BMW i4 Forum banner

Does it matter to you that there is no frunk?

• Yes

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 77 78.6%
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

Registered
If you look at the trunk of a 330e touring, there is no way that could be a family car.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed, that the i4 could be a compact family car 馃榿

Registered
I4M50
If you look at the trunk of a 330e touring, there is no way that could be a family car.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed, that the i4 could be a compact family car 馃榿
Families are not all the same size. Mine is smaller now than five years ago since I live alone with my son. So for me, my current 225XE is more than enough when travelling to ski resorts or packing for overnighting boat weekends, golf bags and trolleys, kite equipment etc - I have used it for house projects to pack loads of ie cement and granite tiles as well :)

I believe the 3-series touring would be ok for my small family, as well as somewhat larger families.

The I4 will not be as practical. In theory the I4 has more space and it will probably be ok for practical use. I have for many years (since I started use company cars) missed driving a fast and good looking car with sporty handling and serious acceleration. Such a relief and good compromise I have found in the I4.

Registered
I must admit, I was looking at the 330 trunk with strollers in my mind. The space just seemed way too short for that purpose. And if you have to put them sideways, there is no room left for anything else.
With strollers, I believe (hope) the I4 will be better, due to longer space in the trunk. Actually I didn't check the numbers. A 4 GC trunk just seemed a lot longer.

I used to have a Vectra GTS once, which has similar liftback trunk. I remember it being very practical body style.

I also chose the I4 because I miss a proper driving experience. I refuse to admit that a Citroen Berlingo would actually be much better suited for our needs, and really want to make the I4 work as a family car.
Time will tell, if I need to buy a cheap Berlingo as well 馃榿

Registered
No frunk is fine, but why the tall hood? They can easily make the hood shorter (either in height or in length), especially in the rear wheel drive model. It feels wrong to have a hollow hood for no reason.

Registered
No frunk is fine, but why the tall hood? They can easily make the hood shorter (either in height or in length), especially in the rear wheel drive model. It feels wrong to have a hollow hood for no reason.
If they had two different bodies for the versions that would raise the cost of each. Plus the wheelbase would shorten, impacting the handling, as well as the aerodynamics.

Shorten the hood and it will look like an i3.

Registered
If they had two different bodies for the versions that would raise the cost of each. Plus the wheelbase would shorten, impacting the handling, as well as the aerodynamics.

Shorten the hood and it will look like an i3.
They can easily lower the hood for more visibility. There is definitely a lot of empty space in the hood for both versions.

A lot of cars with small hood drive great, such as the porsche 911 or taycan. Don't bullshit me with handling and aerodynamics.

Registered
They can easily lower the hood for more visibility. There is definitely a lot of empty space in the hood for both versions.

A lot of cars with small hood drive great, such as the porsche 911 or taycan. Don't bullshit me with handling and aerodynamics.
They could design the whole body twice and do all those things, but that would raise the cost a lot.

Registered

You are completely missing the cost of doing something different than the ICE cars.

Any change in body panel would increase cost.
The Taycan and others are bespoke BEV platforms. The 3/4 platform was designed to be ICE, BEV and hybrid.

The compromise is that body panels don't change between them.

Sent from my LE2125 using Tapatalk

Registered
2014 BMW 435i Gran Coupe
With strollers, I believe (hope) the I4 will be better, due to longer space in the trunk. Actually I didn't check the numbers. A 4 GC trunk just seemed a lot longer.
I've had cars with liftbacks for the last 10 years; Audi A5 Sportback, BMW 420d Gran Coupe and 435i Gran Coupe. I love the shape; sporty and practical. I've used the space to move stuff when renovating my house and I've used the space to store lots of luggage, food and baby gear when going on holidays. My son just started playing field hockey and I guess I'll be using the space to drive his team mates to matches later on.

Maybe the frunk would add a few liters of cargo space, but I find a liftback with the ability to lower the rear seats to be very practical.

Registered
And yet we have the 4 series having multiple different ICE body styles (coup, gran coup, convertible), each with multiple different body panels. How costly are those?
But each variation was already planned. So to share a body with an existing model does not mean more stampings.

BMW has always made those variations.
If you are talking about a different nose with more slope; it's new fenders, liners, hood, front end reinforcement, headlights....... More crash testing....

BMW is going for economy of scale.

Registered
But each variation was already planned. So to share a body with an existing model does not mean more stampings.

BMW has always made those variations.
If you are talking about a different nose with more slope; it's new fenders, liners, hood, front end reinforcement, headlights....... More crash testing....

BMW is going for economy of scale.

BMW has 4 body styles on the 3/4 series platform, each of them incurring the costs you mentioned (crash testing, headlights, etc). Your logic simply doesn't make sense. Sorry.

Registered
And yet we have the 4 series having multiple different ICE body styles (coup, gran coup, convertible), each with multiple different body panels. How costly are those?
And yet they all use the same platform, which needs to house a strong combustion engine all the way up to a m4 competition!!
Btw I love the long nose of the i4. Makes it good looking鈥 hate the low and short hanging nose of the model 3. Now wonder model s doesn鈥檛 have that in common!!

Registered
And yet they all use the same platform, which needs to house a strong combustion engine all the way up to a m4 competition!!
Btw I love the long nose of the i4. Makes it good looking鈥 hate the low and short hanging nose of the model 3. Now wonder model s doesn鈥檛 have that in common!!
Let me guess, you also hate the 911 and the taycan? To each his own, I guess.

Registered
Let me guess u don鈥檛 know the actual length of those cars and their wheelbase.
Not sure how that's relevant, but I looked it up for you:
i4Taycan
Wheelbase112.4鈥114.2鈥
Length189鈥195鈥
Width73鈥78鈥
Height57鈥54-55鈥

Almost exactly the same wheelbase. Kinda weird that the i4 is a bit taller.

Registered
Not sure how that's relevant, but I looked it up for you:
i4Taycan
Wheelbase112.4鈥114.2鈥
Length189鈥195鈥
Width73鈥78鈥
Height57鈥54-55鈥

Almost exactly the same wheelbase. Kinda weird that the i4 is a bit taller.
That should explain it for you. Front is almost the same length but i4 is higher since it is based on a shared platform (but almost identical cargo space). If u want to have the same cabin height as the combustion version 4 series and accommodate a big battery you have to make some sacrifices => raise the chassis. And that鈥檚 about it! If u want to lower the front bmw has to design a complete different structure etc to accommodate the wheel arches and integrate it to the overall chassis design!
Edit:
Just to be clear, I don鈥檛 care about a short front by itself. But it needs to fit into the overall chassis design. In case of the Taycan it fits, but on the model 3 with its high cabin and tall windshield, it looks horrible!!

61 - 80 of 90 Posts