BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a new member and this is my first post so I hope I'm asking this in the correct area. Can one have the phone on the wireless charger and still have it connect to Apple CarPlay so that other Apps work?

·
Registered
BMW's i4 M50, 640 F13, X3 G01
389 Posts
I don’t see in the user manual any such limitation. In fact in p73, putting the phone in the wireless charging tray improves phone connection quality, so it should be a zone with better signal quality.

·
Registered
2023 M50 Tanzanite Blue, black vernasca, HUD, DAP
68 Posts
The owners manual says the maximum phone size in the charging tray is 154.5 x 8.0, but my iPhone 12 Pro Max is 164 x 8.0 . Is the owners manual wrong or will my iPhone not fit? My phone fits in our 2021 X3.

Has anyone looked at the actual tray size in the demo vehicles?

Thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
The owners manual says the maximum phone size in the charging tray is 154.5 x 8.0, but my iPhone 12 Pro Max is 164 x 8.0 . Is the owners manual wrong or will my iPhone not fit? My phone fits in our 2021 X3.

Has anyone looked at the actual tray size in the demo vehicles?

Thanks
Yes, carwow showed the charging tray with his (or his technician's?) phone in it.

His phone is reportedly a Galaxy Fold with has length 160.9mm. From the looks of the video above there should be some space left. I can't really see the depth of the cradle though...

·
Registered
335i convertible, BMW K1600b mc
1,576 Posts
Yes, carwow showed the charging tray with his (or his technician's?) phone in it.

His phone is reportedly a Galaxy Fold with has length 160.9mm. From the looks of the video above there should be some space left. I can't really see the depth of the cradle though...
Well that will be perfect as I have a galaxy fold 2.
Edit: looking at the video, the fold might fit in there but I'll be surprised if it will actually charge. No biggie though as the i4 has wireless Android auto and I'm good with that.

·
Registered
2022 BMW i4 e40 Brooklyn Grey
195 Posts
i'm so happy i skipped max version and went for standard 13pro :D (sorry for offtopic guys)

·
Registered
286 Posts
From the pic, it looks like it doesn't sit flush in there.
I also have a case on mine and with my at home wireless charger , I have to take the case off to charge it.
Good point, I hope I will have the car before I need to decide on the phone. I would only get back covers though.

i'm so happy i skipped max version and went for standard 13pro :D (sorry for offtopic guys)
The older I get, the bigger get the phones.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 435i Gran Coupe
103 Posts
A few weeks ago I sat in a new 4 series coupe (G22) at the dealership. My iPhone 11 Pro Max (with Apple’s transparent case) did fit the wireless charging tray despite it being 158mm and the tray officially only supporting phones up to 154mm according to the manual (2021 BMW 4 Series Coupe – Owner's Manual – 392 Pages – PDF).

I would expect the tray to have the same size in the G26, but I’ll hold off upgrading to a newer phone until I’ve had a chance to try in a proper i4.

Maybe the problem with bigger phones is that they can’t be cooled, even if they fit?

Reactions: rangerek

·
Registered
174 Posts
A few weeks ago I sat in a new 4 series coupe (G22) at the dealership. My iPhone 11 Pro Max (with Apple’s transparent case) did fit the wireless charging tray despite it being 158mm and the tray officially only supporting phones up to 154mm according to the manual (2021 BMW 4 Series Coupe – Owner's Manual – 392 Pages – PDF).

I would expect the tray to have the same size in the G26, but I’ll hold off upgrading to a newer phone until I’ve had a chance to try in a proper i4.

Maybe the problem with bigger phones is that they can’t be cooled, even if they fit?
Let’s hope!!!! Thank you, @Vincent. Let me know if you find anything further on your front, which will be earlier than here in USA! Appreciate it.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 435i Gran Coupe
103 Posts
Sure. I’ll post an update when I’ve had a chance to sit in the i4!

Come to think about it, I wonder if I really need the wireless charging tray. I charge my phone every night (wirelessly to reduce wear on the lightning connector) and it always lasts a full day. The only time I might need to recharge during the day is on a long road trip, in which case I’d have my regular charger and the cable with me.

I do hope my iPhone 11 Pro Max fits the space in general, as that seems to be where you need to put the phone to start the car with Digital Key (the Non Plus version). And also because it’s a good place to store it. It has already gotten too big for the cup holders in my F36.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sure. I’ll post an update when I’ve had a chance to sit in the i4!

Come to think about it, I wonder if I really need the wireless charging tray. I charge my phone every night (wirelessly to reduce wear on the lightning connector) and it always lasts a full day. The only time I might need to recharge during the day is on a long road trip, in which case I’d have my regular charger and the cable with me.

I do hope my iPhone 11 Pro Max fits the space in general, as that seems to be where you need to put the phone to start the car with Digital Key (the Non Plus version). And also because it’s a good place to store it. It has already gotten too big for the cup holders in my F36.
Yeah, that last paragraph is the concern for me. I do the same charging it overnight, but if it’s critical for Digital Key, then I’d like to know that it fits. We’re on the same page there, including a great storage spot!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.