BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I put down the deposit and reserved an i4. I live in Canada, and I don’t intend to drive the i4 in the winter, so a few months in the garage at around 0 C.

I did the same thing with my chevy volt for a few winters. I didn’t disconnect the 12v battery, but I kept the big battery at 50% and I would start and run the car for an hour every two weeks to keep the small battery charged.

I asked the BMW salesperson what I need to do if I leave the i4 in the garage for 3 to 4 months. She told me I didn’t need to do anything, just leave the car plugged. I doubt she is correct….

opinion?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think you're safe with either approach... could also put a maintainer on the 12V (assuming its easily accessible).

·
Registered
248 Posts
So I put down the deposit and reserved an i4. I live in Canada, and I don’t intend to drive the i4 in the winter, so a few months in the garage at around 0 C.

I did the same thing with my chevy volt for a few winters. I didn’t disconnect the 12v battery, but I kept the big battery at 50% and I would start and run the car for an hour every two weeks to keep the small battery charged.

I asked the BMW salesperson what I need to do if I leave the i4 in the garage for 3 to 4 months. She told me I didn’t need to do anything, just leave the car plugged. I doubt she is correct….

opinion?
Welcome to the forum @ShutterHappy! I don't think it should be an issue either way. I'd probably do the same thing as you did for your Volt just for piece of mind. Keeping the battery at 50% will be easy too with the app which is always handy.

Which i4 trim are you looking to get?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum @ShutterHappy! I don't think it should be an issue either way. I'd probably do the same thing as you did for your Volt just for piece of mind. Keeping the battery at 50% will be easy too with the app which is always handy.

Which i4 trim are you looking to get?
Just the basic model, maybe with premium enhanced or premium essential package. I have never owned a BMW, and I don’t know what to expect when comes the time to buy the vehicle at the dealership…

i usually keep my cars 10 years and I like to avoid going to the dealership as much as possible. I hope the i4 will require little maintenance and will last 10 years. BMW has a reputation for being expensive to maintain… For the volt, I change oil every two years, and the brakes when needed, that’s about it :)

I have sent an email to Transport Canada about federal rebates for electric cars. They told me BMW Canada have not applied yet for the i4.

this car will be fun to drive, I can’t wait!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great post, I was wondering the same. Ended up going for the M50 for AWD winter driving fun! And re: the rebate, from what I hear the i4 will not be eligible... not sure why.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great post, I was wondering the same. Ended up going for the M50 for AWD winter driving fun! And re: the rebate, from what I hear the i4 will not be eligible... not sure why.
I just worry about abrasives, salt calcium etc… ugh… I figure I can let the old volt eat the salt. I’m also teaching my son to drive, so not on the i4 hehe.

I told the dealership that if delivery is in the middle of winter, I would rather wait for March. That seemed to confused them… I guess no-one ever asked for s delayed delivery!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just worry about abrasives, salt calcium etc… ugh… I figure I can let the old volt eat the salt. I’m also teaching my son to drive, so not on the i4 hehe.

I told the dealership that if delivery is in the middle of winter, I would rather wait for March. That seemed to confused them… I guess no-one ever asked for s delayed delivery!
Yeah if you can use a winter beater I dont blame you, your BMW will last much longer.

I doubt we get our cars before March in Canada... I hope not, like you, i want to get delivery in spring/summer!!!

·
Registered
MB GLA
30 Posts
Federal rebate in Canada is for PDF cost lower than CAN$45000 so that's why it is not eligible :confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts