging cables, yes normally you put them in the trunk but when you are on holiday the trunk can be full so it would be nice to have a dedicated space for the cables.

For me there is a big difference with cars that were designed as electric-only cars (Tesla, Ioniq 5, ..) and cars that come in ICE variations as well (XC40, i4, iX3). Electric cars offer a lot more design freedom that can be used for more practical solutions. For example no drive tunnel is required, this way a flat floor is possible at the back seats, or more leg room for the driver/passenger, or some extra storage.

I'm getting the i4 because of the performance and range.
So why not get a Tesla 3 LR?
Longer range, better performance, faster charging + tesla supercharger network

·
Registered
10 Posts
So why not get a Tesla 3 LR?
Longer range, better performance, faster charging + tesla supercharger network
It’s a matter of subjective taste. We valuate different features in our car selection. For me I4 range is enough, also the performance and charging speed. We will see in future, what is the real difference between 3 LR and I4 in these measures.

Don’t see charger network that important because I have home chargers available in locations where I will use I4. And Tesla has a total 12 supercharger stations in Finland, if I counted correctly from their page. That does not make huge difference..

·
Registered
9 Posts
It’s a matter of subjective taste. We valuate different features in our car selection.
Just to clearify, I totally understand why you pick the i4 over the 3LR. I only wanted to point out that for range/performance the 3LR is a better pick. I will chose the i4 but for me it's the premium build quality and fit&finish, together with a good range and decent performance. Tesla is doing amazing EV R&D, but they are still learning to build a proper car. Some of these "quirks" (like water from the trunk-lid going in the trunk) are just poor design. The fit & finish is just very poor for a car in this price range (for Europe).

Concerning the charger network, that does indeed depend on your location and intended use. Where I live, Tesla still has a advantage, but other chargers are catching up quickly. And yes, I will also charge at home and at the office, so won't need other chargers that often.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Come to think about it, I haven't seen any EV owners load their frunk. It's always been the trunk for bigger items and the passenger area for typical everyday things that fit in the average shopping bag. I guess frunks aren't that important after all.

I have just kept things I like when I travel in there. There is a Bluetooth speaker and some water that I just leave in there and forget but use occasionally. Doesn't need to take up trunk space so that's nice. But yea not a deal breaker.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I doubt that I would be using the frunk (if it was available) in day per day basis,
but for that and many other reasons BMW is taking an F from me for design/utilisation of space in their cars.
(Not to mention that the new iX platform with dimensions X5 to X7 has a smaller trunk than the ...iX3)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Welcome to the forum @M235guy.
What were you trying to say? It doesn't look like the message went through.
BTW, which i4 model and spec are you getting?

·
Registered
BMW 6 series coupe F13, BMW X3 G01
177 Posts
My only practical concern will be if the under the trunk compartment with the HK subwoofer (to me a must have) is sufficient enough to store the cables. From what we are seeing there isn’t much room left and probably the cables cannot all fold into the remaining tight space…

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

I test drove an Etron suv for a couple of days and it was practical to have the cables in the frunk, as they all fit there (it’s a shallow but large compartment) and charging ports are in the front as well.

Let’s see how this turns out but having to have the cables spread on the trunk could be unpleasant…

·
Registered
71 Posts
Some people here might want to reevaluate their opinion:
In fact, Nancy Reppenhagen, global feature process supervisor at Ford, seemingly dissed the clunky two word descriptor when talking about the Lightning earlier this year. “The words ‘front trunk’ don’t even begin to describe all the innovation and capability Ford packed into this high-powered space,” said Reppenhagen. “It will have customers rethinking what their truck is capable of – and enable the kinds of experiences they never would have thought possible before.” 2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E Ditches Front Trunk For 'Drainable Frunk' (fordauthority.com)
If only I knew what "high-powered space" means :unsure:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I cancelled my i4 order mainly due to lack of legroom at the back and bought a 2022 iX3 instead. Still no frunk, but plenty room for one. I already found 2 companies launching aftermarket frunks for the iX3 so most likely there will come a frunk for the i4 also....if there is room for it...

·
Registered
218 Posts
I cancelled my i4 order mainly due to lack of legroom at the back and bought a 2022 iX3 instead. Still no frunk, but plenty room for one. I already found 2 companies launching aftermarket frunks for the iX3 so most likely there will come a frunk for the i4 also....if there is room for it...

Happy to hear that you went with BMW anyway and not the Kia ;)

Regarding frunk, there is no space for a frunk in the M50. Maybe the eDrive have space, but not the M50.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Happy to hear that you went with BMW anyway and not the Kia ;)

Regarding frunk, there is no space for a frunk in the M50. Maybe the eDrive have space, but not the M50.
I evaluated all the EV market in order to make a fair comperasion. The KIA EV6 is not bad nor is the Ionic 5, but it turns out that they are quite bad when it comes to efficiency, especially on the motorway, resulting in a bad range. Also there are now reports of over heating batteries when fastcharging at the 18 minute intervall from 10-80%. I also tested the TESLA Y this sunday. Slippery short seats with a bad sitting position which both I and my wife complained about after just 15 minutes in the car. Quality and feel of a car that should cost 20% less than it does and a ride quality from the suspension which is hard and unsophisticated...so I handed back the keycard to the TESLA dealer and told him that I would go straight to BMW and buy an iX3, which I did. And 30 minutes after testing the Y I ordered an iX3 :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Slippery short seats with a bad sitting position which both I and my wife complained about after just 15 minutes in the car. Quality and feel of a car that should cost 20% less than it does and a ride quality from the suspension which is hard and unsophisticated
Agree on the ride quality (also over time the suspension components become a little klonky). And... as time goes on, you realise how much road noise enters the cabin. It's not suppressed at all. Which is why I'm moving to an M50.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You bought the Facelift (LCI). Surprisingly enough couldn't find reviews for that. Only for the old iX3. Tell us a few things! Owner's staff!
Not much to tell yet :) I tested the 2021 model which drives fantastic, but looks a bite outdated in the design. The new one has the same tech, but all the new interior like the i4 and new exterior. Comes ONLY in Msport versions so looks fantastic! The standard equipment level is extreme compared to the i4...standard adaptive suspension, panoramic roof, driving proffesional etc...all in the baseprice!

A small change on the engine software which reduces the acceleration from 80-120 from 4,5 seconds to just 2,5 seconds, or faster than a Ferrari 812 Superfast (3 seconds)
Same engines as the i4 btw.

This is my configuration from the Danish site: https://configure.bmw.dk/da_DK/conf...IogEsf1NmoPuZs4NANCebtBXbVBDwyWql1GGc7tgP5G2c

21 - 36 of 36 Posts