BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching a Carwow video about the new M8 and the reviewer commented how good the Android auto worked. Can we expect the same with the i4?

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
For 2, 3 weeks my brother now drives the new BMW X3 xDrive30e. Yesterday we tested the SMS function on Android Auto. He was in his car, and I was at home. We sent maybe 25 SMS messages to each other. He never had to touch his phone while I had to type everything (using a BT-connected keyboard. It works wonderful, he said afterward, even in Dutch.
The first word you say is very important because that word will probably define the language corrections. It worked very well in Dutch, English, French, German, and Italian.

Reactions: Inside

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For 2, 3 weeks my brother now drives the new BMW X3 xDrive30e. Yesterday we tested the SMS function on Android Auto. He was in his car, and I was at home. We sent maybe 25 SMS messages to each other. He never had to touch his phone while I had to type everything (using a BT-connected keyboard. It works wonderful, he said afterward, even in Dutch.
The first word you say is very important because that word will probably define the language corrections. It worked very well in Dutch, English, French, German, and Italian.
Thanks for taking the time JST1963. I didn't want to have to learn Apple OS on top of a new high tech car so nice to know I'll be fine sticking with Android.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I thought perhaps because it might be a difference between one of their top end cars vs a mid range car...more feature for the top end car.
Android Auto features are developed and maintained by Google., As long as the car supports latest Android Auto, it will have all the features available. This is irrespective of low end or high end cars. The features and interface will be very similar between Kia and BMW since its not developed by the car manufacturers. What could vary between 'low end' and 'high end' is whether wireless 'Android Auto' is supported or not. Low end cars might still need cable to connect to the phone to use 'Android Auto'.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for taking the time JST1963. I didn't want to have to learn Apple OS on top of a new high tech car so nice to know I'll be fine sticking with Android.
It will be based on your phone operating system. If have 'Apple' it will be car play and if you have 'Android phones' it will use 'Android Auto'. There is no built in Apple OS or Android Auto in BMW iDrive yet. There are manufacturers such as 'Polestar' / 'Volvo' offering stock Android Auto as base OS, however they will still support 'Iphones' with Car play.

·
Registered
Kona EV, 335i convertible, K1600b mc
434 Posts
Cool, that AA shows up in the hud and the forward dash screen layout.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts