BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40 MSport TBII
3,202 Posts
That's a question for an electrician. The two plugs don't have the same number of prongs, which doesn't make it impossible, but why plug an adapter into an adapter if you don't need to? Just sounds like a bad idea, even if the non-BMW thing is cheaper.

Holy $#!+!!! $213 for a few inches of cable with plug ends? Now I understand why you're asking.

Why not change the outlet in question to a 14-50?

• Helpful
Reactions: gsbaker

· Registered
3,202 Posts
I have a replacement 14-50 outlet but it kinda feels dirty not using a neutral wire and the cost to run a new line to my garage would be more than the $208 adapter even if I do the work myself, which I have done in the past. I just don’t see why it would need a neutral wire in the first place. I bought an adapter for $24. I’ll let you know if I burn down my house, or maybe I won’t (Doh!).
Some quick reading…
Seems like the ground on a 3-prong plug performs as both neutral and ground?

· Registered
3,202 Posts
I agree with everything you said. And its the idea of movement that worries me the most.

What adapter are they using though? I googled jungle book Nema 6-50 adapter and I'm clearly not finding it.
BMW is selling a bespoke cable. One end goes into proprietary outlet on the Flexible Fast Charger, the other end into the 240 outlet. It replaces the stock cable, not as an addition to it.

1 - 3 of 16 Posts