Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Michelin X-Ice Winter 18”

Votes: 9 13.2%
1 - 20 of 180 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have others done?

Considering 17-18'' black rims with winter tyres, but haven't decided nor heard of good deals from BMW dealers. Would you go for BMW branded rims or just the best deal out there?

SSR: Worth it?

· Registered
2023 i4 M50 w/ DAPP PAP
11 Posts
I got my i4 M50 with 19" wheels and Summer Performance Hankook Ventus S1 EV3 tires, they handle very well and are surprisingly quite. From reading around and calling Hankook I was informed that these tires are not rated for temperatures below 40F/4C, seems they get plasticky, brittle and handle like skates on a rink! A chance I'm not keen on taking, so I will be swapping mine out and putting them back on next summer.
Based on local stock and reviews on tire rack, I'm going to get the Good Year Eagle AS, instead of the Pirelli P Zero AS. I didn't consider my favorite ICE tire, the Continental DWS 06 as they are not EV rated or BMW star rated.
What are you doing with your? Share in the poll!

· Registered
34 Posts
Went with 18” Michelin x ice on dedicated rims bought from tire rack. Now I just need my car to show up which is currently at port in bremerhaven

· Registered
124 Posts
It all depends on where you live !
I'm defintely getting winter tires (anyway it's legislation in certain regions in France). Looking for a decent deal, but the Goodyear UltraGrip Performance + are top of the list.

· Registered
224 Posts
If and when I ever get my car, in the winter, I'll swap out the 20'' performance wheels and tires with whatever 19'' winter wheels and tires the dealer can get me

· Registered
281 Posts
Went with 18” Michelin x ice on dedicated rims bought from tire rack. Now I just need my car to show up which is currently at port in bremerhaven
Mind if I ask which rims you went with? I'll probably be doing the same thing with TireRack. thanks!

· Registered
156 Posts
My my23 M50 is riding on 19" perf wheels. I want an 18" square set up for winter. Right now, Tire Rack does not have this set up in their package listing for 23s, only 22s. Has anyone with a '23 M50 sorted this out?

· Registered
281 Posts
I noticed that as well. I’m guessing, just like us, they haven’t gotten their hands on any MY23s yet to verify no changes so they’re not sticking their necks out yet and saying 22 sizes for 23. Again, just a guess.

· Registered
156 Posts
Mind if I ask which rims you went with? I'll probably be doing the same thing with TireRack. thanks!
I see you have a '23 M50. Did you order the '22 package? It looks like TR does not yet have a package for the '23s. Were you able to get a square set up or did you order a staggered set up?

Reactions: takrdown

· Administrator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
7,888 Posts
Reactions: smatanovic

· Registered
114 Posts
This thread made me realize that I need to get winter tires - I'm not used to doing this coming from SUV world, but with the rear-wheel drive of the eDrive40 it sounds like it would be prudent to get winter tires or it will be hard to risk driving around with a chance of snow or ice!

I'm used to looking at Tire rack - however with the M Sport brake package, it isn't listing any compatible tire packages. There are plenty listed with the standard brakes. I was going to go from the 19" OEM summer tires to 18" winter tires all around.

Any ideas what specs I should look for? From what I've read on other pre-made packages for the i4 - it seems like 225/50 18" should work, but it's not clear to me if these will allow room for the M Sport brakes. The shopbmwusa.com package shows 245/40 19" tires and in the image it shows the M Sport brakes, so I'm wondering if the 19" tires are required for M Sport packages.

· Registered
202 Posts
This thread made me realize that I need to get winter tires - I'm not used to doing this coming from SUV world, but with the rear-wheel drive of the eDrive40 it sounds like it would be prudent to get winter tires or it will be hard to risk driving around with a chance of snow or ice!

I'm used to looking at Tire rack - however with the M Sport brake package, it isn't listing any compatible tire packages. There are plenty listed with the standard brakes. I was going to go from the 19" OEM summer tires to 18" winter tires all around.

Any ideas what specs I should look for? From what I've read on other pre-made packages for the i4 - it seems like 225/50 18" should work, but it's not clear to me if these will allow room for the M Sport brakes. The shopbmwusa.com package shows 245/40 19" tires and in the image it shows the M Sport brakes, so I'm wondering if the 19" tires are required for M Sport packages.
tirerack still doesn’t have a winter package for the eDrive40 with MSport brakes.

· Registered
34 Posts
I see you have a '23 M50. Did you order the '22 package? It looks like TR does not yet have a package for the '23s. Were you able to get a square set up or did you order a staggered set up?
I just put in my car being a '22. I fairly confident nothing changed between model years. Let's hope I'm right. I will find out for sure when I get the car as I have a deal worked out with the dealer to do the first switch out. I went with a square setup.

Reactions: ssh

· Registered
1,173 Posts
Went with 18" Michelin X-Ice on TSW Pescara.

Reactions: ssh
1 - 20 of 180 Posts