BMW i4 Forum banner

Does it matter to you that there is no frunk?

• Yes

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 77 78.6%
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
407 Posts
I had a frunk in my Tesla MS. Never used it.
I had a frunk in my Jaguar I-Pace. Never used it.
I have a frunk, small as it is, in my e-Tron. Never use it.

So no, I won't miss it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was at the launch of the iX and i4 in Ireland and during their presentation they said (paraphrasing) that the omission of a frunk was intentional as it’s contents may interfere with the driving dynamics of the car … personally I know it won’t bother me at all

·
928 Posts
I think it would look very weird that, on the parking lot of a big grocery store, you see someone opening the hood of his car and putting the bags with his groceries in there. At first, you would think "oh, that (wo)man has car trouble". And it would be very awkward if you go over there and ask "Can I help you? Doesn't it start anymore?", and then see the bags with the cereal, and burger buns, and vegetables, and...

• Haha
Reactions: PSamy

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had Model-X for sometime and loved the Frunk. I will miss it on i4. It was the first question my son asked after configuring the i4.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I am ordering the e40 msport package.

Yes the front trunk would have been cute to have, but the i4 has a very cute second glove compartment on the door side of the steering wheel that can store wallets and glasses.

In the rear trunk there are two wheel pockets where you can store and access cables in a fully loaded trunk.

For me the loss of space to the HK speaker is also a bit of a wince. Yet taken in proportion the space of the HK speaker and a front trunk would add only 7-8% to the total storage space.

So maybe it is just a matter of neat little spaces that contrast the large overall cargo space.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Someone here said you could actually take it out if you wanted. And since it’s only there to supplement two other bass speakers it might not make such a huge impact if your turn up the bass a bit. Don’t know how easy it is but stuff in cars are usually very pluggable. I’m not concerned about space, but as others say I do back into my spot and with my current 5 series touring I can’t put small things in the trunk because they would just roll around. I almost always use the back seat. In that regard a frunk would be useful, see the Throttle House video about the Lucid Air, looked amazing there. On a Tesla I feel it’s about to break every time I use it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I’m surprised at how many people are worried about a few litres of storage from a frunk or under the boot floor. I realise my needs may be different but I can’t imagine I’ll ever fill the 470 litre boot on the i4 and be left wanting for more space. At the end of the day the i4 is medium sized (gran) coupe, it’s not a car you buy for a family of 5 with a requirement for luggage space for same ..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Our BMW i3 had a frunk, and it was nice place for storing the loading cable, especially as it was a little dirty when lying partly on the ground after usage. Besides that the cable is quite spacious, and the i3 had an relatively small trunk. It is a pitty that the i4 40 does not have a frunk, so we will have to store the cable it in the trunk (however, small space in underside in the truck with the Harman Kardon subwover). The best place would be the left side pocket in the trunk I suppose. However, not so nice when the cable is wet and dirty.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Our BMW i3 had a frunk, and it was nice place for storing the loading cable, especially as it was a little dirty when lying partly on the ground after usage. Besides that the cable is quite spacious, and the i3 had an relatively small trunk. It is a pitty that the i4 40 does not have a frunk, so we will have to store the cable it in the trunk (however, small space in underside in the truck with the Harman Kardon subwover). The best place would be the left side pocket in the trunk I suppose. However, not so nice when the cable is wet and dirty.
I intend to get myself a decent storage case/bag for the cable (I’ve seen some on Amazon), I think this helps with the wet/dirty cable problem and also minimises the space it uses.

·
Registered
25 Posts
During the test drive I saw that the i4 has a bag for the 3,7 kw cable in the left side pocket of the trunk. Hopefully that bag is large enough to hold a 11 kw cable too. The 3,7 kw cable is almost never used (probably only handy during vacation. We will see.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I don't think I'll miss the frunk. The big hype about the frunk is because Tesla came up with it, and Teslapologists (God, I love that term coined by @bobkalka) will scream on top of their lungs that any feature of Tesla that other cars don't have is an absolute requirement in any modern car. At the end of the day, the frunk is just another storage compartment, and having 2 smaller compartments is always less practical than a bigger compartment for the same capacity. Now I would agree that the i4 does not have the biggest capacity storage of all sedans, nor does it have the most rear seat room, but if it is adequate for me, I'd rather focus on the interior quality, the comfort and the handling.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I don't think I'll miss the frunk. The big hype about the frunk is because Tesla came up with it, and Teslapologists (God, I love that term coined by @bobkalka) will scream on top of their lungs that any feature of Tesla that other cars don't have is an absolute requirement in any modern car. At the end of the day, the frunk is just another storage compartment, and having 2 smaller compartments is always less practical than a bigger compartment for the same capacity. Now I would agree that the i4 does not have the biggest capacity storage of all sedans, nor does it have the most rear seat room, but if it is adequate for me, I'd rather focus on the interior quality, the comfort and the handling.
I agree. I chose this car because of the beauty and the quality of the construction that is to be expected from BMW.

The inside of a Tesla reminds me of an old-fashioned phone booth with a giant ipad inside.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I agree. I chose this car because of the beauty and the quality of the construction that is to be expected from BMW.

The inside of a Tesla reminds me of an old-fashioned phone booth with a giant ipad inside.
Don't get me started on the giant iPad. I have been so frustrated with ICE cars replacing their perfectly good integrated console with a screen sticking up to emulate the "iPad look", I find it so out of place and downright ugly. And Tesla chose to do it and get rid of everything else.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
407 Posts
Yup, when I had my Tesla you'd see that kind of thing all the time. But to be fair, I see this thinking on most car forums (actually any forum dealing with equipment like audio, video etc.). So the general pattern on these forums is if the car/equipment in question doesn't have a feature that other cars/equipment have, 'it's not really needed'. If it does have the feature, it's the most brilliant thing they've ever seen. We're probably all guilty of this kind of rationalization to some degree. I even see this on the Lucid forums.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yup, when I had my Tesla you'd see that kind of thing all the time. But to be fair, I see this thinking on most car forums (actually any forum dealing with equipment like audio, video etc.). So the general pattern on these forums is if the car/equipment in question doesn't have a feature that other cars/equipment have, 'it's not really needed'. If it does have the feature, it's the most brilliant thing they've ever seen. We're probably all guilty of this kind of rationalization to some degree. I even see this on the Lucid forums.
Clearly, if any of us thought it was needed we would not have ordered the i4 and would not be here.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Ok, where is my cat? Not in the car, not in the trunk, not in the compartment below the trunk, oh, maybe in the frunk? Life used to be simple! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
I4M50
155 Posts
I have never complained about not having a frunk in my ICE or plug-in hybrid cars so why would I now? Is there a need of more small spaces now? No.

Because Tesla uses it as USP? Same goes with the flat floor for the third passenger in the rear that never sits there? ;)

Opening the frunk is a mess and often dirty job (especially during winter season) and I am happy to avoid it.

If I need a roomy family car I don’t buy a coupé, I choose the 3- or 5-series real estate or the iX.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts