Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two winter wheel sets are now available in the (dutch) configurator:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Unfortunately the configurator does not allow to see them on your car. So here is some photoshopping :)

19" sommer set:

18" winter set:

·
Registered
92 Posts
The winter wheels on offer are not the ones on the model. I think the aero wheel that's on the car looks a lot better than the winter wheel.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think I misunderstood Hans’ post, that he was trying to show the alternative winter wheel on the first lower picture, it kind of looks like the winter wheel in the first post.

I don’t think any of these wheels are especially cool, but I guess I’d pick the black one

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I misunderstood Hans’ post
I guess my post was not quite clear.
The first photo is my configuration of the i4 with the 19" 816M sommer wheel set.
The second photo has been photoshopped with the 18" 853 winter set.

I leave it to someone more skilled than me to photoshop the other winter set.

Interesting to notice that the 18" 858M bicolor winterset is supposably aerodynamic, where the 853's aren't. I am curious to know what the effect on range will be.

I like the black winterset and am tempted. Not much need for winter tyres in the Netherlands, but they are more or less obliged when visiting neighbour country Germany. I'll convince my wife we really need to go christmas shopping in Düsseldorf next year :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
How much are they in the Netherlands? Up here we use them pretty much 4-5 months a year.
As you can see in the first post approximately 2300-2400 euro's for the 4 rims with tyres. For that amount you will of course also get an new pair of tires which you will need one day anyway. Not cheap therefore but probably ok-ish.

The climate really has changed and we do no longer have very cold winters. My wife is from Montreal Canada and winters are really very different over there. Here in the Netherlands nowadays it is rare to have temperatures below minus 5 degrees Celcius, but we may have a couple of days of snow every winter. It never stays long, normally no longer than 4 or 5 days in a row. Chances are this may happen somewhere between December en March, maybe even April. So just to be prepared we would change to winter tyres mid or end of November and change back to summer tires by the end of March or beginning of April. But the days that you really need them can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

So the last couple of years I never changed my summer tyres. And never regretted it.
The only really good reason for us would be if you need to travel into Germany on a regular basis as winter tyres are obliged there.

Still many dutch drivers do change to winter tyres. Just as a precaution or because their lease company tells them so. I am a private owner and have a choice. Not decided yet.

The winter tyres that BMW will mount are Goodyear Ultragrip Performance+ in the size 245/45 R18. The basic 18 inch summer wheels come in 245/45 at the front and 255/45 at the rear. The winter set is therefore less wide at the rear which may compensate a bit for the lower range in cold circumstances.

Somehow I am not able to find tyre sizes for the 19 inch summer wheels. Does anyone know?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts