BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our primary reason for buying our i4 is to have an environmentally sustainable vehicle that's also a great car so we're feeling pretty good about our choice.The thought has come to mind, given the design of the motor that doesn't use rare earth metals, the factory tries to use 100% renewable power, the interior uses a number of recycled materials and that this is a small sedan with the very latest tech that maybe this will be rated as the most environmentally sustainable vehicle. That'd be nice to help quiet the Tesla folk that are endlessly questioning our choice on a local EV forum I like to post on.

Given that BMW already occupies two of the spots in the top five most sustainable vehicles....

...I'm hopeful that the i4 will be there too and hopefully at the very top spot. Is this possible or has some other vehicle already beat that for 2022?

·
1,028 Posts
Funny, I had the opposite thought: I buy 2 tons of car because I gave up on the environment.
We discussed it on this forum: the I4 is not environmentally friendly or sustainable, it just avoids CO2 emissions into the atmosphere.

The most ecological car of 2022 is the one you don't buy! Or else: the smallest and least equipped car on the market

By ordering the i4 you have taken ~10 years of ecological debts, you'd better not consume anything else to make up for it!

Last point: there are several i4s, the least harmful for the planet is the eDrive40 with 0 options, which you will keep for at least 150'000km (this is the duration considered in the BMW ecological footprint reports). But you took an M50.

·
Registered
i4 eDrive 40 M Sport - Portimao Blue
32 Posts
I'd have to slightly disagree with that. 100% yes, if a significant portion of the population decided they needed new cars (or pretty much any product) less often, we'd make much more progress towards reducing a carbon footprint. But realistically, people are buying cars. The current supply chain shortage is likely going to impact the used car market for a few more years. Even if we lease an electric car, or sell it within a few years, with the vastly decreased supply this year of new cars, there will still be a large demand for out-of-lease cars in three years compared to the supply.

People are going to buy new cars whether its needed or not, and some of those people will want luxury or sporty features. So the best course of action is to get people who are shopping for new cars to buy electric counterparts of cars they're already considering. Not to mention, electric cars should be designed to last to at least 150,000 km, which the i4 is yet to prove itself of, but I really hope it does for every one on this forum ahaha.

But that's also just the two-cents of someone who is buying electric for reasons far more selfish than saving the environment haha.

·
Registered
i4 M50 19" 861M Sanremo green
1,567 Posts
Funny, I had the opposite thought: I buy 2 tons of car because I gave up on the environment.
We discussed it on this forum: the I4 is not environmentally friendly or sustainable, it just avoids CO2 emissions into the atmosphere.

The most ecological car of 2022 is the one you don't buy! Or else: the smallest and least equipped car on the market

By ordering the i4 you have taken ~10 years of ecological debts, you'd better not consume anything else to make up for it!

Last point: there are several i4s, the least harmful for the planet is the eDrive40 with 0 options, which you will keep for at least 150'000km (this is the duration considered in the BMW ecological footprint reports). But you took an M50.
Ok, the most ecological vehicle is my trusty bicycle (15 lbs with all the fluids - it even has cable brakes, so the only fluids are actually the chain and mechanicals lube). So how much riding would counterbalance the purchase of an i4 M50? ;)
This being said, I need a car, so buying an i4 M50 is a whole lot better than an F150 or a Toyota Tundra doing 15 miles per gallon of fossil fuel on a good day with the wind in the back. Living in Texas, it does not take a whole lot to do better than your neighbor...

·
Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
1,891 Posts
And to dismissively suggest the i4 ‘just avoids CO2 emissions into the atmosphere’ is being a bit disingenuous IMO. That’s not a small thing.

·
Registered
i4 e40 msport 19" 859M Sunset Orange, cognac vernasca, open pore oak trim
1,828 Posts
I am buying electric and bmw for driving pleasure, not to save the world.

Incidentally in western North Carolina the electricity is 100% renewable (90% nuclear and 10% hydro).

I tend to keep my cars many years, so maybe my footprint will not be too black.

·
1,028 Posts

Incidentally in western North Carolina the electricity is 100% renewable (90% nuclear and 10% hydro).

same for me
one reserve: nuclear energy is not renewable, it is decarbonized

·
Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
1,891 Posts

I'm doing the same. I'm not a tree hugger, but having driven 3 electric cars prior, there's no going back to ICE from the sheer standpoint of driving pleasure.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
"Saving the world" is a big phrase. The way I see it, if each of us does a little bit to nudge the human race behavior in the right direction, the sum total of our actions will be a big deal. So of course, buying an EV creates a big carbon footprint because an EV has to be built, but if the alternative is to buy an ICE car, it would be a lot worse. We should not, as a race, all rush out to buy EVs, because that would be catastrophic for the environment, but when comes time to replace a car, we should get an EV instead of an ICE car, and over time, this will change the emissions landscape. Of course, I'm choosing the car that fits me the best, and I actually like the direction BMW is saying they are going, with their circular strategy, in the absence of hard data comparing the behaviors of the companies...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm...none of this answers my question. Will the i4 be in the list of the most sustainable cars or perhaps even at the top? Just where did me saving the world come into this?

Yes, of course, owning a car at all isn't at all good for the environment but it's a far better choice than buying an ICE car and almost all the evidence points to it's better to have a new EV than to drive your old ICE vehicle into the ground. I'm not going to attach a bunch of links because people can research and do that themselves (and perhaps come to different conclusions)...that said, this wasn't the debate I was looking for or the question I asked.

·
1,028 Posts
Hmmm...none of this answers my question. Will the i4 be in the list of the most sustainable cars or perhaps even at the top? Just where did me saving the world come into this?

Yes, of course, owning a car at all isn't at all good for the environment but it's a far better choice than buying an ICE car and almost all the evidence points to it's better to have a new EV than to drive your old ICE vehicle into the ground. I'm not going to attach a bunch of links because people can research and do that themselves (and perhaps come to different conclusions)...that said, this wasn't the debate I was looking for or the question I asked.
who makes this list?

·
Registered
323 Posts

Yikes!...not the question I was asking. I will try harder to feel -------- about my decision.

Edit Mod: Bad language

·
Registered
i4 e40 msport 19" 859M Sunset Orange, cognac vernasca, open pore oak trim
1,828 Posts
Yikes!...not the question I was asking. I will try harder to feel -------- about my decision.
I guess your question was whether the I4 will be recognized by the greencars blog as one of the most sustainable.

I read a long article by BMW on their sustainability plans and they are quite impressive, including recycling lithium batteries for storage in the electrical grid.

I think they will top any list.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts

To that specific question, I doubt the i4 would be near the top since it's based on the 4-series architecture, with all the baggage to support ICE and electric. Intuitively, the electric-from-the-ground-up are probably nearer to the ideal, but BMW did make mention efforts to be sustainable - but then again, there is so little data to compare, say, rare-earth (elements that are not that rare, by the way) permanent magnet vs. copper coils etc... Probably one of the most basic measurements, just the sheer mass of the thing, might be the best we have, and the i4 is not very high on that scale either for the same shared platform reason. The "from the ground up" argument is also not so strong, considering that the iX is actually heavier than the i4, and carbon (actually CRP) is actually more difficult to recycle than Aluminum or Steel.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To that specific question, I doubt the i4 would be near the top since it's based on the 4-series architecture, with all the baggage to support ICE and electric. Intuitively, the electric-from-the-ground-up are probably nearer to the ideal, but BMW did make mention efforts to be sustainable - but then again, there is so little data to compare, say, rare-earth (elements that are not that rare, by the way) permanent magnet vs. copper coils etc... Probably one of the most basic measurements, just the sheer mass of the thing, might be the best we have, and the i4 is not very high on that scale either for the same shared platform reason. The "from the ground up" argument is also not so strong, considering that the iX is actually heavier than the i4, and carbon (actually CRP) is actually more difficult to recycle than Aluminum or Steel.
Thanks MinhSATx...I appreciate your thoughts on this. There are things here I hadn't thought about.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.