BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
That's not a production car, though. Software alone will determine if this car drifts or not. We need an actual owner to let us know.

·
Registered
i4 M50 19" 861 M Brooklyn Grey
52 Posts
Yes and even with this small amount of horespower ( i4 40 ) :) Joke

So I bet @TonioRoffo our m50's will definitely drift ( perhaps we can do a session together at @cronxs parking ) :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
RWD instant torque with DSC and TC turned off will make it drift.
I'm not getting the RWD version, though. I'm getting the M50. Also, many other electric cars limit the torque at low RPMs to prevent wheelspin and/or save the drivetrain. If I turn traction control off on my Model Y, I get the same small amount of torque from 0 rpm.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Heh. In snow, a front wheen drive car can drift! Often inadvertently. Not kidding, this could kill it for me. I don't want another sleepy EV. I want balls out mad.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Heh. In snow, a front wheen drive car can drift! Often inadvertently. Not kidding, this could kill it for me. I don't want another sleepy EV. I want balls out mad.
I'm confident the M50 will drive "balls out" just fine. It's gonna be a looooong wait!

·
Registered
494 Posts
They are having fun in Norway at the moment (edit: sorry just saw it was already posted earlier)

Sky Car Vehicle Tire Automotive tire

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Sky

Land vehicle Wheel Ice racing Vehicle Car

Car Ice racing Vehicle Tire Snow

·
i4 M50 18" 858 M San Remo Green
955 Posts
Hmmm...I have limited knowledge about this, but I'm not really sure "it" will drift.
The i40? Yes, RWD, it will drift.
The M50? No, so sure...I haven't seen any footage yet of the M50 drifting. The latest clip with Charlie Martin on the Salzburgring circuit did show us some drifting, but on a wet circuit.
I'm not convinced the M50, due to the AWD, will drift on a dry surface. Maybe by flooring it on a parking lot with lots of space, but not controlled drifting through a corner...
My 2c

·
i4 M50 18" 858 M San Remo Green
955 Posts
I just can't wait till Mat Watson challenges the i4 with some other cars (Tesla, RS3, Porsche, M3/M4/M5...)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
In this video meant to showcase the capabilities of the "i4" by the director of the i4 program, David Ferrufino, pay attention to the mirrors. The M50 has the M mirrors with the upper inward facing wing, the e40 does not. You can see that all the drifting is done with the e40 (mirrors without wings), while the steering responsive demos are done with the M50 (mirrors with wings). In the suspension test, you can see the 2 cars following each other, with the M50 behind.

So I think it is fairly clear that the e40 drifts on command but Ferrufino is not able to do the same with the M50, so the only drift sequences are e40s...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts